Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheLazenby

The beauty of Doom 64

DaniJ said:

Worthless rendering system? Examples plz.

As you know I have already pledged to enhance the engine where needed for Doom64TC and have spent considerable time implementing a system which can recreate the original D64 lighting model near perfectly for 1.9.0.

Well thats a simple one to answer - Doomsday doesn't HAVE a scripting system. XG is not and will never be, a scripting system.

I meant XG for the 'scripting' system. These comments I made about the rendering was refering to the time of the TC's development where I had to use custom flats for the colored sectors which was frustrating, then had to 'hack' the doomsday exe so that users couldn't mess with the glowing options. I wanted to have full control on the glowing system during the tc's development.

But I am looking forward to 1.9.0

Graf Zahl said:

Which particular features did you miss? It's hard to tell if you have never seen the original. The TC is the only Doom64 version I have ever played.

One of the things that I wanted to be perfected was the lightning, Doom64 had very customizable lighting, this includes the linedefs, flats, sprites. Each one of these can be emitted with a separete color/lightning.

In Doom64, each sprite, texture, and flat had its own palette, in the TC I had to use .png files for each sprite (to support full color and not by the palette) which were frustrating because not only that they didn't work on some video cards, but also they took up a lot of space.

Another thing that I wanted to perfect was the recoil effect, blinking lights, and other light effects that couldn't be recreated in doomsday.

Angelus said:

now ive always wondered if someone made a doom64 wad? if so, where in the blue hell can i find it.

The only other known Doom64 wad is the main iwad that can be found in the rom ;)

Indeed, using glowing flats for the lighting effects were quite annoying. It really limits you as to what you can do with the maps. Hell, I'm surprised it was even possible to use it to that extent.

I don't see how the sprites thing is too much of an issue. The TC on the Doom Depot website only comes up to 20MB, which really isn't that large if you think about it. The thing that really takes up space is the Music wad, which is completely optional. Implementing the ability to have 8-bit palettes for each image sounds like more of a pain than it's worth.. but considering my level of programming knowledge (note: next to none), there's a pretty good chance I could be wrong.

The additions I've seen in the new version of Doomsday should be ideal for this TC, in my opinion. It looks very promising. (props to Dani J of course :D)

Also I believe the aspect ratio in doom64 was different, maybe due to it being on a TV. In the TC, a 64x64 wall texture is stretched slightly vertically, where as on the n64, it's either equal or stretched slightly horizontally. The doomguy in doom64 felt way taller, and changing the aspect ratio a bit might fix that a bit.

iori said:

Also I believe the aspect ratio in doom64 was different, maybe due to it being on a TV. In the TC, a 64x64 wall texture is stretched slightly vertically, where as on the n64, it's either equal or stretched slightly horizontally. The doomguy in doom64 felt way taller, and changing the aspect ratio a bit might fix that a bit.

Different N64 games have different resolutions, but MOST of them seem to be 320x240 from what I can tell. Doom, at least the DOS version, appears to be 320x200, I think.

Yeah, right from the start, I remember renting this game back when it was out for a while, I think. Right from the start, when i saw the gun, the lights, the errieness, it scared the crap outta me. It's just, as previously mentioned before, an alternative doom. It is interesting, though.