Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
randomsounds01

Box Doom - Community Project [Slots Filled]

On 9/4/2023 at 3:22 AM, randomsounds01 said:

The maximum monster count is 5 at a time.

I guess this rule needs to be removed

Or maybe I don't understand it clearly

1 minute ago, Djoga said:

I guess this rule needs to be removed

5 would work for maybe the smaller boxes, but 5 is so small a maximum for something like the 512x512 boxes, which can fit more enemies

It's made.

13-DJOGA-HAZARDOUS.zip
My room assumes you got stuff in the previous rooms, like a shotgun, a plasma rifle and some remains of a megaarmor. I placed it all at the player start, so please delete it when you put the room in your map.
The red circles with question marks are music changers (they work in prboom+). The music will change back to normal once you enter the next room.
Also there is a conveyor belt with a voodoo doll outside the slot, it's needed to keep the platforms moving cuz the predefined "Floor start moving up and down" action doesn't work as intended (it's all made using exactly 4 tags btw).
The unreachable switch must be shot from the highest platfrom.

Edited by Djoga

12 minutes ago, jo2ukegappy said:

From the initial layout it looks like all rooms are 256². Will there really be 512² rooms?

The updated file already has 6 of them.

7 minutes ago, Djoga said:

That's nice. Also, yours was a mean room too, but really nice. Can't wait to see the final results. 

1 minute ago, jo2ukegappy said:

That's nice. Also, yours was a mean room too, but really nice. Can't wait to see the final results. 

Thanks. It's the unlucky number room so it's indeed mean.

1 hour ago, Djoga said:

Just played it now, really cool. Maybe I'll cook up a 512 later if there are still any slots left. 

Edited by jo2ukegappy

Not saying I will or will not make a room but.. how does this work, do we download the latest file, add our room and upload the updated version? what if two people make a room at the same time and their files don't have each other's rooms?

Just now, tornado potato said:

Not saying I will or will not make a room but.. how does this work, do we download the latest file, add our room and upload the updated version? what if two people make a room at the same time and their files don't have each other's rooms?

You download the template from OP's post, edit it and post it here. OP copies it and assigns it to the requested number in his computer, and then he posts it here once it's all finished and fixed. 

Here's my first submission: Box72 AKA "The Red Room". Difficulties are implemented, and the map assumes you have all weapons at this point - I provide the BFG. Enjoy!

Box72-TheRedRoom.zip

Screenshot_Doom_20230906_135529.png

Edited by stochastic : Added entrance door

4 hours ago, jo2ukegappy said:

From the initial layout it looks like all rooms are 256². Will there really be 512² rooms?

yep. 512x512 is the max limit of size

I have a few concerns I want to express:

1: There is no quality control, maybe you are waiting on it but at the moment the effort put in is very different for each box. Simple can be good, I think the crusher segment looks really good even though it is super simple but some of them just look bad. Mainly the first 2 in my opinion. I think the good parts like 05 or 06 for example will be drowned out by the lower effort ones.

2: There will need to be something decided for the weapon progression, currently you get the plasma gun really quickly and it kind of breaks the progression.

3: Some of the boxes (the one with slime and the 2 revenants for an example) has more then 5 enemies.

I think the idea for this is really promising but it needs some polishing up for it to be successful.

Edited by Raith138

15 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

I have a few concerns I want to express:

1: There is no quality control, maybe you are waiting on it but at the moment the effort put in is very different for each box. Simple can be good, I think the crusher segment looks really good even though it is super simple but some of them just look bad. Mainly the first 2 in my opinion.

2: There will need to be something decided for the weapon progression, currently you get the plasma gun really quickly and it kind of breaks the progression.

3: Some of the boxes (the one with slime and the 2 revenants for an example) has more then 5 enemies.

I think the idea for this is really promising but it needs some polishing up for it to be successful.

Since you're talking about progression, I think it would be good to create a central room with keys that connects rooms 20, 40 and  60, so that the player can backtrack more easily. Could be a 512x512 central hub of sorts with some ammo and medikits as well. 

I would add to that by making a portal in the last room that leads to box 1 and make it lower a teleporter in room 1 to get back.

Just asking, but do we have to stay strictly within the room size or can we have things like lights and computers sticking out a bit?

34 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

1: There is no quality control

1. I am personally running QC on my own rooms on the fly. As I see what items and enemies' others have used prior to my rooms I adjust my rooms accordingly.
  2. Minus detailing I think it is wise to keep each room basic when it comes to what and how much line specials are used. For example, I have been practicing mapping for years and there is still a lot of specials that I still don't know how to use properly.
  3. My rooms are listed as BlindChaos in spot 33&34. They are inspired by what I see in great mappers like Dutch Devil, so please let me know what you think.

@randomsounds01 Here is the most updated versions of my rooms. They should be final in the following:

1. Textures have been properly aligned.
  2. Difficulty settings have been implemented.
  3. I have included a .txt file with a list of all textures used from OTEX. If you wanted to just insert those textures in the final .wad or if you just need them for reference.
  4. @SteveTheSpaceJanitor's permission I have made some small changes to his room and have included it them with my file.
  5. I have taken the liberty of splicing my rooms and Steve's into the final layout file and changed a few things. I think I like this placement a lot better. Please let me know what you think.
Download:
Spoiler

Feedback and Issues:

Here are a few screenshots of issues that I have found in your map file. As I find more, I will upload more screenshots.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230906_002524.png.8221032cb675f826a033d4bf1f994858.png

Wrong ceiling texture in the doorway.

Screenshot_Doom_20230906_002925.png.c7a14066e37be3e737b4e14028ef5a4f.png
Trim is not on both sides of the door.

Screenshot_Doom_20230906_003206.png.e808a5e4fd4e08f78f8af5d79fb2d477.png

This door is wrong in so many levels and ways.

@randomsounds01 played the alpha. is it intentional for some doors to be misaligned to fit with other spaced rooms (i.e. too tall or wide, or angled very strangely)? i mean no offense but this looks unintentional and kinda sloppy. is there going to be a thing to counteract this in later updates?

1902338514_Screenshot2023-09-06181708.jpg.74937c5a70877cf6440cd203c5cf9cb1.jpg

45 minutes ago, Halfblind said:
Download:
  Hide contents

wtf is with the first room why does it look like that? The pit in front of the door has a non-existent texture????

1 hour ago, LoneAlpha2401 said:

do we have to stay strictly within the room size or can we have things like lights and computers sticking out a bit?

I made all my details fit inside that small of space. It can be done I know that you can do it too.

2 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

wtf is with the first room why does it look like that? The pit in front of the door has a non-existent texture????

Are you talking about room 32 with the maze. That room is @SmolGhost's room. It does have a missing texture under the Pinkey, but I think the texture is there when running it with OTEX. If it is not the room with the maze, can you give me a screenshot, so I can see what you mean, thank you.