Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloo

Metal Man Lives Ep 1 The Escape (UPDATE)

UPDATE:

okay, wow this was awhile ago. I had completely forgotten that I had even posted this project on here lol. 

Well, here's the thing: I'm gonna go ahead and open this up to the community and say which spots are claimed and which ones aren't. This mapset is technically using vanilla stuff, but made for PRBOOM+ at comp level 2 (I don't remember what I was thinking so please don't ask lol) These maps will get tested for limit removing source ports in the near future.

The maps will be connected so entrances and exits need to transition into the next level. We are using vanilla textures, but if you want to add a texture (As long as you get permission from the texture artist if required and please let me know if you do), you may, but it needs to line with the aesthetic. 

The story is about a guy named MetalMan and the music in the maps are his playlists on his iPod (Don't ask how he smuggled his iPod into prison, you won't like the answer), which is why we are using midi versions of actual songs for this one mostly instead of my own midis.

Map 1: Prison Break: Tyson Map (Claimed by MajaMystic)

-Tyson Map, so beserk all the way out.

Midi: Unknown, may be grabbing one of my metal midis for this one

Story:

Spoiler

MetalMan has been placed in prison, fortunately for him, his guard forgot to lock his cell. He hears that the catacombs is the easiest way out of the Prison.

Map 2: This Room Sleeps One and Half (Claimed By Bloo, 90% done, has some bugs I need to fix)

-This is a catacombs map with an interesting gimmick 

Midi: In Flames- The Chosen Pessimist

Story:

Spoiler

After escaping the Prison, Metalman must fight through tricks and traps of the underground catacombs.

Map 3: Cliffs of Dover (Claimed by Bloo, 99% done)

-indoor and outdoor slaughter map. Went through several revisions to get to this point.

Midi: Andromeda by Dance With The Dead

Story:

Spoiler

Oh man, he made it through, and he's finally about to be on the surface. But he sits in a valley with no real means of escape.... except through the Demon Base.

Map 4: TechBase (Claimed by DoomGuy999)

-Midi: Originally Unsainted by Slipknot

Story:

Spoiler

After battling his way through the Cliffs of Dover, he takes an elevator up to the techbase to continue his escape. What horrors will he find behind these walls?

Map 5: These Walls (Claimed By Bloo, 80% done)

-Midi: These Walls By Dream Theater

Story:

Spoiler

The base seems to have been connected to a building in the city. Metalman is confused. He doesn't remember his hometown being infested with demons.

Map 6:City Level (Claimed by Belmont)

-Story:

Spoiler

Metal man must escape the city

Map 7: Wasteland (Claimed by NecrumWarrior)

-Midi: Going to be a Between the Buried and Me song from the Colors album

Story:

Spoiler

MetalMan escaped the city, but has he truly escaped?

Map 8: Secret (Claimed, Secret Author)

=============

Original Post

Spoiler

Hey everyone! Nice to meet you all. I am Bloo, a midi composer for a some doom projects and I decided to try my hand at mapping. This is my first real endeavor at trying to make maps for Doom 2; I've made some maps in the past, but they never got too far until I completed map 3 of this map set that I am currently working on. 

The idea of this map set is to do an episodic structure. Personally I have found most megawads to be super taxing to get through and they usually dip in quality about halfway through them, so what I've decided to do is make a series of Doom 2 episodes consisting of 7 maps plus 1 or 2 secret maps per wad. 

The theme of this wad will be doomguy escaping from prison on his way to freedom. I would like all the map names to be a musical reference of some kind and I would like to manage what midis will be used for each map (I will either create an original midi or find an existing one that fits that hasn't been used much in other projects). 

This mapset is done in Doom compatibility running in PRBOOM at comp level 3, and the theme for the previous and following map will be at the beginning and ends of maps respectively to help make the world feel a bit more connected. There will be more of slaughter asthetic as you go from level to level

As of right now, here are the maps and the themes for each including who has claimed a slot.

Map 1: Prison Break (Name WIP); Doomguy is trapped in an underground Prison and must punch his way out. (Claimed by MajaMystic)

Map 2: Catacombs (Name WIP); Doomguy has escaped the prison, but must traverse a maze of catacombs and find a way out. (Claimed by Bloo)

Map 3: Cliffs of Dover; Doomguy has escaped the catacombs, and will be traversing a series of cliffs in this dusk/nighttime slaughter map. (Claimed by Bloo; Mostly Complete)

Map 4: TechBase (Name WIP); techbase with a high monster count, but with an emphasis on fights being fun

Map 5: Building (Name WIP); connecting to the techbase is a civilian ran skyscraper that doomguy must fight through

Map 6: City Level (Name WIP); after escaping the skyscraper, doomguy must fight through the city to escape

Map 7: Wasteland (Name WIP); after escaping the city, doomguy must fight in the outskirts of the city which is going to be a wasteland. Could be hellish. Up to the map author to decide.

Map 8: Secret Map (Name WIP); Going to wait on this one for a description.

Edited by Bloo

Cool map! Interesting way to exit the map :) Really liked how you implemented the difficulty levels. Had a blast on ITYTD and took a Cyberdemon rocket to the face on UV :D

On 4/29/2022 at 6:07 AM, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

Great slaughter map. Tight and brisk. There is an issue with sector 233 causing a visual error in software rendering:https://i.imgur.com/tLqVX2B.png

On 4/29/2022 at 10:28 AM, TheCyberDruid said:

Cool map! Interesting way to exit the map :) Really liked how you implemented the difficulty levels. Had a blast on ITYTD and took a Cyberdemon rocket to the face on UV :D

thanks for the reviews guys! I've updated the map with better balancing. also fixed most if not all graphical glitches. (maybe some misaligned textures in doorways at the most). Here is an updated version. 

ALSO! I've mostly finished up map 2 of the wad, calling it This Room Sleeps One and a Half. This one focuses more on ambient gameplay and still trying to tighten up the fights (Still need to work on difficulties though). Still early, but mostly tried to focus on lighting and not giving the player a lot of firepower and still be balanced. And maybe a few jump scares.

Cliffs_of_Dover.zip

This_Room_Sleeps_One_And_A_Half.zip

Sorry one more edit: These are both comp level 2 in PRBOOM+ and GZDOOM DOOM (Strict). Haven't tested much in GZDOOM yet, just in prboom.

I understand this isn't a community project, but since it looks like this has been left alone, I could make a techbase.

I like techbase.

Really like techbase...

Yes, techbase

Enough of me with techbase. 

Just interested and want to see a finished project.

21 minutes ago, DoomGuy999 said:

I understand this isn't a community project, but since it looks like this has been left alone, I could make a techbase.

I like techbase.

Really like techbase...

Yes, techbase

Enough of me with techbase. 

Just interested and want to see a finished project.

actually, I did make one for it, but honestly, it'd be better to make a new one at this point. The techbase I had made was good, just balanced to destroy the player lol

I will actually go ahead and open this up and change the main post.

6 minutes ago, Bloo said:

actually, I did make one for it, but honestly, it'd be better to make a new one at this point. The techbase I had made was good, just balanced to destroy the player lol

I will actually go ahead and open this up and change the main post.

Where is the old one? It sounds fun!

Balanced to destroy the player... 

I'm ready. I play on ITYTD though.

I'm all about winning levels, not dying.

And what about the story for my level? Any important plot events? 

6 minutes ago, DoomGuy999 said:

I can get you a copy of it, but be warned, It's quite a doozy and hasn't been balanced to other difficulties yet.

31 minutes ago, DoomGuy999 said:

Here is the original map I had for map 4. The only thing I request is a variation of the cyber demon fight I had at the end. Good luck beating this one. Also included is demo file for it. I will not be saying who made that demo file, but I can say that it was not me. The strategies employed by this person are truly legendary in my opinion. Dude is nuts at the game.

Ashes_of_Eden.zip

ashes-uvmax.zip

MTL_MN_LVS_EP1.zip

Made some changes to Map 3, still need to fix some things on map 5. 

@DoomGuy999 on map 4, please pay attention to how map 3 ends and map 5 begins for the starts and ends of your levels, please. I want to try and make each map feel like it connects to the other ones.

On 10/3/2023 at 12:18 AM, Bloo said:

MTL_MN_LVS_EP1.zip

Made some changes to Map 3, still need to fix some things on map 5. 

@DoomGuy999 on map 4, please pay attention to how map 3 ends and map 5 begins for the starts and ends of your levels, please. I want to try and make each map feel like it connects to the other ones.

Ok, I usually do that In levels for other games