Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Questions about PS3 Doom

Do any of the maps have different checksums than the official PC releases*? Was the yellow key bug fixed on TNT MAP31? Are the Xbox secret exits intact? If so, do they lead to Sewers and Betray?

*excluding E1M1 and Doom 2 MAP02, assuming they retain the Xbox secret exit

Having owned the Ps3 Doom collection, I can say that there are no secret exits to Sewers or Betray. That was exclusive to the original Xbox version.

I never made it to map 31 because the Ps3 version drops below 35 fps frequently. Very poorly ported - in two player split screen the game literally runs at 10-15 fps (almost unplayable.) The Xbox 360 version is much smoother.

If I recall correctly I saw a comment on Bethesda's website a while back requesting a patch for the missing yellow keycard in TNT map 31. I doubt that was fixed.

RUSH said:

Having owned the Ps3 Doom collection, I can say that there are no secret exits to Sewers or Betray. That was exclusive to the original Xbox version.

They're completely invisible, have you tried actually using them? I don't mean to condescend if you already know this, but in case you don't, double-checking wouldn't hurt. E1M1's switch is one of the diagonal walls in the courtyard, and the MAP02 switch is in a corner of one of the alcoves that open up when you take the red keycard.

If it uses the BFG version as a basis, it's more likely that only the MAP02 exit would be there, as E1M1 was reverted back to the April 1995 version (probably only because Nerve software did it). Wouldn't hurt to check, though. There's a good chance that even if Betray is in the PS3 IWAD, the switch will likely send you back to MAP02.

RUSH said:

I never made it to map 31 because the Ps3 version drops below 35 fps frequently. Very poorly ported - in two player split screen the game literally runs at 10-15 fps (almost unplayable.) The Xbox 360 version is much smoother.

Woah. I know the cell architecture can be a bit annoying to work with, but it's freaking Doom. How does it run that badly on 2006 hardware? Modern id is lazy and unskilled.

RUSH said:

If I recall correctly I saw a comment on Bethesda's website a while back requesting a patch for the missing yellow keycard in TNT map 31. I doubt that was fixed.

Hmm. Again, it seems that id has an empty head these days. Chances are that it wasn't fixed (the bastards), but if you (or anyone else who owns the PS3 version) are willing to slog through the bad framerate, it'd be nice to know if they have, for documentation's sake.

I've never owned a PS3 and probably never will. I sold my 360 years ago because it was a dust collector, but haven't sold my Wii. If anyone wants a cheap Wii, PM or email me for more details if you're interested.

Yes, I know that the secret exits are invisible. I own Doom 3: Collector's edition for the original Xbox so I know where to look. I sold off my Ps3 so I am no longer able to check again, but I'm 99% sure I tried in the right spot before and there was nothing.

If you are thinking about getting this port, don't. I was completely baffled how a game from 1993 can LAG on such modern hardware. There's no excuse for 10 fps split screen. This combined with censored levels has really turned put me off from playing modern console Doom. Doom 3 BFG Edition has also showed id's recent laziness when it comes to porting games and it's very disappointing.

I'm looking for that Bethesda comment regarding the TNT map 31 keycard. I'll post the link if I find it.

I can confirm the absence of the two bonus levels.

And I can confirm that the game runs like garbage and makes me very angry. There's zero excuse for Doom of all things to run like this.

When Plutonia 2 came out I installed PrBoom on Linux on my Playstation 3 and played a very sizable amount of it with zero performance issues.

Mike.Reiner said:

I can confirm the absence of the two bonus levels.

And I can confirm that the game runs like garbage and makes me very angry. There's zero excuse for Doom of all things to run like this.

When Plutonia 2 came out I installed PrBoom on Linux on my Playstation 3 and played a very sizable amount of it with zero performance issues.

This.