Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
whatup876

Idea for a mod: Realistic Sight Doom

For a series that help push the first person shooter genre, i assume this would be a very innovative idea.

• The player is able to close one eye or another at the same time.
  • Depending on which eye is closed/open, the camera slightly changes to move to one side or another because of the eye positions.
  • The nose will always be visible on both sides but it's transparent and closing one eye makes the nose more noticeable on its respective eye view.
  • Aside from the nose, you have some black borders representing the realistic limit for your view or something.
  • Whenever Doomguy blinks (which is seen on the mugshot too), the screen shows a quick frame of a single color representing his eyelids.
  • Depending on light/darkness, the lids can be either black or some red tone.
  • You can also notice those small transparent organisms that even shake depending on the player's movement or if they get hit.

Maybe someone already did this but the closest i recall is an eyepatch mod that makes Doomguy wear an eyepatch and hads like a dark blurry thing at a side to simulate a lost eye.

I don't know if having the capability of closing one eye would be nice. What's very often missing in most FPSs, including Doom, is that the weapon doesn't obstruct sight too much. Having other weapon formats than pistols & rifles can make what you see more interesting. Using a bazooka for example makes visibility on one side almost completely blocked & a big telescopic sight means a lot visually. What about helmet or backpack mounted  weaponry?...

If I didn't already have a nose that my brain usually ignores or eyes that already blink, I would be all for this type of realistic detail if implemented well. But it could be very distracting in practice, and since most shooters usually don't even have realistic gun mechanics or have the ability to look down and see your characters feet, focusing on complicated eye mechanics seems even further away from what most developers would ever try to achieve. Doom 3 has a mod that adds occasional eye blinking (CED's Assets Pack, I believe), which is absurdly distracting and borderline unplayable. My eyes already blink in real life so adding another forced blink on top of my own while I'm trying to play is just far too much blinking. A strong focus on realism can be great with things that not everyone* has access to or the ability to do, like parkour or weapon handling, but I feel like it can only go so far until it starts becoming uncanny.

I do like this idea as a discussion though, and don't want to be a killjoy and say realism=tedium. Every mechanic you mentioned could actually be really fun in a non-shooter game, like those wacky physics based "simulator" games, or a horror game where you can't move and can only control your eyes. Though not necessarily to be realistic, but rather to be more effective with a specific type of narrative.