Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GlebyGlobster

Editing sound effects

Question

hello, i would like to make a wad file that replaces all doom 1 sounds. the idea is you launch the sound replace pwad with doom 1 iwad and you get all the sounds replaced. i tried doing it, but it didn't replace them. how would i go about doing this sort of thing?

I use SLADE for editing and audacity for audio stuff

10 answers to this question

it's for gzdoom. there's one mod that makes the sounds hq that i can just drag to gzdoom. i looked in the hq sound wad using slade and it's identical to mine, as in no different files i could find. just sounds. maybe i missed a special file? idk. how come the hq sound wad loads by dragging but mine doesn't?

Is it in Doom sound format or in a common audio format? (WAV, MP3, OGG)

Or did you not rename the files to their respective filenames?

If I recall, sound replacement is pretty simple. Even I can do it. In Slade, make an empty WAD file, with no maps, and at the end, put in all the .wav format sounds you want, each renamed to the same name as the Doom sound you are replacing, and when loaded, it'll override the doom sounds.

it doesn't work. i'm trying to make a 21st century humor sfx mod. i replaced dspistol dsshotgun dssgcock and nothing changes when launched with doom 1. i have made the replacements into doom format and i renamed them correctly. i have included the file i'm talking about in this zip file. does it work for you? fy3.zip

On 7/5/2023 at 2:38 PM, GlebyGlobster said:

it doesn't work. i'm trying to make a 21st century humor sfx mod. i replaced dspistol dsshotgun dssgcock and nothing changes when launched with doom 1. i have made the replacements into doom format and i renamed them correctly. i have included the file i'm talking about in this zip file. does it work for you? fy3.zip

It doesn't work in wad format. I created a pk3 file and it does work. You have to create a folder named 'SOUNDS' and put your sound files there, then save your mod in pk3 format. 

6 hours ago, NaliSeed said:

It doesn't work in wad format. I created a pk3 file and it does work. You have to create a folder named 'SOUNDS' and put your sound files there, then save your mod in pk3 format. 

i have no experience making pk3s. i tried doing it with this 21century.zip it should replace the UNF sound with huh? it doesn't work.

1 hour ago, GlebyGlobster said:

i have no experience making pk3s. i tried doing it with this 21century.zip it should replace the UNF sound with huh? it doesn't work.

I'm dragging that file into gzdoom. exe and it's working fine, it's the pk3 file you need to load, it won't work if you try to load it in zip format. 

On 7/5/2023 at 11:38 AM, GlebyGlobster said:

You have two DSPISTOL lumps in this WAD, first your version and then the original sound. The last one takes precedence so you end up hearing no change. Same for your other sounds. Remove all the extra lumps and it should work. (Actually, it'd be simpler to start a new empty WAD and only put in the stuff you need, than it would be to clean up the existing WAD.)