Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Madgunner

My video game

So I figured I'd share with everyone what I've been working on in my spare time. This is a 2d multiplayer sidescroller video game I've made in Unity. The best way to describe it (I think) is as Mario, meets Fortnite, meets a bunch of other random games I've played. The past couple of months I've been working on getting proper client/server support and I finally reached a point where the netcode feels pretty darn good. The game is not 100% finished (as stickdude will attest to), but at this point I'd say the alpha is roughly 90% complete and that the rest of the stuff to finish should be more trivial compared to what I've been working on. I just started testing it online last week, and today we ran a ctf match with four players in addition to a couple of other gamemodes. Got some bugs to squash from playtesting today (I think the biggest one is players sometimes not dying in stomp arena lol), but I'm thrilled that the netcode is handling pretty well even at high ping. I'm in the process of acquiring dedicated servers for the game and I'm hoping to do weekly tests. I plan on making a discord channel for the game in the coming days so people can keep up with the development and be alerted to play sessions. Anyways with all that said, here's two videos of our play session today, let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0zG6BR7pRc (Stomp Arena)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fTs9ZWfXc0 (Capture The Flag)

3 minutes ago, Sonikkumania said:

The links don't work. 

Just copy-paste them into the address bar.

While the game is obviously in an early prototype phase, I always find it awesome when people share their creations. The gameplay style reminds me a lot of early-mid 2000s Flash arena games, which I have a bit of a soft spot for - I just hope it'll be fleshed out a little more by the final product. Anyway, you've got something pretty cool going here. Keep it up!

2 hours ago, MFG38 said:

I had some weird bug with my tablet that didn't open the links despite trying this earlier :?

Anyway the game looks fun, it really has that flash fun game vibe to it. Nice work @Madgunner

15 minutes ago, Sonikkumania said:

I had some weird bug with my tablet that didn't open the links despite trying this earlier :?

I see. Not sure what might've caused that.

1 minute ago, MFG38 said:

I see. Not sure what might've caused that.

Propably my custom browser.

Anyway looking forward for updates of the game.

On 10/22/2023 at 3:21 AM, MFG38 said:

While the game is obviously in an early prototype phase, I always find it awesome when people share their creations. The gameplay style reminds me a lot of early-mid 2000s Flash arena games, which I have a bit of a soft spot for - I just hope it'll be fleshed out a little more by the final product. Anyway, you've got something pretty cool going here. Keep it up!

Thank you so much for the kind words. I must admit I'm not aware of those styles of games, I guess I missed out. Yes, there are going to be balance adjustments, I've already made some such as increasing stomping damage, limiting the flight duration of rockets, and of course removing that blue energy ball that got PerrondoN 10 kills in a row from stomp arena, lol. As I play the game more often, I will get a feel for this, and more changes will be made. Admittedly, I've only played the game a handful of times with others.

On 10/22/2023 at 6:19 AM, Sonikkumania said:

Anyway the game looks fun, it really has that flash fun game vibe to it. Nice work @Madgunner

Sorry I probably messed up, there's probably a way to embed YouTube here. I'm a noob at the forum software. Thank you too for the kind words. One of you two is going to have to tell me what these flash games are, haha. I remember playing some in the 2000s, but I can't recall any of them being multiplayer. The game I based this on is some obscure Mario-like game from the early 2000s that I used to play with my friends in the computer lab over LAN. It was a lot of fun but the game has fallen into complete obscurity.

If anybody would like to follow the development of this game, I will be opening a Discord channel tomorrow and organizing weekly play sessions. Who knows maybe we'll even run some tournaments too. I'll post the link here tomorrow.

16 hours ago, cracky-bracky said:

I would recommend changing the font to something more unique, maybe stickman/written like, instead of the "default unity" font u have. :D

Thanks for the feedback. Which font in particular was it that bugged you, the one on the scoreboard? I'll admit the art in this game leaves a bit to be desired. Unfortunately I am not very good at art and don't really have the time to work on it too much. I'm hoping to hire a graphics artist soon and have them improve upon my work since it takes 6+ months to really get good at Blender. There's also plans for a pixel art setting too.

And as promised, here is the link to the discord channel https://discord.gg/3AUt5kt6Rw everyone is welcome to join!