Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jannak

Does anyone find Tech Base maps boring?

I like them when there's some amount of atmosphere or unique room and fight design that sets them apart from what many seem to end up being which is more or less something that feels like it's "E1 but it goes on forever and it's bigger and grayer and even more baron-ey-er".

Most D1 and D2 techbase style maps I've played do something to my brain where I lose focus and patience and start getting killed by the weakest enemies simply out of lack of concentration or boredom.
I can't really describe it well, but it's like I just switch into an "I can't wait for this to be over" mode, one big reason for this is many of the maps appear to suffer from room-hallway-room-hallway-hallway syndrome at the same time as also never going below say, 160 light level, so my eyes also get "Absolutely Killed" (real name of a UD wad I tried).

I recently played maps from a bunch of Ultimate Doom episode replacements to try and find decent maps and to see what kind of stuff is overdone in them because I'm thinking of caving in and making one of my own but didn't want to just copy either Stickney Installation or Silence or any more ancient replacement...
Main thing I'm getting at is that I noticed that most maps, even some made after the 90's and early 00's, just seem to absolutely spam hitscanners and imps in almost random locations that feel worse than combat that's incidental but at least sensible, overuse spectres and demons, spam barons as a cheap difficulty spike, etc.

Yeah, they tend to be on the more boring side, but a lot depends on the actual intricacy of the geometry.

tl;dr: Yeah and no. You can make interesting tech bases, but many mappers won't.

you can have preferences as baseline or as weird as heck but if you use them to punish other people's creations then fuck off and stop side-eyeing everyone's work

On 11/25/2022 at 11:23 AM, Caffeine Freak said:

There's no more worthwhile a reason for reviving a six year old thread than having it locked within a day when members inexplicably start fighting. Fuck this thread, it deserved it. 

Dude, i wasn't fighting.. i just replied to Graf Zahl sir.

13 hours ago, Heck Yeah said:

Dude, i wasn't fighting.. i just replied to Graf Zahl sir.

I wasn't referring to you, I was speaking about roadworx and CFWMagic.