Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duh

Multiplayer situation

I'm pretty sure I am part of the problem (passively, not actively) because I had just played a LAN CTF game at my cousins house last night where the players insisted on using Zandronum, and I got crushed pretty bad by players who were bunny-hopping (gaining momentum by jumping, apparently), rocket jumping, crouching through windows you normally can't fit through, and the adjusted blast radius of the rocket launcher and less damage of the super shotgun.

What I would describe as "not Doom" is excessive hairsplitting to the average Doom lay man, so I was pretty much just a sore loser. A port that seeks to unite everyone would probably do more harm than good.

I have the same problem with some relatives who always want to play some Windows game they have been playing. They don't want to play games where you have a chance, they want to be superior. They want to show-off their status.

Competitive Doom players will not readily play anything except the Doom port where they (through investing many hours) have achieved status.
Everything else follows upon their need to preserve their status.

Balkanization: The political communities could not solve this by any other means than war.

Your new port would have to not inherit anything from any other port, because all players would have to be equally bad in the new venue.
It will not be accepted that any other player could have an advantage due to some inherited capability of their previous port.

The union would be temporary. These forced unions tend to undo themselves. Each of the differences benefits some group, who will still have reason to favor an effort directed to improving their own experience and status. It will happen because GPL allows any group to make a fork with only a couple days investment. To inhibit this, need to require them to write their port from scratch, or be required some other immense time wasting investment like having to recode entire wad databases in some new format.

In the original post, there is more going on than just arranging a duel. The fair option would be to duel some on one port, and then duel on another port, and then maybe compare the experiences.

40oz said:

I'm pretty sure I am part of the problem (passively, not actively) because I had just played a LAN CTF game at my cousins house last night where the players insisted on using Zandronum, and I got crushed pretty bad by players who were bunny-hopping (gaining momentum by jumping, apparently), rocket jumping, crouching through windows you normally can't fit through, and the adjusted blast radius of the rocket launcher and less damage of the super shotgun.

What I would describe as "not Doom" is excessive hairsplitting to the average Doom lay man, so I was pretty much just a sore loser. A port that seeks to unite everyone would probably do more harm than good.

FYI, all of those things can be enabled or disabled at will if you have RCON access. The standard for CTF settings atm is probably closer to ZDaemon than it is to the bunnyhopping days of yore.

Anything else than vanilla is not competitive but cheating.
All your souceports: Zdeamon, Odemax and Zandronum/skulltag are zdoom trash
Nah, just joking.
but... when ocasionaly playing on zandronum, I happen to see how someone change dm flags in middle of match! not sure whenever it was admin or some dirty hacker but it is higly unfair...

Also the problem with low ammout of multiplayer players is not because of many source ports but because people think their silly CoD is better than doom!