Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Margsabl

Seizure of Aventia (WIP) | Formally Tartarus Inferno and Sheogouths Despair

In the caverns underneath Dormagon, City Capital of Aventia, you fall from your bunk, the ground shaking and walls crumbling around you. You grab your pistol and flee from the room, you slowly start to hear screams, at first human, but becoming more demonic the closer you approach. Opening the door to the Geothermal tunnels, you find the abandoned ruins of a long dead civilization. It appears it now has new inhabitants...

Seizure of Aventia is a sort of remaster of two of my previous Wads, Tartarus Inferno and Sheogouths Despair. This 16 map wad (in the future hopefully 20) takes you through the caverns of the secret UAC base below the ancient ruins on the outskirts of Dormagon, to the streets of Dormagon, and to hell itself!

Currently MAP01-MAP16 are available, with MAP16 skipping to MAP20 until the levels are more filled in. There are currently 4 new maps on top of some remastered versions of older maps from Tartarus Inferno. I would like to go back and update Sheodes more to be more in line with the remaster of Tartarus Inferno. 

I am releasing it in this WIP state simply because I don't have the time to work on it as I use to. What would normally take me a few weeks now takes me months simply because of my new job. So I hope you will play what is currently available for SEIVENT and enjoy the absolute unbalanced mess it currently is. Please leave feedback, it is incredibly helpful to know what direction I should take things.

Life update 2/7/2020

The mapwich 2 is now in its testing phase. I feel comfortable picking up progress on Seivent again. Mapwich 2 was a lot of fun and I hope all of you check it out once it goes into public beta because the map Obake_the_Sincerest and I made is probably the longest and most visually complicated map I have ever worked on. When Mapwich 2 releases, be sure to give Argobak Rumble a playthrough and let me know what you think!

Life update 12/22/2019

Progress on this wad is going to slow even further, I am hopefully participating in the upcoming Mapwich 2. And I want to be my best for whoever I get partnered with so I am stepping back from mapping until the Mapwich 2 begins. 

Tested in GZDoom 4.2.4 with the Following
Freelook
Jumping
Hardware Rendering
Doom II IWAD
The WAD Begins with MAP01 and ends once you beat MAP16

Download Link is at the bottom of the Post

Seizure of Aventia Changelog

What is currently being worked on

MAP07 has been reworked: Removed BFG and replaced it with Plasma Gun, removed some enemies to account for the lack of BFG

MAP09 has been reworked: BFG spam no longer required, still way too much ammo and health but I really like the direction it has been taken. Just have to overhaul MAP10 in the same vein as MAP09 Messing around with OTEX to see how it fits with the wad OTEX felt great but the enourmas task of retexturing everything took away 100% of the time I had to make new maps, rebalance and finish the wad

Going through current maps and adding Dynamic lights, fixing texture alignment

Slowly working on Map17 STILL

Currently Using Tristan Clarks Midi's

Playing through every level to make sure pistol start is possible

Removing COOP starts from the wad, making this a singleplayer only wad

Changing progression of certain maps and removing unnecessary clutter and button switches DONE

Adding transition textures to walls when changing textures, changing height of certain floors when changing textures

Attempting to make certain liquids "glow" through dynamic lights didn't really work out 

Still need to add in ending text and overhaul map20

Version: 0.8 PUBLIC

MAP01 Reworked progression of map

MAP02 some bug fixes and ending changed

MAP03 Completely new map. (Old map moved to MAP04)

MAP06 Removed FOG

MAP07 Completely new map. (old map moved to MAP08)

MAP10 intermission added

MAP11-14 Giant level split into original 4 levels they were supposed to be

MAP15 Completely new map. Based on Half Life 1.

MAP16 Completely new map. Survival type map.

OLD TARTARUS INFERNO UPDATES

Update: 1.03

MAP01 Added Multiple Monster Closets when picking up Yellow Key

MAP01 Added Multiple Monster Closets when picking up Blue Key

MAP01 Fixed misaligned Textures on stairway after yellow door

MAP01 Added a few more monsters to room after yellow door

MAP02 Added Multiple Monster Closets when picking up Blue Skull Key

MAP03 Added Multiple Monster Closets when opening door to Yellow Skull Key

MAP03 Added some design to passage leading to button that opens yellow key door

MAP03 Added Monster Spawn when picking up Red Key

MAP04 Added Monster Spawns on picking up Blue Key

MAP04 Added Monster Spawns on Picking up Yellow Skull Key

MAP04 Added Monster Closet on Picking up Yellow Skull Key

MAP04 Added Monster Spawns on Picking up Red Key

MAP04 Added more monsters to room directly after Yellow Door

MAP04 Added multiple switches, kill activation's, and monster spawns to Room after yellow Door

MAP04 COMPLETELY redesigned room directly after Yellow Door. Pits of lava, pillars, hell structures etc.

MAP05 UNSTUCK a load of enemies that were stuck due to vanilla monsters being slightly bigger than their Brutal Doom Counterparts

MAP07 Changed a few textures and added a few lava pools and falls to give the map a bit more variety for the eye.

MAP07 Placed a couple Armors

MAP08 Added some more monsters to the first two boss rooms

MAP08 Added a couple more variants of monsters to the entire level

Update: 1.02

Fixed a ton of Misaligned Textures

Map01 changed "super secret" Door location to make it more obvious. Also made "window" near cargo bay block everything

Map04 added "CRTV" next to a switch to let the player know exactly what it did. Shortened path to blue key. Darkened some areas. Reduced the enemy count. Changed some Textures. Added one new secret.

Map05 Moved blue key somewhere more obvious

Update: 1.01

Fixed platform with red skull key in Map02 not lowering

Updated visuals near end of Map04

UtOYIjn.png

GGQoqa8.png

KzK0k3x.png

bT4UMYe.png

PoJViMZ.png

w1mEPY4.png

IN3BDa7.png

aUxKexH.png

Mz3EdsH.png

VZAGaHV.png

JZwhK1V.png

LOhvnX3.png

zksA7sW.png

lzbrqvy.png

KOkrEid.jpg

29G8tWC.png

NGaUjsX.png

InDKBC8.png

hXNR8zu.png

nhw079q.jpg

XRoQnrB.png

YRKBoJM.png

aJxsOLE.png

Dd9Lqvg.jpg

OzfhadV.png

yTFh5Y4.png

syRV6rX.png

TNDwM8A.png

0uL0MNS.png

ZJNpSg3.png

SEIVENT.zip

Edited by Margsabl : Resuming progress on wad

I have made some decent enough changes to post some new screenshots. Just general changes I wanted to show off. 1st pic might not be different I'm not entirely sure.

5Py7Ipd.png

2HgHDHV.png

3XtqOlH.png

3xOE3kR.png

Some more Screenshots of upcoming changes. I wasn't satisfied with map04 and made further changes. Here are some before and after images to show what I mean

NOT CURRENTLY RELEASED

BEFORE

r9i2u36.png

AFTER

cs7G9Qb.png

BEFORE

bRE3bfS.png

AFTER

AbbsxLM.png

This wad was heaps of fun. Played up to like map 4 or 5 I think? Good stuff for a first project! Few minor kinks to iron out but it was a blast

4 hours ago, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/435872879

I playtest this at 1:09:10 into this livestream. An interesting experience.

Hey thanks for playing the wad! Currently watching the stream and have not finished the stream yet, still watching you play through map01 as I type this, but its so weird seeing someone who isn't me playing through the map. And yes, I am that streamer you keep talking about lol. You said that at a point it looks like there should be a monster where the blue key is and your right. I removed it because I felt having a cyberdemon on MAP01 was a bit overkill and because I mostly played with brutal doom, an update messed with the cyberdemon and it could no longer teleport away which is what I wanted. So now the blue key is there. The odd placements of invisibility spheres is actually for brutal doom because the invisibility spheres are replaced with marines you can have help you. Again even the criticisms are music to my ears. I sorely wanted feedback on these maps and its nice to finally have it!

UPDATE:

Finished the stream of the wad and ended up just mapping away while watching attempting to fix things as the stream went on. I doubt you'll give the wad another run but your criticisms were like a "OH DUH why didn't I think of that?" moment while watching and I immediately set out to make changes. Playtesting your own maps with only two other people who don't even play doom to help ends with a lot of missed things. Thank you so much for the feedback! Hopefully anyone who plays the wad in the future will enjoy it better because of the changes made due to your help.

4 hours ago, Bushpig2dope said:

This wad was heaps of fun. Played up to like map 4 or 5 I think? Good stuff for a first project! Few minor kinks to iron out but it was a blast

Thank you for the feedback! I'm glad people are playing my maps!

Edited by CaptainMitchell

New Major update, 4 new maps, combined Sheogouths Despair with Tartarus inferno and renamed wad to Seizure of Aventia, SEIVENT for short. Changed progression of some old maps. Added in more scripting. New pictures have been uploaded. Tested with vanilla. Updated to gzdoom 4.2.4.  Added an intermission. WAD is WIP and will slowly be updated. New job requires most of my time and leaves little time for mapping. 16 maps total. Have fun everyone!

Just played the first 6 maps. Upon entering, the texture work had me scratching my head but it doesn't take long to come to terms with it. The levels, from what I've seen so far, are fairly unique to each other. The difficulty starts off low but quickly builds up.

Overall, I like it so far. Gzdoom features are always welcome.

Edit: So I trekked through two long boring maps filled with monsters and BFG spam only to have my gear reset. Sigh. And the worst part was that it gave me the default pistol even though I am playing with a gameplay mod.

Edited by Bryan T

7 hours ago, Bryan T said:

Just played the first 6 maps. Upon entering, the texture work had me scratching my head but it doesn't take long to come to terms with it. The levels, from what I've seen so far, are fairly unique to each other. The difficulty starts off low but quickly builds up.

Overall, I like it so far. Gzdoom features are always welcome.

Edit: So I trekked through two long boring maps filled with monsters and BFG spam only to have my gear reset. Sigh. And the worst part was that it gave me the default pistol even though I am playing with a gameplay mod.

What gameplay mod are you using? I'm new to the whole gear reset thing and scripting is still pretty new to me, hopefully I can figure out a way to do it in the future that keeps default weapons from mods. And yeah i'm not happy with MAP09 and MAP10 either. Currently adding dynamic lights to everything and will probably do a gameplay pass on those two. I'm thinking harder monsters, but remove the majority of the enemies? Don't know currently, I think I need to just remove the BFG from the active pool and keep it a secret only. I'm worried the gameplay flow will be altered too much from the removal of the BFG and would need completely new maps to compensate for it.

I have been working on changing up MAP09 so here are some screenshots to show some before and after changes for the map

BEFORE

7jbCHu2.jpg

AFTER

I39n3mL.jpg

BEFORE

Xd5QIY1.jpg

AFTER

S80RpJP.jpg

BEFORE

emCnwn0.jpg

AFTER

0n6RPKp.jpg