Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keyboardstalker

My first map and it's about killing Nazis.

link to map

This is my first map. I spent a few days working on it and I've decided to upload it here. If I've made any newbie map making mistakes please let me know because i'm new to this and i would love to know what i can do better.

I tested this map in GZDoom on the doom 2 IWAD. My map expects freelook and jumping and you need to crouch to get to one of the secrets so be advised on that

This is only one map and i have only one custom weapon in it, which are just dual pistols, so nothing fancy. It's a pretty short map, you can reasonably expect to finish it in 5 minutes or so. That said though, i tried my best to make it really difficult to beat. I recommend playing it in Ultra Violence mode since that's what i balanced the map for. I also put two secrets on the map so you can look for those.

The background music is a midi version of "Nazi Punks Fuck Off" by the Dead Kennedys

I don't exactly know what gameplay themes my map contains, but if i had to guess i'd call it "run and gun." I'm not quite sure though.

I'm planning on changing the title screen and HUD soon too.

Screenshot_Doom_20180224_225829.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180224_225951.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180224_225915.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180224_230017.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180224_230059.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180224_232206.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180224_230404.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180224_231204.png

Edited by Keyboardstalker

Looks pretty cool! Also for whoever wants to know what port needs, it looks like to be zdoom-compatible, according to one of the screenshots having a screen message.

8 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Looks pretty cool! Also for whoever wants to know what port needs, it looks like to be zdoom-compatible, according to one of the screenshots having a screen message.

Thanks! let me know what you think of it if you decide to try it out!

Welcome to map making. Here's a video of my first demo attempt.

As you can see, I didn't know how to get across the outdoor area with the big pillar things. If jump is required, you ought to mention that. Also, the top of a pillar is damaging, as seen in the video. Other than that, I didn't find that anything was broken.

Here are some specific things I did not care for:

1) "ghost" monsters.

2) You chose some odd textures for some of your door "frames." I'd go with doorstop or doortrak.

3) The marble texture by the BFG was out of place in my opinion

4) The impassable wall blocking the BFG was invisible

5) Pretty blatant misalignments on the stone texture by the water

6) the damaging water with no warning

7) the switch that literally told me I needed to backtrack.

Here are some general things to work on:

1) texture alignment in general

2) texture variation. There was some attention to detail, but not a lot. Lots of continuous straight pixels with the same texture. Not always bad, but probably not a good mapping habit to get into.

3) monster encounters. Too often I could just hide behind corners and shoot. Think about forcing the player into danger with some traps, etc.

4) the map was very straightforward. There were very few decisions to make as to which way to go. There was only one or two places where the map even hinted at what was coming through windows, etc. Most of the time it was just moving on from room to room. You might want to think about interconnecting some of the spaces and allowing multiple paths to the destination.

Keep on mapping. It's not horrible, so just keep polishing your skills. My advice is to spend more time working on gameplay because I think detailing finesse comes more naturally. 

EDIT: I should learn to read. You did say you have to jump. Sorry about that.

Edited by HAK3180

The map keeps kicking me to Underhalls after 5 seconds or so... Which version of GZDoom did you use? I tried 2.4.0 and 3.2.5 to no avail.

On 2/28/2018 at 12:39 PM, KVELLER said:

The map keeps kicking me to Underhalls after 5 seconds or so... Which version of GZDoom did you use? I tried 2.4.0 and 3.2.5 to no avail.

I used 2.4.0, i'm not sure what's causing the problem.

Edited by Keyboardstalker