Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doohnibor

Quake the way ID did?

BlackFish said:

I think part of Quake's ageness problem is the rigidness of the monsters in the game.

On the other hand, Quake provides level makers with more freedom in exploring the third dimension, and its amateur mapping scene has nice traditions of "vertical" design. Versatility is there.

As a person who still plays and mods Quake one to this very day, I'd love to see something like this, too. The community is still very active, so it is not out of the realm of possibility.

There are plenty of amazing maps and map packs for Quake one. I recommend Soul of Evil, Insomnia, and Rubicon Rumble for starters. The Hell That's Coming is a nice single map that I recommend, too. Amazing sky box and it makes great use of colored lighting with the moonlight shining down on your gun while you are outdoors.

[Off-Topic]

I've always preferred Quake 1's game world over Doom's due to the fact that, imo, it has a much stronger sense of place, is more atmospheric, and has more ambiance. There is far more going on with the environment in general (sound effects/ambiance of the environment, true booby traps that are not just damaging floors and ceilings, swimmable water, moving platforms in 3D space, room-over-room, clever secrets, etc). I like the fact that the monsters are actually moving around the level, making sounds, and actually doing things before chasing the player. It adds to the idea that you are in a living world and not just a static set piece. The bestiary is smaller than Doom's, but the enemies are much tougher and they lay into you constantly, which makes the engagements much more fun.

I prefer the general look of Quake one, too. It just has this dark, gritty, almost primal look to it that just does it for me. Sure, the models aren't the prettiest, but the game was made during the pioneering years of true 3D games when all models pretty much looked like shit, so it comes with the territory. If I can forgive shitty, low-res, pixelated sprites that strained your eyes at the time then I can forgive clunky, first generation, low-poly 3D models.

Da Werecat said:

On the other hand, Quake provides level makers with more freedom in exploring the third dimension, and its amateur mapping scene has nice traditions of "vertical" design. Versatility is there.

Agreed. It also offers more design possibilities in general.

Sandstormer said:

.....The community is still very active, so it is not out of the realm of possibility.

There are plenty of amazing maps and map packs for Quake one. I recommend Soul of Evil, Insomnia, and Rubicon Rumble for starters. The Hell That's Coming ....

Thank you. I just gave the last one on your list a try.
Very nice indeed!
Although it wouldn't qualify as a "Quake the way Id did" map in my book. It's at least two generations ahead ; )

As I mentioned earlier, it's almost impossible these days to find recent maps which resemble the look/feel/gameplay of the original set.

I really hope there will be more of it in the future.

Doohnibor said:

Thank you. I just gave the last one on your list a try.
Very nice indeed!
Although it wouldn't qualify as a "Quake the way Id did" map in my book. It's at least two generations ahead ; )

As I mentioned earlier, it's almost impossible these days to find recent maps which resemble the look/feel/gameplay of the original set.

I really hope there will be more of it in the future.

No problem! That was more of a general list for people who think that Quake one doesn't have any good maps available. Abyss of Pandemonium would be closer to the original set.