Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Dos source ports that are truly boom compatible? Most can't handle common boom wads.

Ancient aliens, sunlust, they all spit out errors (Sunlust map 1... warping to 2 works fine).  Was about to mess around with dos, but if most of the well-known boom compatible wads won't work, there's probably no point.

It's a moving standard. Most "Boom compatible" wads made in the last 15-20 years aren't really compatible with the old Boom EXE from the 90s, they're using "Boom compatible" to mean "works with the latest version of PrBoom+" (or DSDA-Doom more recently).

You can try Tartar, a modern DOS port that aims to run more of those wads.

"Boom-compatible" de-facto means "compatible with prboom+". Almost every high-profile boom compat wad uses MBF sky transfers which were allowed by prboom in -cl9.

Dos source ports that are truly boom compatible? Most can't handle common boom wads.

The latter is a symptom of the former. 

On 2/18/2023 at 1:39 AM, esselfortium said:

It's a moving standard. Most "Boom compatible" wads made in the last 15-20 years aren't really compatible with the old Boom EXE from the 90s, they're using "Boom compatible" to mean "works with the latest version of PrBoom+" (or DSDA-Doom more recently).

You can try Tartar, a modern DOS port that aims to run more of those wads.

Thanks, made my day.

From the point of a source port, that is trying to be "Boom Compatible", I must firmly disagree with any "moving target" interpretation of "Boom Compatible".

For the purposes of source port compatibility, I take Boom compatible to mean being compatible with what the original Boom source code allowed.

I would also refer to as a reference, what PrBoom (but not PrBoom+) did to support Boom, because of the testing done upon it.

I exclude PrBoom+ and later revisions because there have been additions and changes to the code, and it is hardly ever clear exactly what source compatibility

a particular piece of code intends to support.

I would apply this also to players who want to define "Boom Compatible", on the basis that I do not see any good reason for them to have a significantly different definition than the source ports use.