Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kmxexii

"Heroes" megawad - map ID

I've been playing through the Heroes megawad lately and was putting together a list of all the original WADs and authors. I know the idgames page has a link to Compet-n where someone had a go at naming identifying every map, but the link no longer works, and my cursory examination revealed no place on the site where that material would be stored.

So, I identified almost all the original WADs and authors myself, with the exception of E1M7. I'd like to nail this one down, since I've IDd the rest, and I thought I'd dip into the community's knowledge base. For anyone who can't be arsed to load it up themselves, the author locks the player in discrete sections of the map, where the marine has to solve some sort of puzzle before he can move on. Standout moments (for me) include a room lined with eleven teleporters that warp you to different crannies around the map, a gray concrete cube(ish) room which requires some switch flipping and exploring to solve, and a semi-platforming section where you have to navigate a winding walkway over inescapable 20% slime while three tiers of Imps chuck fireballs you, making some kind of bullet hell.

Thank you for your time, and if no one knows, well, so it goes!

And, uh, if anyone wants the list, I'll post it.

Did you check the textfile SOURCE that is included in the download? That lists every wad used (in alphabetical order).

Yeah. E1M7 does not resemble any of the wads listed in any way, shape or form. It wasn't pulled from Slaughter Until Death or Gary Karnik's WADPAK3.WAD either (at least, as far as I can tell). SOURCE does say he pulled 3 from WADPAK3 (which I found to be CORE.WAD, OPOST21.WAD and AFRO.WAD). Since he already listed AFRO.WAD once in SOURCE, I'm assuming it's just an erroneous mention. Nor could I find it in the WARBABY.WAD / PRODOOM.WAD mini collections.

I can't rule out that the map was originally part of one of these WADs and changed in a later version, but I don't think that's likely. I also know it's not one of the levels Al designed himself since they're postively IDd in the ALS_WADS.txt found in the HEROEZ.zip that holds most of the original text files.

kmxexii said:

I know the idgames page has a link to Compet-n where someone had a go at naming identifying every map, but the link no longer works, and my cursory examination revealed no place on the site where that material would be stored.

The file can be found here. http://doomedsda.us is the first place to look for demo stuff.

But NA didn't have any luck with identifying E1M7 back then either.

Ah, thanks much. Yeah, without contacting Al directly, and that's assuming he still remembers, I'm not sure it'll ever get identified. That said, seeing as there are still some blanks I filled in with my own research, here's the full list of WADs and authors:

E1M1 AFRO.WAD (by Tim Scott), found in WADPAK3.WAD
E1M2 BRAVE.WAD (author unknown)
E1M3 INFEST.WAD (by Nicholas Bell)
E1M4 MEGAWATT.WAD (by Casey Miller)
E1M5 TECH.WAD (by Ben Morris aka Warbaby), found in WARBABY.WAD
E1M6 OPOST21.WAD (by Scott Amspoker), found in WADPAK3.WAD
E1M7 FRENZY.WAD (by Jeffrey Chow)
E1M8 _WOW_.WAD (by Jon Landis)
E1M9 CRUSHER.WAD (by Ethan Brodsky)

E2M1 GRYBLOOD.WAD (anonymous)
E2M2 CORE.WAD (by Barry Ferg), found in WADPAK3.WAD
E2M3 BEN10.WAD (by Ben Morris aka Warbaby), found in WARBABY.WAD
E2M4 START1.WAD (by Albert Dewey)
E2M5 KILLZONE.WAD (by Craig J. Dudle)
E2M6 WHITROOM.WAD (by Doug Ryerson)
E2M7 Damned Bastards (by Panza of The Innocent Crew), found in SUDTIC.WAD (E2M6)
E2M8 HEX1.WAD (by Peter Naus)
E2M9 PVBDETH.WAD (by James Atchison aka Professor Doom), found in PRODOOM.WAD

E3M1 MARX2_1.WAD (by The Harbinger of Sorrow)
E3M2 PERI11.WAD (by Peri Strange)
E3M3 11FORTKO.WAD (by Guy Stockie)
E3M4 START2.WAD (by Albert Dewey)
E3M5 BCOMPLEX.WAD (by Megaduck)
E3M6 CRATER.WAD (by Jin H. Kim aka Time Traveller)
E3M7 TOWER2.WAD (by Chris Kendall)
E3M8 TIGERDEN.WAD (by Jim Young)
E3M9 FORGE.WAD (by John C. Lyons)

E4M1 TOWN.WAD (by Kevin Haley and Bill Courneya)
E4M2 DAEMON2.WAD (by Cameron Newham)
E4M3 SPILLWAY.WAD (by Jeff Ebert)
E4M4 HOOTER.WAD (by Norman Scott)
E4M5 DMTURM.WAD (by Nicholas Bell)
E4M6 DMATCH1.WAD (by Albert Dewey)
E4M7 TIBET.WAD (by Keith Sheehan)
E4M8 TGMO2.WAD (by Bruce A. Bacher)
E4M9 DMATCH2.WAD (by Albert Dewey)

Please note that BRAVE.WAD is not by Funduke - he was just the uploader to the archive. The author is, as far as I know, unknown.