Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pyborg

A Question Regarding The Steam Port Of Ultimate Doom

I just got Ultimate Doom through Steam. I'm just wondering what source port of Doom the game is using. I know when you click "Launch DOS Version" it's talking about the OG DOS version (This was the option I picked. It ran through DOSBox so I assumed it was the original.). But when you just hit "Play Ultimate Doom" what source port does it use?

It's its own new port, using Unity as a wrapper. They updated it recently so you can use original DOS or the new port. Regardless, it's still better to use another port like Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, PrBoom or GZDoom depending on what kind of play style you want.

Thanks dude! I just wanted to know if it used a heavily modified source port like GZDoom. I'm a little bit of a purist when it comes to Doom. I'll probably stick to the DOS version for the most part, but I'll probably try it (The Steam unity version) out to see if I like it. Have a tasty day!

Nah it's nothing like GZDoom. I believe the port Steam uses is supposedly pretty vanilla but I could be wrong. Chocolate Doom on the other hand IS completely vanilla, bugs and all. Works natively on modern Windows so there's no need for DOSBox.

Oh fun! Thanks dude. I don't think it did. The music was the originals (digitized versions), but it did not let me customize controls outside of mouse sensitivity.

Edited by Pyborg

13 hours ago, Nevander said:

it's still better to use another port like Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, PrBoom or GZDoom depending on what kind of play style you want.

The Steam's port is better optimized for a classic Doom experience in some respects. It's not inverior to those ports.