Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
i_like_cheeese

gzdoom controller support

22 hours ago, i_like_cheeese said:

gzdoom cant detect my controller on startup. any advice?

Yep, provide more details. Then ill return to my crystal ball.

3 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Yep, provide more details. Then ill return to my crystal ball.

i start my bluetooth up from chromebook, then connect controller. second, i start up gzdoom from the Linux command prompt. i go to controller setting in the menu and it says "no controller detected.

2 hours ago, i_like_cheeese said:

i start my bluetooth up from chromebook, then connect controller. second, i start up gzdoom from the Linux command prompt. i go to controller setting in the menu and it says "no controller detected.

Still more details are needed. I am sure you know which.

3 hours ago, i_like_cheeese said:

If your chromebook supports android apps, you probably will have much easier time getting the controller to work with Delta Touch.

1 hour ago, i_like_cheeese said:

im not sure what details are needed

I dunno, which Chromebook, and which version of GZdoom, which controller.. which bluetooth (dongle?) you are using.

Perhaps some screenshots.

44 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

I dunno, which Chromebook, and which version of GZdoom, which controller.. which bluetooth (dongle?) you are using.

Perhaps some screenshots.

Knowing which Chromebook model shouldn't really matter. Knowing which controller or if they are using some kind of dongle isn't really useful because they are able to connect the controller to the Chromebook's bluetooth. GZDoom version may be relevant but it is way more likely that the Linux and GZDoom just has no access to the ChromeOS bluetooth. Best and probably only solutions are to use the bt controller as wired controller if possible or use android app based GZDoom like Delta Touch. For testing purposes, Freedoom app could also work.

1 hour ago, banjiepixel said:

Knowing which Chromebook model shouldn't really matter. Knowing which controller or if they are using some kind of dongle isn't really useful because they are able to connect the controller to the Chromebook's bluetooth. GZDoom version may be relevant but it is way more likely that the Linux and GZDoom just has no access to the ChromeOS bluetooth. Best and probably only solutions are to use the bt controller as wired controller if possible or use android app based GZDoom like Delta Touch.

I am glad you are taking over the helpdesk staff by cancelling out all variables without testing (A must to do in helpdesk in the first place!) so i leave it in your capable hands!

Edited by Redneckerz

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

I am glad you are taking over the helpdesk staff by cancelling out all variables without testing (A must to do helpdesk in the first place!) so i leave it in your capable hands!

I have a Chromebook and do have alot experience from the limitations of ChromeOS Linux environment and getting things like Doom run on it. So I had very quickly an idea what the problem was. But now did also some testing to make sure and I can confim, both Chocolate Doom and GZDoom just do not detect bluetooth controller in the Linux environment while android apps Delta Touch and Freedoom do detect the controller. it is something that is not supported by the ChromeOS Linux. And to be extra sure, I found also this: https://support.google.com/chromebook/thread/162177093/bluetooth-support-in-linux-environment-in-chromebook?hl=en

Also, it does seem that the Linux Environment doesn't work even with wired usb controllers so literally only option on Chromebook is to use android app if you want to play GZDoom with a controller. So basically use the Freedoom app or Delta Touch.

7 minutes ago, i_like_cheeese said:

this saddens me but thanks for the help

No problem, glad to help another Chromebook user. You basically would need to install proper Linux and replace ChromeOS completely to get Linux GZDoom with controller support and that is something that even a more experienced Linux user like me doesn't really feel comfortable doing. ChromeOS has many limitations you need to just learn to live with. It's great for web stuff and running phone/tablet apps but not very useful for much else. And even the android stuff is more limited these days because it is now harder for android apps to access the ChromeOS filesystem and external storage devices than it used to be.

On 11/23/2022 at 8:17 PM, banjiepixel said:

No problem, glad to help another Chromebook user. You basically would need to install proper Linux and replace ChromeOS completely to get Linux GZDoom with controller support and that is something that even a more experienced Linux user like me doesn't really feel comfortable doing. ChromeOS has many limitations you need to just learn to live with. It's great for web stuff and running phone/tablet apps but not very useful for much else. And even the android stuff is more limited these days because it is now harder for android apps to access the ChromeOS filesystem and external storage devices than it used to be.

Hey man,

I am playing Sunlust through GZDoom, and trying to use JoyCons - the game is detecting the JoyCons in the menu, but I can’t use my controller? Can’t shoot or move with it. Any advice?

I’ve havent played Doom on a computer since E1 of the original in the 90’s 🤣

image.jpg

Just now, _youngkoala said:

Hey man,

I am playing Sunlust through GZDoom, and trying to use JoyCons - the game is detecting the JoyCons in the menu, but I can’t use my controller? Can’t shoot or move with it. Any advice?

I’ve havent played Doom on a computer since E1 of the original in the 90’s 🤣

image.jpg

image.jpg