Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

Map Editor

I've recently got into the map building scene, and I've got a 'work in progress' for Quake 3 and I'm also trying to learn Sandbox (for Far Cry). Does anyone here know anything about the Doom 3 map editing tool, which I believe will be shipped with the game?. I'd be interested to see whether it's interface will be simalar to Sandbox in that you view the map 'within the game engine' so to speak, or whether it will be more like, say, GtkRadiant which uses the more traditional 3D perspective (presuambly without the 'grey void').

I'm guessing if the editor ships with the game, it's going to be much more powerful than Radient, but also more difficult I would imagine.

However, with some clever thinking they could make a powerful, easy editor - like say, BUILD for Duke3d. It'll be interesting to see how it works, I admit.

I'll probably try making a map or two if its not insanely difficult.

The Doom 3 editor is an updated version of Q3Radiant (or GTKRadiant if you like), so it looks and feels much the same. It's been a year or so since I've tried to make a map for the leaked alpha, but if I remember correctly nothing has really changed apart from a few neat new features. Like the 3D window, which you can set to render your map real-time with full lighting - a lot easier than having to sit through a BSP compile every time you change a lighting detail as was the case with Quake-engined games. I'm sure BNA! can give you a much more detailed explanation in case he should drop by.

The grey void is still there :)

Lord FlatHead said:

The Doom 3 editor is an updated version of Q3Radiant (or GTKRadiant if you like), so it looks and feels much the same. It's been a year or so since I've tried to make a map for the leaked alpha, but if I remember correctly nothing has really changed apart from a few neat new features. Like the 3D window, which you can set to render your map real-time with full lighting - a lot easier than having to sit through a BSP compile every time you change a lighting detail as was the case with Quake-engined games.

The grey void is still there :)

Well that sounds cool- I like the way Radiant works (hopefully id won't have changed it) and by the way you descibe it it has the best bits of the Sandbox editor, too.