Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smeghammer

PK3, map won't load??

Question

Soooooo.....

I'm building a collection of small maps as a PK3, which is all good so far.

However, a certain map just won't load...

To explain - I have a PK3-format folder, and dropping the root onto GZDoom will load the data as expected. My MAPINFO correctly defines the maps for each level like so:

map MAPXX "map name"
{
    levelnum=6
    next="MAPX+1"
    sky1 = "SNSSKY06"
    music = "D_IN_CIT"
}

etc.

where 'xx' is 01, 02, ... 11, 12, etc. 

The maps are stored in the /maps namespace, are named (sequentially) "map01","map02" etc.

And dropping the folder on GZDoom will load and run as expected. However, on reaching map11 spot, I get a "cannot load map11" message in the GZ console. The map lumps, compared with similar WADs, are the same, and - even more strangely - dropping the WAD file directly on GZDoom results in the map running normally - so it's not corrupt.

I'm kind of at a loss now to figure out WTF is going on, so any ideas gratefully received.

Please see https://github.com/smeghammer/snippet_megawad and look at the /root folder for details.

5 answers to this question

38 minutes ago, plums said:

If I zip up everything in the /root/ folder, does that make the assembled pk3 you're using?

edit: I deleted the A_END and A_START lumps from map11.wad and it worked. My guess is since the first lump wasn't called MAPxx, GZDoom didn't like it inside a pk3.

Markers like that should never be inside a WAD that's inside of a PK3 - the directories do the sorting. That's probably what was throwing it off, since PK3s basically expect things in a certain way, and anything besides, in addition to, or outside of that can throw it off.

Edited by Dark Pulse

From the file you did provide, remove the map11_xx and Map11_old files to a different location. They seem to conflict with the Map11, but that is my best guess at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestion - unfortunately, that's not the problem. They were not there when I first saw this. I just removed them and tried again - still get the same issue. It's either some weird typo I haven't spotted, or there is something subtly wrong with the WAD file lumps.

If I zip up everything in the /root/ folder, does that make the assembled pk3 you're using?

edit: I deleted the A_END and A_START lumps from map11.wad and it worked. My guess is since the first lump wasn't called MAPxx, GZDoom didn't like it inside a pk3.

Edited by plums

That's so weird!

I swear I did remove those markers after I posted. I just looked again and they were still there. Possibly didn't save in Slade3...

Anyhow, that does indeed work, with the exploded folder structure too.

Thanks guys for the pointers.