Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maltra

Awful screen tear on GZDoom

So I recently installed GZDoom, when after a while of having vsync turned on, the game started to suffer from a really weird screen tear on the lower half of the screen, turning vsync off doesn't do anything and nothing I tried seems to work, the only thing that caused something to happen was turning renderer interpolation off, which slightly mitigated the screen tear, although it was still noticeable

I'm playing with opengl es, 1920 x 1080 resolution on the ubuntu x64 build, if that's important, does anyone have an idea of anything I can do to solve it?

Tried to replicate the issue on windows to no avail, so maybe the problem only happens on the linux version, weird

Edited by maltratamesa : Adding some other stuff

16 minutes ago, maltratamesa said:

So I recently installed GZDoom, when after a while of having vsync turned on, the game started to suffer from a really weird screen tear on the lower half of the screen, turning vsync off doesn't do anything and nothing I tried seems to work, the only thing that caused something to happen was turning renderer interpolation off, which slightly mitigated the screen tear, although it was still noticeable

I'm playing with opengl es, 1920 x 1080 resolution on the ubuntu x64 build, if that's important, does anyone have an idea of anything I can do to solve it?

What is the graphics card you are using?

1 minute ago, Redneckerz said:

What is the graphics card you are using?

Intel hd graphics 630, don't have an actual graphics card

If you're running it in a window, it might be the compositor causing the tearing. If it's in full-screen mode, it might be the global OpenGL settings (not sure about Intel, but nvidia lets the global settings override the application settings if you let it).

2 hours ago, maltratamesa said:

Intel hd graphics 630, don't have an actual graphics card

Update the drivers or revert to an older one. Or use Vulkan 

Else you are likely out of luck. There are more Intel GPU related issues regarding GZDoom. Intel and GZ aren't the best match.

13 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Or use Vulkan

Thing is Vulkan doesn't run that well on my pc, I'll see if it's a driver problem, thanks for answering!

14 hours ago, ChillyWilly said:

If you're running it in a window, it might be the compositor causing the tearing. If it's in full-screen mode, it might be the global OpenGL settings (not sure about Intel, but nvidia lets the global settings override the application settings if you let it).

Thanks! I'll look into that later

Guess I'll be using lzdoom for now haha

What did you have your frame rate cap set to?  I've noticed on my end that if I have fps capped at 60 with vsync turned on I'll get screen tear.  If I set it to 75 or higher or turn off vsync, the tearing goes away.

I'm on Windows not Linux, but I've also noticed there's some strange interaction between vsync and FPS cap, and which combination to use to avoid tearing is different depending on whether it's set to OpenGL, ES, or Vulkan. I'd try various combinations (vsync on no cap, vsync off cap at various settings, both on) and see if one solves the issue (for me, vsync on solves it in OpenGL, but with Vulkan I need to set a cap but turn vsync OFF to get it to work).

18 hours ago, TruthInFiction said:

What did you have your frame rate cap set to?  I've noticed on my end that if I have fps capped at 60 with vsync turned on I'll get screen tear.  If I set it to 75 or higher or turn off vsync, the tearing goes away.

I had it set to 60, I will check if setting it to a higher framerate fixes it, thanks!

Edit: It works alright now

Edited by maltratamesa