Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

so I went ahead and dehacked some new monsters, though it's back to being MBF level compat. I think the issue with the suiciders before was indeed me trying to use the beta frames, which I guess PrBoom+ doesn't actually support, or I couldn't figure out how to get it to. anyway, I ended up modifying the Baron to be a Cyber Baron (sprites by Ben2k9) which either throws two Baron fireballs at you quite quickly, or sometimes shoots a rocket at you instead. neat!

the other monster is a "Greater Mancubus," which is just a flying version of the Mancubus basically. it has two possible attacks it'll do, but they're both just a varied series of Mancubus fireballs. sprites were done by zrrion.

here's a pair of non-telling photos!

http://imgur.com/a/ome1O

ps yes they actually work in Prboom+ now

Those sound like cool additions with a lot more potential for interesting/non-annoying gameplay than the monsters in the first version. Manc looks cool, though I wonder how it animates.

um. it's... ok I guess. it only has one moving frame, so it looks somewhat stoic, as its little danglies never move really. and because of its size and the way the FatAttackX functions work, I had to offset the sprite downwards a bit, so its danglies can also go into the ground a little bit. not ideal obviously. as far as utility goes though I'm excited to try incorporating it though!

I tried making a map03 yesterday, not entirely sure how I feel about it. it's quite an open map so I struggled with the gameplay. as such any feedback there is appreciated, because I'm not very satisfied with how it plays at the moment.

I made some minor changes to map01 and 02 as well. map03 is playable from pistol start though

https://www.mediafire.com/?a4gzkb8d8kb7ern

I had added them in, but then removed them. I was debating on whether to try to introduce them in a fancy way in one of the next few maps (ie a boss map), but I think ultimately it's not worth it to have a really small wow factor and save them up instead of just trying to use them from the get-go.

so for the moment, no I think the first two maps are basically the same :\

also also, the new flying mancs drop clips since they replace nazis. not sure if I'll just let it be or if I'll move em over to the keen slot to stop that from happening.

another edit: here's a version with some changes/fixes. I should mention also that there's a section with switches and lowering floors (past the blue key door) that could be broken and halt your progress if you push the main switch before the floors lower. didn't realize it would work that way when I was designing it, so that section will need to be changed/removed at some point. for now enjoy the breakable map!

https://www.mediafire.com/?fjfmitp5rr5jnp7

FDAs for map 3, done in PrBoom+ -complevel 11
Done pretty early in the morning, I make a lot of mistakes and they're pretty boring, don't watch them if you don't feel like it. I do make it eventually on the fda2 lmp. Used the old version of the map I think so maybe you can't watch them anyhow.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1256166

I did almost get stuck at that switch section but you marked the switch repeatable so I was able to hit it again even though it had gone into the floor. There were also some missing textures along the corner areas, here.

Anyhow I didn't enjoy this map as much as the others, partly because I'm not too into / not too good at the large open-area fights. Also the monsters teleporting onto the platforms were a bit annoying. It wasn't a terrible map, I think it would fit OK alongside the other two, but it's my least favourite of the 3 so far. I liked it enough to beat my head on it until I finished, at least. Didn't find the BFG secret at all, it would've made the map a lot easier probably, even with only one or two shots. I basically ran out of ammo at one point, a bit surprising since it seemed there was a lot of it, but then I wasn't exactly being conservative with ammo use either.

I dig the palette changes, even though now the cacos really look like space tomatoes. It also gives Doomguy's face on the status bar some freckles, might want to recolour those graphics. New enemies are very cool, the sudden appearance of the flying mancs caught me off guard at least once, I think they look good despite the lack of animation, and the attack patterns are good, some variation from the normal mancs but with only two volleys of fireballs, it's easy enough to dodge on reaction. Mechabarons are interesting, they can infight if they damage one another with rockets, seems they can also anger Hell Knights with their green fireballs. Anyhow they're a nice variation, I bet you could sneak a few into MAP 02 if you wanted, rather than save both new enemies for the third map. I like the edit of the Demon sprite too.

cool cool, thanks for the feedback. the updated version I posted did have more ammo actually, good to know I seemingly had reason to add more.

re: the switch, yeah I initially had some idea about "unlocking" a metal box thing and revealing the new flying manc for the first time, but in this scale, with this setup, it doesn't really work. once I think of something I'll have to replace that whole area because it's really just weird.

I hadn't noticed the spots on Doomguy though heh, I'll have to edit those. been playing with the Boom hud. the metal switches have some dark green spots on them now too so that'll need editing. I'll see about adding some barons to the old maps as I'll probably keep tweaking those anyway.

I would rather map03 have gameplay more like the first two but with the areas I designed I didn't know how to really do that. I'll keep at it, I suppose. thanks for playing again plums