Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MannerKing

[Vanilla Compatible] F.O.B | A 6-map Single-Player Doom 2 wad

Very good wad, all maps were fun and interesting. I can't say much, because my memory of DOOM maps is quite terrible. However, in MAP03 there's a broken secret sector, I guess (look at the purple lines).
I can't trigger it, no matter how I try.
Maybe it's not a secret, but IDDT didn't help at all, and in DSDA, purple lines should mean unrevealed secrets.

Spoiler

doom06.png.0749ad5ac65e8defe0451eb2256cacce.png

1 minute ago, Vanilla+Unicorn said:

Very good wad, all maps were fun and interesting. I can't say much, because my memory of DOOM maps is quite terrible. However, in MAP03 there's a broken secret sector, I guess (look at the purple lines).
I can't trigger it, no matter how I try.
Maybe it's not a secret, but IDDT didn't help at all, and in DSDA, purple lines should mean unrevealed secrets.

Hide contents

doom06.png.0749ad5ac65e8defe0451eb2256cacce.png

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to check it out when I get a chance.

bbmgjJ0.jpg.2563e290c43ec330aaa43c4be4d32a3b.jpg

@Vanilla+UnicornThe issue was that the outer sector that you can see highlighted in the image above was marked as a secret. I went ahead and fixed it as well as reuploaded the wad so it should be good to go.

Super fun stuff. The entire time I thought I was playing an old Doomkid wad like the original Rowdy Rudy or Doomed In Space or something. Good stuff

Hello! I played your wad today, used crispy-doom, pistol starts on UV. I will echo Insaneprophet's sentiment, this brought to mind some fun times I had playing different classic, shovelware-styled Doomkid maps. Extra thumbs up for the cacobot, the silver plasma dudes, and for the status bar as well. I was in the mood for something strongly vanilla and this fulfilled the need.. thanks for making this!

Few observations:

Spoiler

- In map 01, a helmet trooper couldn't teleport out, possibly because the destiny was blocked at the moment. Rule of thumb is to use a WR action for this type of off-map closets, either 97 or 126.

- Very small advice: for sets of bars with identical properties, like here in map 04, if you merge them together it'll help reduce noise when they open.

- In map 05, this mechanic bruiser didn't teleport out. I'm not exactly sure why though, there seems to be enough space to cross the teleport line, and other bruisers had no problems. Maybe it didn't want to walk to the north while I was in the southern parts of the map. If so, a fix would be to flip the closet 90 degrees to the left, so all monsters will always attempt to walk to the west and find the line much guaranteed. 

- Noticed a couple minor slime trails in the east and south fire closets at the BSK area. I think it's as easy as moving vertices or adding another one in the affected parts.

- Are these rockets decorative? I could bump the farthest one at least!

- This is also minor: some particular texture transitions can be improved in places -- there's no hard rules to texturing (or most anything), and relying on metal support can feel old sometimes, I know that myself. This for example, as simple as it is, looks seamless (ignore the chevron lol). I only took those two screenshots on the fly just to show the contrast, though there were probably a few more examples in other parts. In the scheme of classic/shovelware-esque visuals, this might even blend in with the vibe, so it's more about how refined you want things to look, and your visuals did come as polished in general, which made the first example stick out immediately.

P.S. loved the long staircase in map 04

You said you wanted to make more stuff like this, so I hope to see more in the future!

On 6/26/2023 at 9:00 PM, galileo31dos01 said:

Hello! I played your wad today, used crispy-doom, pistol starts on UV. I will echo Insaneprophet's sentiment, this brought to mind some fun times I had playing different classic, shovelware-styled Doomkid maps. Extra thumbs up for the cacobot, the silver plasma dudes, and for the status bar as well. I was in the mood for something strongly vanilla and this fulfilled the need.. thanks for making this!

Few observations:

Hide contents

- In map 01, a helmet trooper couldn't teleport out, possibly because the destiny was blocked at the moment. Rule of thumb is to use a WR action for this type of off-map closets, either 97 or 126.

- Very small advice: for sets of bars with identical properties, like here in map 04, if you merge them together it'll help reduce noise when they open.

- In map 05, this mechanic bruiser didn't teleport out. I'm not exactly sure why though, there seems to be enough space to cross the teleport line, and other bruisers had no problems. Maybe it didn't want to walk to the north while I was in the southern parts of the map. If so, a fix would be to flip the closet 90 degrees to the left, so all monsters will always attempt to walk to the west and find the line much guaranteed. 

- Noticed a couple minor slime trails in the east and south fire closets at the BSK area. I think it's as easy as moving vertices or adding another one in the affected parts.

- Are these rockets decorative? I could bump the farthest one at least!

- This is also minor: some particular texture transitions can be improved in places -- there's no hard rules to texturing (or most anything), and relying on metal support can feel old sometimes, I know that myself. This for example, as simple as it is, looks seamless (ignore the chevron lol). I only took those two screenshots on the fly just to show the contrast, though there were probably a few more examples in other parts. In the scheme of classic/shovelware-esque visuals, this might even blend in with the vibe, so it's more about how refined you want things to look, and your visuals did come as polished in general, which made the first example stick out immediately.

P.S. loved the long staircase in map 04

You said you wanted to make more stuff like this, so I hope to see more in the future!

Sorry for the late response, lost track of time and my mind wandered elsewhere. I'll be sure to address the things you listed and see what I can do, thanks for the assistance!