Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bashe

Sky height

When I played Heretic (with Zdoom) the skies were tall enough to not tile when I looked up. I went into Wintex and checked the heigth. It was only 256x200. I thought the height for tall skies was 256x240. Does Heretic handle skies differently?

Yeah, I remember in vanilla Heretic, if you made the screen size smaller, the mountains would get really tall.

Vanilla Heretic and Hexen handle hi skies-they are 256x200. This is due to mouselook, so when You look up Your sky doesn't tile vertically.
Zdoom handles skies of many many height and width variations (even 512x512 or 64x64).

Well, that makes sense. So what your saying is that I could make a 256x200 sky for Doom and it wouldn't tile? Or Heretic and Hexen only?

Anyone know why the mountains got really tall in Vanilla Heretic when you reduced the screen size? Just a thought...

Probably the way the engine handles it. It does it in vanilla DooM, too. (I used to play E2 without a chink of red sky at one time)

(edit: I should've said with a smaller screen size)

DOOM textures are limited in height, but patches can be taller than the texture. When drawing a sky texture, the full patch is drawn rather than being clipped to the size of the texture. However, if you take Heretic's sky patch and put it into DOOM, it still won't work perfectly right. This is because the height the texture is centered at (along with a couple of other parameters) are changed in Heretic.

Eternity determines how to draw the sky by examining each texture before it is used as a sky the first time. It figures out what the tallest patch is, and then uses that height. If the height is less than 200, the sky is centered as it is in DOOM and the sky will be stretched if "stretch skies for mouselook" is turned on. Otherwise, it doesn't need to be stretched and is centered as it would be in Heretic.