Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PhobosKosmos

No Use Key?

dsm said:

Just a li'l question for those who've tried the Alpha: Do the doors open only when you face and touch them, or do they also open if you back into them like in the Quake games?

If they only open when you actually face and touch them, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

its an invisibel map entity that when something/someone is in it or tutches it it sends the message to door 7(for exampel) to open......

ps: you have never mapped have you ?

dsm - The Doors work kinda like Walkover triggers in Doom. Except the trigger is a 3D Brush rather than a Line.

dsm said:

Just a li'l question for those who've tried the Alpha: ...

In Doom³ there is more than one way the mapper can choose to let a player open a door.

It ranges from simply walking at it to link it with certain events.

After all I think that opening doors is the smallest issue regarding the use key discussion.

AirRaid said:

dsm - The Doors work kinda like Walkover triggers in Doom. Except the trigger is a 3D Brush rather than a Line.

i just sayed that

and for bna, of curse there is more than one way to do it thew diferent entetys:
- with a triger_multipel enetety ( make the door open + launch a scripted scquence+ whatever you whant )
- button_target
as for doors all you got to doo is make a triger multiplel open the door ( one out of were the player can get to , then make an object go threw it if the player punches the right combination on the pannel

havent enny of you done enny hl/quake3 or RTCW maping ???

also i gess we will have like in unreal 2 if enny of you played it : when a player needs to use a buten for a door he will just go up to the button and clic it , i mean thats simplisety @ its simpelest....

I've done HL Mapping. I was only describing how you'd make a door open by walking towards it. Obviously there are multiple ways to do anything. In HL you could set a target that would trigger on the death of a monster, which would open the door when that monster died.

[n00b]plonker said:

ps: you have never mapped have you ?

I made an attempt at doing a Doom map first using a demo of DeePsea and when it fucked up the map somehow I went over to wadauthor.
In either case I ended up very close to ramming my fist through the monitor, because I couldn't get a door at the end of a staircase (leading from higher ground down to the door) to function properly and because I couldn't get a teleporter trap to function either.

And yes, I did A LOT of experimenting with that before I lost patience - since I've tried to get into Q3A mapping, but I lose interest long before I get to the point where it should start getting interesting.
So as of now my mapping experience consists of:

1. One half-done Doom map. At some point in the process it ended up being actually decently playable so you *could* say that I made a complete map, but I didn't write it off as "done" because I had a lot of ambitions about adding all kinds of details and traps - and then it went from being "a functional map" to "a totally malfunctioning map where you wouldn't be able to reach the exit because of stupid, malfunctioning doors blocking your way".

2. A Q3A map consisting of a boring-as-fuck square room, one light source, some ammo (but no weapon because the damn editor wouldn't put that BFG I tried to put in as a test!!!!), one door and a boring-as-fuck rectangular hallway. Since I couldn't immediately figure out how to make more archetechtually interesting rooms (and since I hate reading manuals on the same technical level of the editor's manual or above - it's too fucking boring) or even add weapons, I quit.
Add to that imo there's nothing gratifying in making mp maps because you can't add some enemies to at least make the test runs fun.

As for the answers I got to my question: Thanks everybody. "Bah!" about the fact that it does open regardless of the player facing the door - I can only hope that it is true that the maps will be designed so that it won't bother us. I'd still say that next time iD decides to improve the use function, make sure that doors only open when you face them - that'd eliminate ANY of the slightest risks that you'd open a door unintentionally.

dsm said:

I can only hope that it is true that the maps will be designed so that it won't bother us. I'd still say that next time iD decides to improve the use function, make sure that doors only open when you face them - that'd eliminate ANY of the slightest risks that you'd open a door unintentionally.

In reality automatic doors do not care either :)

BNA! said:

In reality automatic doors do not care either :)

Yes, but I'm not talking about automatic doors. I'm talking about simulating the using of non-automatic doors, like pulling a handle or a button and stuff.

dsm said:

Yes, but I'm not talking about automatic doors. I'm talking about simulating the using of non-automatic doors, like pulling a handle or a button and stuff.

sry :)

In this case you should feel perfectly at home with Doom3 - you can't pull a handle with your mouse pointer without facing towards the right direction.

/edit: less exotic grammar