Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

RTCW and Doom 3!!

Today I read that during a chat with Gamestar, the chief of Gray Matter, Greg Gudrich announced that RTCW (Return To Castle Wolfenstein) will use part of Doom 3's code!!
Unfortunately, he didn't say which part of the engine is used.
The site I read these news on is almost certain that the part they use isn't the graphics part but the net code of the engine.

P.S
I think it is obvious that even if some part is used, it is definetly not the graphics part of the engine.
I saw the pictures of the game at E3 2001 and while it looks very impressive indeed, it still has the Q3A usual engine look.

Update!!

In case you wonder, the pictures of the game taken from E3 2001 show at Los Angeles can be found here:
http://www.voodooextreme.com/articles/returningtowolfensteinate3.html

Update 2!!

The just opened offical site of the game can be found here:
http://www.activision.com/games/wolfenstein/
The site is still under construction.

Update 3!!
PC IGN has a homemade movie of RTCW on E3 2001!
The quality is eh but it is enough to get a good feeling of what is going on.
The movie can be found here:
http://pcmovies.ign.com/media/e32001/movies/returntowolfenstein01.mov

P.S
I wonder if the amazing fire effect is a result of the use of some part of the new Doom 3 engine...

Yeah, that bit of news turned up at a German games site too. Congratulations, you've posted something that's actually true ! :-b

The code being talked about is certainly not the new graphics renderer. It's probably 'just' sound or network code or something.

I have to apologize for the Quake 4 being shown at E3 2001 for the Xbox news...
Next time, I'll check all the other sites to see if the news I read are true.

Guest Zchingo

MY GOD!!!!!!!!!! It looks NOTHING like the first Wolfenstein!!!!!!! About 4 million times better at least!!!!!!! And to think, the first one was kinda cartoony, RTCW looks lifelike!!!!!! I swear, the graphics look almost exactly like the ones in the MacWorld demo for DOOM 3. No questions about it, when I get a better comp, RTCW IS GONNA BE IN MY HANDS!!!!!!!!!!

Lord FlatHead said:

Yeah, that bit of news turned up at a German games site too. Congratulations, you've posted something that's actually true ! :-b

The code being talked about is certainly not the new graphics renderer. It's probably 'just' sound or network code or something.

Neither of those. They're not functional yet. Animation system? Nope. AI? They've been working on that for a long, long time. Scripting? That would change too much the Q3A code.

I have NO idea what could be.

I heard that the game was nearly finished already on last year's E3!
They are using the team arena terrain, that was already confirmed.
Now when I think about it, you are right!
I have no idea what could it be!
Watch the movie and tell me if you see something done that Q3A engine can't do the same way.

Zchingo said:

MY GOD!!!!!!!!!! It looks NOTHING like the first Wolfenstein!!!!!!! About 4 million times better at least!!!!!!! And to think, the first one was kinda cartoony, RTCW looks lifelike!!!!!! I swear, the graphics look almost exactly like the ones in the MacWorld demo for DOOM 3. No questions about it, when I get a better comp, RTCW IS GONNA BE IN MY HANDS!!!!!!!!!!

There's no doubt that it's a great looking game, but I think you'll find the system requirements aren't nearly as major as Doom 3's, because this game still uses good old light-map.