Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jaego

What Do i need to get started?

Hey guys, can you please tell me all the things i need to get started like with better graphx and newer levels, ya know, all the goodies :o .... ( and where to get them )

What is played more now-a-days Doom1/Doom2?

Please respons ASAP PLEASE! ( oh yeah, also what do you need to play multiplayer :o )

Aside from the actual IWAD files (which you'll have to provide yourself), the necessary programs are under the Source Ports link on the front page.

zDoom is good and basic, without all the eye candy but with gameplay enhancements and such.

zDaemon is zDoom's multiplayer counterpart, so you can connect to servers for DM and such.

jDoom is the major eyecandy one of the bunch; not only does it provide a great deal of graphics enhancement, but there's a pack of 3D models you can download to get rid of the sprite-feel if that's your inclination (personally I prefer the original sprites).

jaego said:

Hey guys, can you please tell me all the things i need to get started like with better graphx and newer levels

If you're just starting on DooM editing, perhaps you should focus on making maps first before striving for creating or adding custom graphics. Go to DooM World's Editing Pages for a list of tutorials and other resources for those new to DooM editing.

What is played more now-a-days Doom1/Doom2?

I suspect that DooM2 is played more, but there has been a revival of interest in DooM1, particularly Episode 1 maps.

..also what do you need to play multiplayer

Check out this page for more info.

ReX said:

If you're just starting on DooM editing, perhaps you should focus on making maps first before striving for creating or adding custom graphics.

I think he wants to play these wads, not make them :)

DooMBoy said:

Two most important things you need are (IMO):
ZDoom
DeePSea

This way you can both play and edit levels :)

or you could use wad author for mapping.

As for multiplayer, you can use these:
Zdaemon
SkullTag

And there is some programs too, where you can chat with people and play dm.

Doom Connector
IDE(Internet Doom Explorer).

I hope it will get you started with online DMing. :)

Or Legacy but not many people do that anymore. I'd suggest SkullTag or ZDaemon, unless you fancy the oldschool way of starting games (-host 2, -join xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa)