Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Legendary_Memez

Adding custom texture sets in Ultimate Doom Builder?

Question

Hello Doom World, I am new to mapping in Doom, I have been playing this game for several years and amazed how this very old game always bring out new things thanks to modding along with its community. I want to give it a try by using UDB in the standard Doom format with Boom compatibility in mind and I use PrBoom+ as my primary source port, I have been enjoying learning how to make a map. I also want to try out custom textures like OTEX, I use the the resource setting to access the texture for making the maps, when I test it in UDB the textures show, but however when I just open my PWAD from my files the custom textures won't display and I can't find any tutorials useful for this. Is there a solution to this? Thanks!

1554807400_Screenshot2023-08-07095443.png.b3059017598eb9840e3d91d7f507d58f.png

627018683_BaseProfileScreenshot2023_08.07-09_28_26_87.png.14f2a8f85eab0e153476056801fad89e.png

This is when I use UDB for testing the map.

1529938049_BaseProfileScreenshot2023_08.07-09_29_34_51.png.dbcad1fbf6f8b4d1d62f23d208b88438.png

The textures won't show when I simply open the PWAD from my files and this is the result.

6 answers to this question

If you want the entirety of OTEX in your WAD, here's what you can do:

1. Make a copy of the OTEX set

2. Open your level in UDB

3. Select "Save Map Into..." and choose the copy of OTEX as the target

The downside to this is that your WAD is going to have 68 megabytes worth of textures added, and getting rid of the unused textures/patches/flats may be a bit tedious.

As far as a video tutorial for adding textures with SLADE, there's this one that should help:

You have two options:

1. Load your custom level along with whatever WAD(s) you use for resources. Most/all source ports allow you to load multiple WADs at a time via the command line or something similar (basically how Doom Builder handles it).

2. Move the textures into your custom level's WAD directly. This is what most people do when they release their completed WADs, and this operation is (usually) done in SLADE, a separate utility from UDB.

15 minutes ago, SMG_Man said:

You have two options:

1. Load your custom level along with whatever WAD(s) you use for resources. Most/all source ports allow you to load multiple WADs at a time via the command line or something similar (basically how Doom Builder handles it).

2. Move the textures into your custom level's WAD directly. This is what most people do when they release their completed WADs, and this operation is (usually) done in SLADE, a separate utility from UDB.

Number 1 makes sense, as for 2 is there a video tutorial on how to add entire texture sets from texture wads in SLADE? Thanks for responding.

15 minutes ago, SMG_Man said:

If you want the entirety of OTEX in your WAD, here's what you can do:

1. Make a copy of the OTEX set

2. Open your level in UDB

3. Select "Save Map Into..." and choose the copy of OTEX as the target

The downside to this is that your WAD is going to have 68 megabytes worth of textures added, and getting rid of the unused textures/patches/flats may be a bit tedious.

As far as a video tutorial for adding textures with SLADE, there's this one that should help:

Ah I see, thank you for the useful tip.

7 hours ago, SMG_Man said:

You have two options:

3. For vanilla/boom-flavoured resources (no pk3, no animdefs and such) - let DoomTools (WTexScan + WTExtract or DoomMake as a whole) do the heavy lifting for you once the map is done.

9 hours ago, Doomy__Doom said:

3. For vanilla/boom-flavoured resources (no pk3, no animdefs and such) - let DoomTools (WTexScan + WTExtract or DoomMake as a whole) do the heavy lifting for you once the map is done.

This. I can not recommend DoomTools and especially DoomMake enough - used it on a couple projects now and the way it compiles only the textures that are actually used into the distributable .wad, while properly accounting for animated/switch textures to boot, is nothing short of a godsend. SLADE3's unused resource removal tools are adequate most of the time but they lack the accuracy and stability that DoomMake has. Back when I still used SLADE3 for compiling, I had to recompile entire projects from scratch because it fucked something up - with DoomMake, that has never been the case.