Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SulfurOccult

lumps

i'm trying to add some warping flats or, hell, even an animated sky to my wad. i've read the tutorials over at zdoom, but its not working. i'm trying to enter the lumps using WinTex, but it tells me the entry name is not valid and it will not let me add the lump. how do i get this stuff to work?

Remember, the maximum length of a lump name is 8 chars. Other than that, what format and colour depth of graphic are you trying to insert?

this happens quite a bit. i look for the answer to a question and can't find it. so i post about it. and wouldn't you know, posting about it is like the key to finding the answer on your own.

i found out how to add these lumps. see, WinTex dosn't recognize ZDoom lumps, so you have to load a lump like COLORMAP and then rename it.

I also have a question related to lump adding. Lets' say I'd like to add 8 new skies into my wad, wanting to assign 8 different skies to 8 different maps. I have writen the lump and inserted it into my wad, using Zdoom. But how do I add the textures themselves? For example I have a sky_xy.gif and there is the line "sky1 sky_xy" in my lump. How do I add the sky_xy.gif into the wad?

first i would imagine they would have to be bitmaps, and on the doom pallett. somebody correct me if i'm wrong on the bitmap part.

basically you select patches in wintex, and then go to edit>load entry from file, then select your sky textures and load them one by one. then go to advanced>edit textures, and then in the textures window go to textures>new and it will create a new texture in your wad. while editing the new texture, click on the patch of the sky you want and paste it onto the blank texture.

i'm telling from memory so if i missed something somebody else fill in.

I successfully played around with the MAPINFO lump. I have two questions remaining, though:

1: Final Doom supports four textures for one sky, one consisting of the textures DONHELL, DOWHELL, DOEHELL and DOSHELL, for example. How can I tell ZDoom to show four textures for a sky instead of just one, by using the MAPINFO lump?

2: When using a HUB, there naturally has to exist a level with more than one exit, sending the player to various sub-levels and eventually to the following HUB. How can this be implemented using the MAPINFO lump? I guess it has to be done with the level editor?