Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BrutalBlam

Why aren't edited texture colors appearing correctly?

Question

I exported the STBAR and STARMS graphics as palleted PNGs and edited them in Aseprite (the color pallet imported into the program correctly) and edited them. After importing them into a PWAD, I tried to convert the graphics to DOOMgfx (palleted) but the colors added the weren't originally in the sprite appeared in grayscale. I don't understand why this happened, but my best guess is that the image exported with a slightly incorrect color pallet due to compression. I could also be entirely wrong and the solution could've been dead simple the whole time.

9 answers to this question

When you convert graphics in SLADE to Doom Gfx (Paletted) the colors in your graphics will be translated to fit the palette of the Base Resource archive, which in case of Doom, means the colors of the Doom palette (PLAYPAL).

So with Doom Gfx (Paletted) format you cannot keep any colors that are not part of the Doom palette.
I think your only options are:

a) Modify colors in your graphic so that it converts better to doom palette, or

b) Modify colors in the doom palette lump(PLAYPAL), so your graphics convert better, or
c) Keep your graphic in PNG format (Will only work in some source ports, such as GZDoom), or

d) Just accept that your graphic doesn't look great in the doom palette.

On 12/5/2023 at 12:01 PM, Worst said:

When you convert graphics in SLADE to Doom Gfx (Paletted) the colors in your graphics will be translated to fit the palette of the Base Resource archive, which in case of Doom, means the colors of the Doom palette (PLAYPAL).

So with Doom Gfx (Paletted) format you cannot keep any colors that are not part of the Doom palette.
I think your only options are:

a) Modify colors in your graphic so that it converts better to doom palette, or

b) Modify colors in the doom palette lump(PLAYPAL), so your graphics convert better, or
c) Keep your graphic in PNG format (Will only work in some source ports, such as GZDoom), or

d) Just accept that your graphic doesn't look great in the doom palette.

Well, that's a shame then. I don't know how I can make the colors work in the Doom pallet, so I guess I just won't use the custom graphics for now until I can figure this out.

On 12/12/2023 at 12:54 AM, prfunky said:

I wrote an article in response to someone's question about editing sprites, however,

everything in it as far as the palette is concerned applies equally to textures and flats.

http://chapsoftware.com/spriteColoring.htm

Thank you very much, this helps a lot! Do you know how I could import Doom's palette into Aseprite? I looked around and found out how to import palettes, but it brings up an error when I try to import Doom's palette.

4 hours ago, BrutalBlam said:

Thank you very much, this helps a lot! Do you know how I could import Doom's palette into Aseprite? I looked around and found out how to import palettes, but it brings up an error when I try to import Doom's palette.

I'm sorry, I do not. Although I have absolutely no experience with Aseprite (probably because I never

heard of it before 15 minutes ago), I did take a look at their DOCS page(s). It seems to me that they

show no options for restricting a color palette down to only 256 colors like Doom, and many other

games of that era, use. Rather, it looks like it supports variations on 16 million colors where each

color uses some component of what's referred to as the RGB triplet (0-256 possible values of red,

0-256 values of green, 0-256 values of blue). I found this information on their page at:

https://www.aseprite.org/docs/color-mode/

2 hours ago, prfunky said:

I'm sorry, I do not. Although I have absolutely no experience with Aseprite (probably because I never

heard of it before 15 minutes ago), I did take a look at their DOCS page(s). It seems to me that they

show no options for restricting a color palette down to only 256 colors like Doom, and many other

games of that era, use. Rather, it looks like it supports variations on 16 million colors where each

color uses some component of what's referred to as the RGB triplet (0-256 possible values of red,

0-256 values of green, 0-256 values of blue). I found this information on their page at:

https://www.aseprite.org/docs/color-mode/

That would (or should) be "Indexed Mode."

In this mode each pixel has a number that references a palette color. Your palette can contain up to 256 colors, and each pixel points to one of those colors (from 0 to 255).

Unlike RGBA, if you modify the palette color, all pixels that are referencing that color will change their appearance.

An important concept on Indexed images is that for transparent layers, we need a special index to act as the transparent color. Generally this index is 0, but you can change it from Sprite > Properties menu.

Basically, should be as simple as selecting that mode, and then entering the colors that the Doom palette uses. It allows you to enter entries in hex triplets, so it should be fairly trivial to enter it.

You can then save the palette in the hamburger menu right above the palette.

Here's the actual palette, with palette index numbers for reference:

Doompal.png

Note: All 256 indexes are used. A popular (but mistaken) assumption is that Index 247 is not used; it is, in fact, used, in particular by some Doom II graphics. Transparency is done by a completely different method (basically, flagging one color of the sprite as a transparent color on a sprite-by-sprite basis), but all colors are viable and usable.

Edited by Dark Pulse

I cannot import Doom's palette into Aseprite, it isn't accepting it for some reason. I don't know why. When I import a paletted PNG (specifically of Doom's status bar) into Aseprite, Doom's 256-color palette is imported correctly anyways along with the PNG. What baffles me is that when I'm converting the PNG (paletted) to Doom gfx (also paletted), it previews in Slade as grayscale. When I ran the wad with Doom 2, the colors got all messed up. I'm losing my damn mind over this! It doesn't make any sense!

Screenshot 2023-12-18 164748.png

Screenshot 2023-12-18 165257.png

Screenshot 2023-12-18 165347.png

On dimanche 3 décembre 2023 at 11:53 PM, BrutalBlam said:

After importing them into a PWAD, I tried to convert the graphics to DOOMgfx (palleted) but the colors added the weren't originally in the sprite appeared in grayscale.

You have not set Doom.wad or Doom2.wad as your base resource archive in SLADE, so it does not have access to the game's palette.

Alternatively, you can make use of the palette drop-down.

On 12/18/2023 at 5:33 PM, Gez said:

You have not set Doom.wad or Doom2.wad as your base resource archive in SLADE, so it does not have access to the game's palette.

Alternatively, you can make use of the palette drop-down.

Thank you very much, it worked! I can't believe it was such a silly mistake.