Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

The loss of ly ... does it matter?

What is the deal with "not"? Someone mentioned the sentence "I'm not a cop." How else would you say that? Saying it another way makes it longer and still requires the word "not". E.g "I'm a painter, not a cop."

That's a very direct way, although I can see where not could become problematic with double negatives. Please elaborate, I'd like to know what the general thinking about it is (not being critical or mean, just curious).

Lvangundy said:

What is the deal with "not"? Someone mentioned the sentence "I'm not a cop." How else would you say that? Saying it another way makes it longer and still requires the word "not". E.g "I'm a painter, not a cop."

That's a very direct way, although I can see where not could become problematic with double negatives. Please elaborate, I'd like to know what the general thinking about it is (not being critical or mean, just curious).

Without context you can't build sentence structure without know what your responding to. As an example, ask yourself what would have to be said to you to spur such a response? Did someone ask if you're a cop? The answer should be "no"... not " I'm not a cop." The latter is redundant.

I am not going in there. I am terrified of spiders.

Not that it is up to me, but I think we should not shoot the suspect; rather, we should blindfold him and release him in the middle of the woods.

You are not going to the dance dressed like that.

There is not enough food for everyone to survive three weeks.

Not doing your homework is not an option.

I do not see the problem with the word not.

All my examples are people speaking.

Not is probably less useful when describing something or narrating.