Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevander

Doom 64 soundtrack in module format?

Has anyone done this yet? I know there was talk of it in the past but I never managed to find any links or finished versions.

I would greatly appreciate if this existed so I could incorporate it in D64RTR and finally drop the FluidSynth/SF2 requirement that constantly causes people to get stuck with bells and dings when incorrectly set up, and then giving me complaints about the "horrible new music."

I don't think so, but in theory it should be simple enough - rip the samples, transpose the track and sample data into a tracker program, make sure it all sounds right.

Since we've already got the samples and the sequences, it should be pretty much a cakewalk. The downside, of course, is that it will wind up somewhat larger than a pure SF2, since each track would have to have its own copy of the samples; that is to say, there is no way to make it reference a master sample "library" which is basically what a SF2 would be.

If this is the case and because it's a Switch, we certainly won't be able to mod Doom 64 on it. Chances are we will likely end up with the soundtrack sounding something like GZDoom SF2, which would be a bummer because I hate not hearing how environmental the Doom 64 soundtracks are. Spaces Between being my favorite soundtrack for how strangely relaxing it sounds compared to all the others.

13 hours ago, Brian Reilly jr. said:

If this is the case and because it's a Switch, we certainly won't be able to mod Doom 64 on it. Chances are we will likely end up with the soundtrack sounding something like GZDoom SF2, which would be a bummer because I hate not hearing how environmental the Doom 64 soundtracks are. Spaces Between being my favorite soundtrack for how strangely relaxing it sounds compared to all the others.

It'd actually be relatively easy for something like that to just have a looping waveform version of the track. Lots of Switch games use Opus for audio, and that stuff can compress down seriously small.