Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rudolph

Noah Gervais Does Star Wars: Jedi Knight

Noah is Great and I´m glad he gave the original EU it´s dues in a balanced fashion, but why just post his video without your thoughts man? What did you think about it, or what were your experiences with the series @Rudolph?

I have fond memories of the Jedi Knight II demo, easily one of the greatest I have ever played; they took a scrapped level and retooled it into a stand-alone level that in many ways works better than the full game. What I most clearly remember from Jedi Academy is me playing the side-mission where you encounter Bobba Fett and wondering why the guy was still alive; at the time, I did not know the character had been retconned into having survived the Sarlacc Pit. I never managed to get Jedi Knight 1 running properly - nor do I really care to, as I do not even remember enjoying Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast the last time I gave it a shot - and I am waiting for a good source port to give Dark Forces another shot.

My only regret with the video is that Noah did not include Shadows of the Empire; while it did not involve Kyle Katarn nor Jedis, in many ways, it does feel like the missing link between between Dark Forces and Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II.

And I do think it is funny that George Lucas was reportedly taken aback by Dark Forces' violence.

Edited by Rudolph

I have not replayed it since, but I remember it not only giving a good taste of the full game, but also being tighter and better paced.

Rewatching Noah's video, I remembered how much I could not stand those platforming sequences upon replaying the game years later. I managed to get as far as Nar Shaddaa and then I got fed up with the combination of jumping over bottomless pits and dodging sniper fire.

Jedi Knight DF2 was a game I played aimlessly and constantly (and badly) and with cheat codes and strategy guides as a kid. This is fun to watch. I think he’s more cynical but still on point about JKDF2 cutscenes. But as a kid who is watching Star Wars, talking about it with friends, special editions in theaters (he seems to forget there was special editions bringing Star Wars back before prequels), etc, watching Jedi knight cutscenes with the uncritical eye of a child just felt like I was watching more Star Wars. Same with rebel assault 2 and all the remade xwing/tie fighter titles which also had random live action cut scenes. I don’t think he’s arguing this point though but I think he maybe is a slightly older generation then me and couldn’t experience the wonder ahead of the cheesiness even though he can acknowledge it, so I thought I’d add that for anyone who can now only see mediocre CGI and low budget green screen acting.

Also, the main Jedi is named Qu Rahn. This is clearly a pre-9/11 world where no one would even think about the name besides being vaguely eastern as the actor was, except for any Muslims playing who be like “oh snap”. I can’t imagine that now 

EDIT: later in the video it confirms we’re the same age but I guess my takeaway was just different

Edited by insertwackynamehere

Jedi Outcast still looks great. Scales up to HD resolutions wonderfully.

It looks like he's playing Jedi Knight 1 with some type of graphics mod. The textures are certainly higher resolution. Actually makes it lose some of its charm cause I appreciate the more pixel art-esque textures of the original.

@insertwackynamehere I did not get the impression that he disliked the live-action cutscenes at all; while he acknowledged their cheesiness and low-production values, he seemed to wholeheartedly agree with you there, drawing a parallel between them and the goofy, janky charm of the Original Trilogy and even going as far as to say that the FMV cutscenes were more interesting to watch than The Rise of Skywalker.

Edited by Rudolph

Noah made another Star Wars video! Too bad, it is about Knight of the Old Republic...