Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodoomonic

DOOM 2016 textures?

Is there anywhere I can get a ripped texture pack from DOOM 2016 (4)? I've been searching what seems like forever and it's becoming tedious. Even Doom 4 for DOOM (D4V) didn't have them? How hard can this be to rip or find?

I don't think most people here are interested in helping with copyright infringement, which is illegal.

There are literally thousands of mods that use elements from other games that are NOT Doom. There is a DOOM 3 MOD for classic Doom also. So what, is 2016's Doom 4 somewhat the exception here? Their are hundreds upon hundreds of textures and sprites ripped from almost every other game ever that are used for Doom mods. The TextureResource website that also hold THOUSANDS of games textures. I'm asking to be pointed in the direction of where to find these ripped textures, not for "illegal" copies of a triple A game owned by multimillionaires because God forbid I would want to take money from people swimming in cash. 

Doom modding has been ripping textures and resources since 1993. And these ones are from an actual DOOM game, which LOTS of modders I would be expecting to be using in their mods. What makes 2016's DOOM 4 so unique in this situation when DOOM 3 and DOOM Eternal have all received these? 

Edited by Cacodoomonic

Thing is that modern game textures are generally no very useful for old games. They're huge, they're separated into plenty of separate files corresponding to different types of maps, they are wrapped around 3D objects which makes their 2D projection to a texture image completely different from what you may expect, etc.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Thing is that modern game textures are generally no very useful for old games. They're huge, they're separated into plenty of separate files corresponding to different types of maps, they are wrapped around 3D objects which makes their 2D projection to a texture image completely different from what you may expect, etc.

Yeah, I did expect that. Initially I was considering working on them by hand and making them match classic DOOM so they work well besides them. Tedious I know. But would be a useful resource if I did it, for everyone to use.

Doom 2016 is horrifyingly difficult to pull environment textures from, both due to the modern render methodology meaning textures will look like a weird mess without their normal maps, specular etc. unless you touch them up manually... but more importantly, due to the whole megatexture system meaning pretty much every surface in every level has a unique texture. You'd honestly have more luck taking screenshots of surfaces in Snapmap and Photoshopping the hell out of them.

8 hours ago, Kinsie said:

Doom 2016 is horrifyingly difficult to pull environment textures from, both due to the modern render methodology meaning textures will look like a weird mess without their normal maps, specular etc. unless you touch them up manually... but more importantly, due to the whole megatexture system meaning pretty much every surface in every level has a unique texture. You'd honestly have more luck taking screenshots of surfaces in Snapmap and Photoshopping the hell out of them.

Aren't the mega textures compiled when the level loads? I'd imagine the textures themselves are still stored separately in the game files

30 minutes ago, DogsRNice said:

Aren't the mega textures compiled when the level loads? I'd imagine the textures themselves are still stored separately in the game files

I don't think any way to get them has been properly engineered outside of dipping into texture memory, where they're basically split into like 64x64 tiles. I kept an eye on the Source Filmmaker community when they were ripping the models back in the day, and before getting the textures for the models was properly turned into a science it was basically all-hands-on-deck trying to assemble a jigsaw puzzle out of VRAM.