Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFG38

How (and when) to host a community project

That makes sense, I think I have a tendency to make everything extensively covered and completely explained. Must be the teacher in me. Sorry for the inconvenience.

My father's a Professor... i Know the feeling of having to explain your terms to the crowd...  explains some things about myself i suppose...

@DoomGappy how many community projects have you started and completed so far? I think you're rushing a little bit with the lecturing, don't you think? You have made one map, and i should say, a very basic one. You're in no position to lecture people about how to run a community projects, to tell them how decisive and strong they need to be mentally (Seriously? Do you think you're lecturing children or something?), especially since this thread already covers pretty much everything that an inexperienced project leader needs to know, written by people who actually have some history and authority here. It was like two weeks ago when you were like "hey guys, here's my first map", and now you're like "let me tell you how to make maps, and run community projects". I commend your enthusiasm, but sometimes it comes across like you're having a bit of an ego and also a desperate need to prove yourself.

21 hours ago, Tangra said:

@DoomGappy how many community projects have you started and completed so far? I think you're rushing a little bit with the lecturing, don't you think? You have made one map, and i should say, a very basic one. You're in no position to lecture people about how to run a community projects, to tell them how decisive and strong they need to be mentally (Seriously? Do you think you're lecturing children or something?), especially since this thread already covers pretty much everything that an inexperienced project leader needs to know, written by people who actually have some history and authority here. It was like two weeks ago when you were like "hey guys, here's my first map", and now you're like "let me tell you how to make maps, and run community projects". I commend your enthusiasm, but sometimes it comes across like you're having a bit of an ego and also a desperate need to prove yourself.

I might be rushing into things, but I don't think it's out of a necessity to prove myself or anything of the sort, just out of the need to aid people in their way have smoother experiences and be more aware of troubles and roadblocks that may arise. Thanks for pointing out how I may come across, though, I will retarct my comment and work on things until a later date. 

Hey, @tangra. I'm quoting you to give a more complete answer because yesterday I Just typed that in a hurry. Whenever someone calls me out on something I feel like I'm in the wrong automatically and kinda shut down. It sucks. Still, I wanted to leave a longer answer because I'm going to take a week or so off from Doom in general because I've been overexerting myself. I just wanted to clear some things up before I go because I don't want people to think it was a "gets criticized once, fucking dies" type of situation.

I have been a member of the community and I have been mapping on and off for about 6 years, give or take. This year I got into it for real. Even though I have only ever officially released one map, (which really is simple indeed, thanks for the compliment) I've created about 10 or 12 that have gone unpublished. I'm also helping a friend finish a community project and run another one, as well as having one project of my own in development. The things I wrote were the things I'd learned so far, and I still plan on writing more. I'll probably have learned much more about that. What I wrote so far is mostly focused on the technical and organizational aspects of running a project and dealing with things in an organized manner. I understand that some of the parts may have been worded poorly. Still, how many projects may have failed here because their leaders were inexperienced and didn't even know about some of the tools and platforms available for their use?

What I really disliked about your message was the implication that just because someone is younger or a novice, they need to "sit back and listen" or that "they can't contribute because they don't know what they're talking about". Even though both things can be true and have been true many times in the past, even for me when I was younger, it's important to remember that younger or inexperienced people can still have positive insights and ideas. Discarding them just because of a perceived lack of experience is just as harmful. Besides, this is just an account. You don't know whether I'm someone who just arrived in the community, or a prolific mapper who came back after a long hiatus. I'll tell you right away, I'm not, but I could be. I also don't know the same thing about you, and honestly, it really doesn't matter to me. For all I know from your registration date, you are much newer here than me. Should I treat you less because of it? I don't think so.

I absolutely love to teach, transmitting knowledge I have acquired in a simple and concise way that anyone can understand is what I try to do everyday and my greatest source of satisfaction. It also is one of the best ways for me to actually learn things. That's really all that matters to me. The problem is that as soon as I learn something new, I get very excited and want to transmit that knowledge right away, and that can lead to rushing out things that are unpolished. I'm sorry if the way my writing is worded felt like a lecture to you, but that's my writing style and there is not much I can do about it.

I still appreciate what you said yesterday. It reminded me that I needed to humble myself a bit and get over myself, which is always a good reminder. It gave me insight into other situations too. I still haven't finished the projects and I still have much to learn. There are, indeed, much bigger fish out there who have experienced and conducted things much bigger than I have, and whom I respect a lot. I will not interfere or suggest these changes be implemented any longer, but I just wanted to note once more that my only purpose here is to make some things that may seem obvious to more experienced people be more apparent to younger members who have never taken such endeavors. Sorry for the wall of text, I'm off. 

Edited by DoomGappy : added information

I never said or implied newer members can't contribute, they obviously can, and they should. I do it too within my limits. What newbies, like you and me, shouldn't do, is act like pros and lecture people about stuff they themselves are inexperienced about. And by that, of course, i don't mean giving feedback on a map, like we all do.

It doesn't matter how long you claim to be mapping or learning the craft, i've played your maps, and they tell me all i need to know - you're inexperienced. You've just volunteered to two community projects, but the fact remains that none of them are yet completed, and you're yet to start your own community project. So what exactly makes you an expert in community projects, that you feel the need to lecture people in a way that honestly feels like you're explaining things to idiots, or little children? It comes across as arrogant, especially since this thread already covers everything that is needed. You're the only one here who thinks the thread is flawed, and you can do it better than members with 10 years of experience and multiple successful CP's under their belt. There is no need for a guide on how to organize folders and set up google documents, and even less, a guide on how to be "mentally strong, decisive in settling disputes and be kind to people". Again, who do you think you're lecturing here? Stupid people who don't know how to behave? It's very arrogant coming from someone with no experience. And you've already been told, once or twice, that the last thing this thread needs is more pointless information to overcomplicate it.

It was also very insecure of you to immediately delete the link to your guide, the moment someone criticized you on it, so no one else can see what the critique is about, and then return a day later to once again edit your response, trying to justify yourself with a wall of text that doesn't really change much. And i want to be clear, i'm not trying to humble you or anything, i'm just saying it how i see it, others might view your lectures differently, but i call them seeking validation and a sense of importance. If that's what your goals are, it's perfectly fine, but you shouldn't be surprised if you get called on it again. I personally won't bother you again, do your thing. You already know what i think about it.

Other than that, keep up the hard work on your projects. I'm sure with your daily activity you will improve in no time, much faster than me, and i can only applaud you for that.

Edited by Tangra