Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dylan Jarvis

My First Wad: Project Titan Now on Idgames!

Well, this went over like a lead balloon when I recorded a video probably a few days after release. Probably some of that was just finding a decent thumbnail though (the last screenshot looks good at least)

I don't know what you mean by "amateurish" it was really good! 
Even though I wasn't able to complete it (will for sure go back) I thought the maps were excellent.

• Good flow for levels, clear what to do
  • Amazing midi selection (though the Castlevania midi doesn't loop)
  • Good amount of challenge with health and ammo spread out nicely
  • Interesting combat and various scenarios (awesome section with the teleporting hellknight)

I will definitely play this new WAD you are working on, and will do my best to finish this.

Great work.

5 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Well, this went over like a lead balloon when I recorded a video probably a few days after release. Probably some of that was just finding a decent thumbnail though (the last screenshot looks good at least)

I saw in your description that you feel like it's a mild form of Hell Revealed. It's funny you say that but I get it. Now that I've played pretty much almost every critically acclaimed Wad, I can see where you get that because I'm always throwing Barons. At the time I didn't really mind Barons much but now I kind of despise them in most cases. They can be fun sprinkled in a fight or two but just straight up Barons can be a snooze and Hell Revealed delivers that in spades, even though I love Hell Revealed the Barons get really annoying.

3 hours ago, BEG said:

I don't know what you mean by "amateurish" it was really good! 
Even though I wasn't able to complete it (will for sure go back) I thought the maps were excellent.

• Good flow for levels, clear what to do
  • Amazing midi selection (though the Castlevania midi doesn't loop)
  • Good amount of challenge with health and ammo spread out nicely
  • Interesting combat and various scenarios (awesome section with the teleporting hellknight)

I will definitely play this new WAD you are working on, and will do my best to finish this.

Great work.

You almost made it! Those pesky Lost Souls. Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the maps. I remember designing the Baron Tele trap on my hour lunch at work, just drawing it on graphing paper. Good times.

This is just awesome. DOOM at its finest. Lotta people here tryna be all fancy (which I respect) but this is where its at IMO. GREAT JOB!!

5 hours ago, Gabriel7 said:

This is just awesome. DOOM at its finest. Lotta people here tryna be all fancy (which I respect) but this is where its at IMO. GREAT JOB!!

Thanks! Yeah I definitely prefer fun gameplay to visuals as well.

Nice, for a first WAD made in 2014 it was damn good. E1M2's fiery maze section traps went crazy, really instilled fear in me.

All-in-all it was good. And good luck on that Doom 2 MEGAWAD, hope to see it in the future!

58 minutes ago, Baron T. Mueriach said:

Nice, for a first WAD made in 2014 it was damn good. E1M2's fiery maze section traps went crazy, really instilled fear in me.

All-in-all it was good. And good luck on that Doom 2 MEGAWAD, hope to see it in the future!

Yeah I'm think about releasing it episodically I have the first 10 maps done I think I might upload the first 6. Then 7-11, 12-32 ,16-20, 21-25, 26-30. I think that makes it a little easier to keep going on it instead of trying to dump the whole thing at once. I'm going to start releasing them once I get 3 more maps done.

Played a few levels, and I would say for your first wad. Not too shabby. pretty decent pacing (weapons wise) theres a few weapons I feel like could be swapped up, or found later on. but aside from that, not too bad man! Keep this train rolling!

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, 2009XboxLiveKid said:

Played a few levels, and I would say for your first wad. Not too shabby. pretty decent pacing (weapons wise) theres a few weapons I feel like could be swapped up, or found later on. but aside from that, not too bad man! Keep this train rolling!

I'm assuming you're talking about the plasma rifle in e1m2. Yeah I completely remade that map from scratch for my Doom 2 wad and it certainly isn't there anymore so I agree lol.

So.... I blazed through this tonight and holy shit this is amazing. The level design alone is very very good. Monster placement is challenging. The overall experience was a truly great Doom experience!!! Thank you!

1 hour ago, Merginator said:

So.... I blazed through this tonight and holy shit this is amazing. The level design alone is very very good. Monster placement is challenging. The overall experience was a truly great Doom experience!!! Thank you!

Thanks! Yeah I always wanted to design Doom maps even when I was 13-14 could never truly figure it out until I was about 22. I have improved a lot since then can't wait to show it.

Good stuff! I am appointing instant OG status to this set. This is absolutely the same experience as back in the 90s when I would run across a super well made little map. I know its not everyones cup of tea and more recent players will say it didnt age well but I am reminded of something like the "RAVEN" levels when it first came out. All of that is to say that I really had a good time playing these, I am impresses and am eagerly awaiting you Doom 2 wad. Thank you for sharing these. 😀

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Insaneprophet said:

Good stuff! I am appointing instant OG status to this set. This is absolutely the same experience as back in the 90s when I would run across a super well made little map. I know its not everyones cup of tea and more recent players will say it didnt age well but I am reminded of something like the "RAVEN" levels when it first came out. All of that is to say that I really had a good time playing these, I am impresses and am eagerly awaiting you Doom 2 wad. Thank you for sharing these. 😀

Yeah I made these immediately after playing through Doom 1 and 2 with a friend from work. While I've been playing Doom well longer, I never really dabbled much into other peoples Wads (at the time these were made). I always thought Plutonia was too hard and TNT was too confusing. I did play No Rest for the Living on the 360 store when that came out. The only Pwad I remember playing back in the day was Neo Doom and 1monster oh and the classic Episode. My new levels do embrace the more modern design philosophy (Scythe and Epic 2) though with bigger levels even one level some might consider slaughter (I personally don't). I'm starting on my next map later today after I finish Lost Civilization so I can watch the Dean of Doom episode on it. 

Finally got around to playing and finishing it, so many great moments and set pieces, well done!

1 hour ago, BEG said:

Finally got around to playing and finishing it, so many great moments and set pieces, well done!

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it!