Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Canofbacon

Monster Death = End Game

Depends on:

#1: if you want the monster species to ALWAYS trigger level exit on death (i.e. every Cyberdemon in your wad, and even if there are more in one map, level will end after killing the first), or...
#2: or if you want a particular monster only on a certain map and/or a certain moment.

Option #1: You need ZDoom's DECORATE, but even vanilla-compatible DEHACKED would be enough. You'd need to put an exit action/codepointer into the monster's death sequence (BossDie).

Option #2: What you need is ZDoom's ACS scripting. Unless you're making E2M8 or E3M8 for Doom, in which it's hardcoded. Or maybe another option would be MAPINFO and some special action on a map. Or what Shadow Hog said, that's probably the best, although I don't know about that method since I never much mapped for UDMF (and "Doom as Hexen" doesn't have such option).

Please clarify what exactly you want, and then I could specify what I mean and quide you step by step if you want.

scifista42 said:

Depends on:
#2: or if you want a particular monster only on a certain map

Please clarify what exactly you want, and then I could specify what I mean and quide you step by step if you want.

Yeah #2 is what I need. I am mapping in ZDoom (Doom in Hexen Format) and I'm just sorta goofing around in Doom Builder 2. I want the map to end when a certain Former Sergent is killed. Does adding +BOSS to the DECORATE do something?

It'll do many things (look up the BOSS flag on the ZDoom wiki), but not directly what you want.

Just give an action special to the sergeant in question. It's possible in UDMF and Hexen format. Give it the special "Exit_Normal" and there you go, it'll be run when the sergeant dies.

You can also put a special on a pickup item, then it'll be run when it's picked up. For example, if you put Exit_Normal on a soulsphere, then picking up the soulsphere will end the level.

Canofbacon said:

a certain Former Sergent is killed.

No DECORATE then. Try to just assign the End Level action special to him (in his Actions tab I guess).

EDIT: :)

Gez said:

Just give an action special to the sergeant in question. It's possible in UDMF and Hexen format. Give it the special "Exit_Normal" and there you go, it'll be run when the sergeant dies.

Thanks that worked. Is there a way to make the sergeant "self-destruct" after say, 3 seconds after seeing the player? I tried making a new DECORATE file in XWE and adding

actor BossShotgunGuy : ShotgunGuy replaces ShotgunGuy
 {

States
   {
    See:
    goto Death
 }
 }
but that combined with the end game upon death thing created this weird glitch were you had to shoot the area were the sergeant was standing.

"goto Death" won't work, as it doesn't actually kill the sergeant. You need to put A_Die somewhere in his walking sequence.

However, make the right timing would be more problematique, specially if you're apparently beginner and you may want the sergeant to attack in the meantime. For this reason, I strongly recommend you to get into ACS, since you are already mapping in Hexen format and ACS is one of its most powerful features. With ACS your problem can be solved in few seconds without even opening XWE. Well, few minutes.

You can do this in vanilla Doom even, using ancient crusty-ass DeHackEd. Just assign the action A_BrainDie to any monster. All it does is call G_ExitLevel.

Be aware it does this even if you are dead, though, in which case you'll pistol-start the next map.

scifista42 said:

"goto Death" won't work, as it doesn't actually kill the sergeant. You need to put A_Die somewhere in his walking sequence.

Thank you, and okay I'll check ACS out. Would you say it's hard to get into?

ACS is very similar to programming language C. Which I knew a little before I started with ACS, so it was easy to me. Fortunately, ZDoom wiki has a lot of tutorials, function explanations, and examples of codes are included nearly on every page. Search links on the bottom of the ACS page I linked to, the most useful are A quick beginner's guide to ACS and once you get it, Built-in ACS functions.

scifista42 said:

ACS is very similar to programming language C. Which I knew a little before I started with ACS, so it was easy to me.

I know a little bit of C. Thanks for the info.