Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Individualised

Doom 64 multiplayer actor flags

Posted (edited)

On Doomwiki's "Thing" page, it has documentation for the format of THINGS lumps for various id Tech 1 engine games, including Doom 64. I noticed that it lists Doom 64 as having multiplayer-related flags for actors (bit 4, 10, and 11).

Obviously vanilla Doom 64 doesn't have multiplayer, so I'm wondering if this section is mislabelled and corresponds to a source port, or if these flags are actually present in vanilla Doom 64? I can understand the "not in singleplayer" flag being present as that originates from PC Doom but the others are new, and don't particularly make sense to be there unless they're development leftovers.

I don't have any vanilla Doom 64 editing utilities on hand, so I can't test if these have any effect there. Doom64EX-Plus's actor flags enum in doomdefs.h does reference these, perhaps they originate from there? They're also in GEC DOOM64-RE, but that section of doomdefs.h seems to be directly copied from EX (same comments and even has the nightmare flag), and that decompilation is far from vanilla so I don't think I can trust it.

image.png.f0caa087d78a4e7ce365bb56d2e883d8.png

Edited by Individualised

That's definitely incorrect. The flags you see were flags that I added for Doom 64 EX and not part of the original game.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Kaiser said:

That's definitely incorrect. The flags you see were flags that I added for Doom 64 EX and not part of the original game.

For the purposes of correcting this page, is this documentation otherwise accurate apart from flags 10-12? Is flag 4 present in the vanilla game?

Edited by Individualised

Posted (edited)

10, 11, and 12 are not in the vanilla game. Oddly enough, flag 0x10 IS recognized but never used (also present in the original source code but never utilized. Likely as a result of copy-pasting from past ports (PSX, Jaguar, etc) of the game).

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Kaiser said:

10, 11, and 12 are not in the vanilla game. Oddly enough, flag 0x10 IS recognized but never used (also present in the original source code but never utilized. Likely as a result of copy-pasting from past ports (PSX, Jaguar, etc) of the game).

image.png.5f8ef40cfa7d5a2e52f27d6a2ef27e31.png

Thanks! I've edited the page with my understanding of this information. Would this be correct?

EX had the nightmare flag too. I remember seeing it in recreations of some Absolution levels.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

EX had the nightmare flag too. I remember seeing it in recreations of some Absolution levels.

EX-Plus has it now, but my understanding is that it originates from the remaster (which is based on EX).

I do mean just vanilla EX. I was playing the levels I mentioned before there seemed to be any hope of an official re-release.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Immorpher said:

Interesting! I see these flags made it into the reverse engineered code too: https://github.com/Erick194/DOOM64-RE/blob/main/doom64/doomdata.h

Likely because it used some of EX as a base, as I see it has the nightmare flag which I am pretty sure never existed in the original.

DOOM64-RE is far from vanilla - it has additional features and changes, so it wouldn't surprise me if these are actually implemented there. I'm not sure why this was done like this, new features are a better fit for a source port or mod (like Merciless Edition which is based on it). There is a lot of value in having a clean reconstruction of the original Doom 64 code that I feel is being overlooked. At the same time this type of reverse engineering can be very difficult and time consuming so I don't ask for or expect anything at all.