Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yhe1

GZdoom saved games

Hello, excuse me if this question has been asked before, but why is it that if I update to a new version of Gzdoom or zdoom, all my saved games doesn't work anymore?

Can something be done about this? I used Quake sourceports and their savegames are compatible not only across different versions, but different ports.

Yes, play a port that focus more on backwards compatibility than modding features - the two are at odds with each other, as Quasar will tell you. If you like OpenGL, try GLBoom+.

Yhe1 said:

Hello, excuse me if this question has been asked before, but why is it that if I update to a new version of Gzdoom or zdoom, all my saved games doesn't work anymore?

Can something be done about this? I used Quake sourceports and their savegames are compatible not only across different versions, but different ports.

Savegames only become incompatible if something changes that can't be handled by the code anymore. It hasn't been for quite some time that savegames were made incompatible. The last savegame breaking change was made on 16. Sep. 2009.

No, nothing can be done about this. When the minimum supported savegame version is changed it means that the code underwent changes that render the old savegames unusable.

It's a good rule of thumb to wait until you finish whatever it is you are playing through before upgrading.

PrBoom+ seems to break save games rather often with updates.