Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
El Jeff

2 ENEMY COMMUNITY PROJECT [DEVELOPMENT THREAD]

Just now, ONETAPPYBOI said:

P.S. is the fact that you can make the revs not wake up in the YK fight intentional? 

Yes, YK fight is a sound-related gimmick. The whole point of it is to not wake up the rev gallery.

Spoiler

If you stand on sludge tiles, sound-blocking lines will prevent sound propagation. White tiles are connected with all the surrounding revs via out-of-bounds sector join magics, so if you have poor trigger discipline when fighting stuff you get deleted by the surrounding revs.

1 minute ago, Doomy__Doom said:

Yes, YK fight is a sound-related gimmick. The whole point of it is to not wake up the rev gallery.

Hide contents

If you stand on sludge tiles, sound-blocking lines will prevent sound propagation. White tiles are connected with all the surrounding revs via out-of-bounds sector join magics, so if you have poor trigger discipline when fighting stuff you get deleted by the surrounding revs.

I wanted to suggest this exact thing to make the fight more interesting. Great minds think alike.

Am i allowed to put in a cyberdemon in my map as a set piece? he will not attack the player and the player won't be able to attack him, he will just walk past the player at one point.

1 hour ago, ONETAPPYBOI said:

Am i allowed to put in a cyberdemon in my map as a set piece? he will not attack the player and the player won't be able to attack him, he will just walk past the player at one point.

Sounds like a tricky thing to achieve in boom format. If project lead allows that, would be very interesting to see.

9 hours ago, Vrhrlv said:

Sounds like a tricky thing to achieve in boom format. If project lead allows that, would be very interesting to see.

If he doesn't, i'll just do it with shotgunners and imps

hey @Thatonespymain, heres my submission for the slot allocated to me :)

Name: 10AngryishArchies
Monsters: Archviles and Imps
Description: Kind of a gimmicky map inspired by Vaguard 13 Angry Archviles, by skillsaw. Took about a month to make, has been playtested by a bunch of people and feedback has been taken into account. Coop spawns and some extra coop elements are included.
Custom Elements: 3 textures, a pair of switch textures, and a custom sky
Custom MIDI is Die Monster Die, by MFG38. I thought it was fitting.

Screenshots:
doom03.png.88c3668c8915a2e0eb66a07051e4b4f9.png

doom02.png.6af239dce842f297d9ef9cd5e10fcc27.png

doom01.png.8f1b8544f1c4ae836888dde2c43075e2.png

doom00.png.df31177d2a04e2e66d5bb1234ceff5fa.png

Link: https://mega.nz/file/YZI1VBCY#TZmmARe03jQls8R1XZtdlIeNp8Z5MvvxUC8zdNHrk28

28 minutes ago, Moazoom said:

hey @Thatonespymain, heres my submission for the slot allocated to me :)

Description: Kind of a gimmicky map inspired by Vaguard 13 Angry Archviles, by skillsaw. Took about a month to make, has been playtested by a bunch of people and feedback has been taken into account. Coop spawns and some extra coop elements are included.

Screenshots:
doom03.png.88c3668c8915a2e0eb66a07051e4b4f9.png

doom02.png.6af239dce842f297d9ef9cd5e10fcc27.png

doom01.png.8f1b8544f1c4ae836888dde2c43075e2.png

doom00.png.df31177d2a04e2e66d5bb1234ceff5fa.png

Link: https://mega.nz/file/YZI1VBCY#TZmmARe03jQls8R1XZtdlIeNp8Z5MvvxUC8zdNHrk28

The map is really hurt by the fact that it's 90% brown monotony. The colorful sky saves it from being completely boring, but still i would suggest changing up the textures for extra variety. The gameplay was surprisingly good, but, just like with the majority of submissions for this wad, you could spot traps and the only secret by the fact that the lines facing them weren't marked as "Show as 1-sided on the automap". The MIDI was chosen really well. The doors were too wide (generally you want them to be 8-16 units wide), and their ceiling wasn't FLAT20. Finally, the torches in the final area can be ambiguous especially since there isn't a yellow torch, i would suggest using the DOORRED, DOORBLU and DOORYEL textures.

Oh, and this floor texture is randomly different: doom114.png.0ee818a6ed764edc8efe0be4cabe3e1a.png

The floor above this SUPPORT2 wall shouldn't be grass, too (And the SUPPORT3 texture is too narrow, make the wall 24 units long):doom115.png.463fc8a89c35f7e95fa6e1fe2ffae3e3.png

FDA - fda-2enemy49.rar

14 hours ago, ONETAPPYBOI said:

The map is really hurt by the fact that it's 90% brown monotony. The colorful sky saves it from being completely boring, but still i would suggest changing up the textures for extra variety. The gameplay was surprisingly good, but, just like with the majority of submissions for this wad, you could spot traps and the only secret by the fact that the lines facing them weren't marked as "Show as 1-sided on the automap". The MIDI was chosen really well. The doors were too wide (generally you want them to be 8-16 units wide), and their ceiling wasn't FLAT20. Finally, the torches in the final area can be ambiguous especially since there isn't a yellow torch, i would suggest using the DOORRED, DOORBLU and DOORYEL textures.

Oh, and this floor texture is randomly different: doom114.png.0ee818a6ed764edc8efe0be4cabe3e1a.png

The floor above this SUPPORT2 wall shouldn't be grass, too (And the SUPPORT3 texture is too narrow, make the wall 24 units long):doom115.png.463fc8a89c35f7e95fa6e1fe2ffae3e3.png

FDA - fda-2enemy49.rar

Thanks for all the feedback, I will implement it soon! :)  just gotta get over mapping exhaustion first lol

Also what is the FDA lump for?

18 hours ago, Moazoom said:

My blind order of doors was blue->yellow->RL->red.

I found it odd that only RL has a lock-in mechanic. I played BK fight straight, but once I realised the structure it was trivial to door-cheese the other 2 keys. I'd suggest a time-based lock-in (20-30s bars) over a switch one to force player to actually do the fights. Maybe do it differently for other fights, like force a drop into a pit and have a switch build stairs for variety?

RK can be trivially picked up without starting the fight.

I feel like monster-blocking linedefs are too handholdy - Viles are too limited in space even without door-cheese to be threatening, RK being probably the most in the face example. If you're doing it as a form of balancing for lower difficulties - consider configuring a tiny difficulty-based gap in the floor instead, so that the player can traverse freely but monsters cannot (you can do difficulty-based stuff with a vodoo closet + different TP destinations tagged for only some of UV/HMP/HTNR):

https://postimg.cc/mz4Snz6G

https://postimg.cc/3WJXDHs9

As it is, I enjoyed BK fight the most, height variation and juggling 2 viles in that space is a simple setup that works really well. Probably a good deal easier by just rushing top vile with RL, but that's fine too. Maybe actually lock RL behind anykey door?

Alright, here's my submission (finally).

Map Name: Meatshield Inc.
Author: MFG38
Textures: all vanilla
Music: "Boomer Kuwanger's Stage" from Mega Man X
Difficulty settings: Yes
Coop: To be added

Description: A techbase of some sort protruding from the side of a mountain. Not my best map, mostly
because I sort of rushed it to the finish line after not working on it for a month, but I had fun
with the concept regardless.

Map's in the MAP01 slot for the time being, will change it on my own behalf if necessary. UMAPINFO also included.

mfg_2enemy.zip

5 hours ago, Moazoom said:

Thanks for all the feedback, I will implement it soon! :)  just gotta get over mapping exhaustion first lol

Also what is the FDA lump for?

FDA - First Demo Attempt - is a demo recording of a blind playthrough.

1 hour ago, MFG38 said:

Alright, here's my submission (finally).

Map Name: Meatshield Inc.
Author: MFG38
Textures: all vanilla
Music: "Boomer Kuwanger's Stage" from Mega Man X
Difficulty settings: Yes
Coop: To be added

Description: A techbase of some sort protruding from the side of a mountain. Not my best map, mostly
because I sort of rushed it to the finish line after not working on it for a month, but I had fun
with the concept regardless.

Map's in the MAP01 slot for the time being, will change it on my own behalf if necessary. UMAPINFO also included.

mfg_2enemy.zip

The map suffers from a problem similar to the last map, except, instead of brown, 95% of the map is now silver grey. The gameplay was quite nice, except for the weird berserk at the end, which, now that i think about it, is pretty useful because the next map is pretty painful (haha you get it). The blue key seems out of place for me, especially since you've just gotten another key, i suggest you replace it with a switch.

FDA: fda-2enemy33.rar

17 minutes ago, ONETAPPYBOI said:

the weird berserk at the end

That berserk is there to give the player a health boost for the next map, in case the player takes so much damage in the last room that they drop to like 10%. Makes the start of the next map that much fairer.

19 minutes ago, ONETAPPYBOI said:

The blue key seems out of place for me, especially since you've just gotten another key, i suggest you replace it with a switch.

Fair point. I'll look into changing that up.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1slvK84kTr-dhv6JOgTlu-KDSPIpcHR6i/view?usp=sharing

Alright, got to fixing stuff.

Map 35 RC2 change list:
- Replaced starting pinky puzzle with a lift like the one after it.

- Added a clip before 2nd lift in the starting section as a hint for shooting the gargoyle.
- Minor texture fixes (misalignment etc).
- BK fight is now started by a switch.
- BK fight now has own dedicated Hard button to lower platform extensions (previously tied to Misery).
- BK fight phase 2 now has x2 Soulspheres instead of initial Megasphere. A blue armor is added if you choose the Hard option.
- YK fight is now required as 1st, opens up II and III.
- YK fight corner reworked (changed/moved raising setup, added a push effect against trying to hop on as it raises).
- YK now has a custom text texture with another hint to its nature.

Known issue: in BK fight you may not hear rev pyramid's wakeup sounds, I'm using a weird combination of fake walls and sound-blocking lines to work around geometry not designed initially for fake wall presence. Other sounds like breathing/rockets are audible. I might come up with a way to fix, but if not it gets to stay this way.

15 hours ago, ONETAPPYBOI said:

Can someone give me the fixed version of the DEH patch? the one in the main post just crashes the game.

i'm trying to find a way to make archviles ressurect other archviles without crashing the game, it may take a while

5 minutes ago, Thatonespymain said:

i'm trying to find a way to make archviles ressurect other archviles without crashing the game, it may take a while

pretty easy with DEHEXTRA

NoReason speedmaps should have that particular dehacked feature to reference. Or Legion of the Balls of Steel, afair it borrows vile dehacked from NoSp.

Level name: Waste Processing Facility
Slot: 01
Enemy Pair: Imp+Shotgunner;
Custom Textures: WFALL1-4 by me, sky from Doom E1;
MIDI: DOOM from Doom 2;
Difficulty settings and co-op things included, maybe I'll look into adding deathmatch too.

Notes: Tried to go for a vanilla feel with this one, with a few enhancements. Contains some puzzles, however, they require little brainpower to solve. 
Some screenshots (with things disabled, as usual):

Spoiler

image.png.cc73fa0338ca512b084424246448bea8.pngimage.png.02380ad1db4a65c2f3cfb48c2e63873b.png

image.png.f5964666e1a49dc0ce6039f9abfd1b3d.pngimage.png.e51d8c1f5259874bc725a2dc5d9ce0da.png

P.S. Also includes a slightly newer version of MAP34 with some fixes of middle textures not rendering properly when in software mode. It still may sometimes happen, but it won't be nowhere near as noticeable as before.

Download: TheChasm-final.rar

On 8/11/2022 at 7:36 PM, Emperor S P O O N said:

Tell you what: I'll upload the current version of the wad, then include additional textures at important spots if you'd count animated textures as one texture. It needs some extensive Co-op playtesting because I wasn't able to do it myself.

Map Name:		"Rockets... Everywhere"
Map Author:		Emperor S P O O N
Complevel:		9 (Boom v2.01)
Custom Sky:		"INTSKY09" from Mechadon's Box 'o' Skies
Custom Midi:		"Bone Man Do Be Ballin'" by Emperor S P O O N
Additional Resources:
	"WFALL(1-4)" from 32in24_15_tex_v2

Tested Source Ports:
	GZDoom 		version 4.7.1
	DSDA-Doom 	version 0.24.2
	PrBoom+ 	version 2.6.2

RockEvery.zip

unrelated but what do you use to sequence midi, i have a song in mind that i want to midify for the intermission.

On 8/11/2022 at 7:36 PM, Emperor S P O O N said:

Tell you what: I'll upload the current version of the wad, then include additional textures at important spots if you'd count animated textures as one texture. It needs some extensive Co-op playtesting because I wasn't able to do it myself.

Map Name:		"Rockets... Everywhere"
Map Author:		Emperor S P O O N
Complevel:		9 (Boom v2.01)
Custom Sky:		"INTSKY09" from Mechadon's Box 'o' Skies
Custom Midi:		"Bone Man Do Be Ballin'" by Emperor S P O O N
Additional Resources:
	"WFALL(1-4)" from 32in24_15_tex_v2

Tested Source Ports:
	GZDoom 		version 4.7.1
	DSDA-Doom 	version 0.24.2
	PrBoom+ 	version 2.6.2

RockEvery.zip

Played it on HMP (my normal difficulty), fuck me it was a struggle.

imo the original name isnt fitting, it'll make more sense for it to be called "revenants ramming rockets up your rear"

jokes aside this map is a short map that'll brutalise you. i am not good at doom so i may be exaggerating but without a BFG this map will fuck you over.

the map is basically one fight but i have a SUPER low attention span so i dont mind that much actually, the intensity of the fight makes it worth it. This map isn't perfect, at times the revenants wont teleport in and if you find the BFG the map becomes a total cakewalk, but i enjoyed it. I was gonna say something else but i forgot it so i'm leaving this here so that if i see this later i'll get reminded of what i was gonna say so i'll say it.

1 hour ago, ONETAPPYBOI said:

Difficulty settings and co-op things included, maybe I'll look into adding deathmatch too.

Notes: Tried to go for a vanilla feel with this one, with a few enhancements. Contains some puzzles, however, they require little brainpower to solve. 

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.cc73fa0338ca512b084424246448bea8.pngimage.png.02380ad1db4a65c2f3cfb48c2e63873b.png

image.png.f5964666e1a49dc0ce6039f9abfd1b3d.pngimage.png.e51d8c1f5259874bc725a2dc5d9ce0da.png

P.S. Also includes a slightly newer version of MAP34 with some fixes of middle textures not rendering properly when in software mode. It still may sometimes happen, but it won't be nowhere near as noticeable as before.

I'll give it a more thorough run later (got through with some 200k/5s), but for now I have 3 complaints to lodge:

- Consider making doors with lifts behind them an "open stay" deal. It's really annoying to keep opening doors into lifts, esp. if you're gonna re-traverse the level on a secret hunt.

- Vent bars should be properly made see-through. We're in boom compat, special 242 is a thing: https://postimg.cc/gallery/Tnx8N5b

- The dark flashy area towards the end is very hard on eyes, it needs some proper light sequencing or something instead of the blanket stock 1s blink effect. If you want to stick to very vanilla, maybe play with adding some light textures/lamps and "light casts" with brighter blinking sectors and consistent lighting outside.

2 hours ago, ONETAPPYBOI said:

Reveal hidden contents

this map feels like a long lost TNT map, a nice mellow opener. it got me a few times, and the deep water really confused me. the detailing is a mix of vanilla and doom cute. this a good map. First time demo play download: SandyPetersen.rar

2 hours ago, Thatonespymain said:

at times the revenants wont teleport in and if you find the BFG the map becomes a total cakewalk

There should be an updated version of the map if you scroll down a bit. It should fix a few balancing issues and those teleport issues like you said, but like I said earlier it still needs playtesting for co-op. For the sake of convenience, I'll just re-upload it here.

RockEvery.zip