Advanced engine needed : GZDoom 2.1.1 (recommended), Zandronum 3.0,
ZDoom 2.8.1 (may be slow)
Primary purpose : No levels included
Title : Beautiful Doom (version 22.214.171.124)
Filename : BDoom_61.pk3
(BDOOM_MAIN.wad, BDoom_weapons.wad, BDoom_monsters.wad,
Release date : May 22, 2016
Author : Agent_Ash aka Jekyll Grim Payne aka zer0
Email Address : firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Files By Author : runngun2.wad, wizardr2.wad (aka wizard2.wad),
equilibr.wad, painkill.wad, badguns.wad,
virtus.wad, rusars.wad, rusarsR.wad
Additional Credits : FrancoTieppo (http://francotieppo.deviantart.com/)
for awesome Doom High-Def weapon designs that
were used as a basis for weapon pickup sprites
* Death Egg - for all the really sweet HD item sprites
* Revenant100 - for Minor Sprite Fixing project
(check out the project's link below)
* perkistan â€” for Doom HD sound pack which is included
* perkristian - again for older Smooth Weapon Animation mod
where I originally borrowed weapon animation sprites
* Gifty - for Smooth Doom, where I borrowed some projectile
sprites and explosions
* The Zombie Killer - for footsteps ACS effect
* Enjay - for new switches and splashes, advice
about footsteps and about sound bugs
* David G. - Doom Guy alt. death sprites
* DenisBelmondo - Doom Guy alt. death sprites
* WildWeasel - for cool ww-diaz.wad and inspiration
* Nash - for Nashgore which was a basis for meat
* alando1 - for some of the additional death
* Xtife - suggestions about texture animation.
* BurningCadavre - lots of useful bug reports.
Description : Beautiful Doom is the grandfather of enhancement mods,
born in 2008, updated multiple times, and now in 2015
it received the ultimate update. Since then it has
improved a lot.
It's a mod that keeps original Doom gameplay but
introduces lots of special effects and visual
enhancements for deeper and more thrilling Doom
Known Issues : "Smarter" sprite clipping mode is recommended. If you
some issues like sprites bouncing up and down or
clipping through the floor, use "Smart" clipping.
While the mod works in ZDoom, it's originally intended
for OpenGL, so translucent light halos and similar
effects may be slow. But you can turn off light effects.
If you suffer from performance issues or don't like
some of the new effects, you can use special functions
defined in controls menu, which let you turn on and
off advanced gibbing, blood, smoke and plasma trails
and debris, weapon empty casings and weapon smoke.
And this all can be toggled separately!
YOUTUBE TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axs1rA4KdaQ
WHAT'S NEW IN 6.0 compared to previous versions:
* It's inside a pk3. You can play it as a whole or tear it up and take out the
things you like. But make sure YOU ALWAYS USE BDOOM_MAIN.WAD.
* The mod is split into 6 wads:
BDOOM_MAIN.WAD - always needed!
BDoom_weapons.wad - weapons and their effects and also player's new deaths
BDoom_monsters.wad - monsters, gibbing. blood
BDoom_objects.wad - decorations, flat sounds, footsteps
BDoom_HDsprites.wad - HD and hi-res pickup sprites for items and guns
(HD sprites is the only standalone wad that can be used even with original Doom)
* All weapons have been carefully rebalanced to act fully original. Except if you
decide to use Enhanced Guns player class which will give you rebalanced weapons.
* Monsters also have fully vanilla behavior. For example Arch-Vile now can resurrect
gibbed monsters, and Spider-Mastermind shots at proper speed (although visually it
shoots at higher speed, but that's just a purely visual effect).
* Most sprites have been redrawn. There are more variations and they look much
better. There are
* Gibs have much improved and optimized physics and better sprites and effects.
* LOTS of new deaths. Including Decapitation death (when you deal more damage than
needed for regular death but not enough to gib the monster), lots of regular deaths
plus a CHAINSAW DEATH for all zombies.
* New footsteps code by The Zombie Killer.
* HD weapon pickup sprites and hi-res main item sprites.
* Lots of code optimization and bug fixes.
** MINI-UPDATES LOG **
*** CHANGE: now GZDoom 2.1.1 or ZDoom 2.8.1 are required (earlier versions won't work). Zandronum 3.0 is still fine.
- IMPORTANT: gibs used to block teleporting monsters. Now with +ALWAYSTELEFRAG flag they don't.
- Hell Knight doesn't show Baron of Hell sprites in one of his resurrection animations.
- Vanilla Supershotgun's reload animation is more similar to the classic one (you put in both rounds simultaneously)
- My new statusbar now replaces standard Doom statusbar (with the mug) while ZDoom's fullscreen statusbar remains unaltered
- M_DOOM (image above the main menu) shows correct version
- In 126.96.36.199 Enhanced Guns still worked in Deathmatch because I made a mistake in the script. Now they don't.
- Dual Pistols don't spawn in Deathmatch games
- Fixed a bug where Shotgun Guy would stay mirrored (walk backwards) after being resurrected by an Arch-Vile
- Fixed a bug where Imp would show incorrect resurrecting animation after one of the 2 possible "plasma death" animations
- Cacodemon now shows corret resurrection animations depending on which death animation was used
- Enhanced Shotgun melee alt. attack doesn't alert monsters anymore
- Arachnotron's plasmaballs leave proper green decals, not blue ones
- Missing dynamic lighting when firing a weapon
- Decorative blood spawned by hanging dead bodies now properly disappears when landing on water
- Decorative dead bodies now never spawn blood if Advanced Bleeding is off
- Missing sprite in Cyberdemon's death animation
- When connecting to a deathmatch game having selected Enhanced Guns you will see a message telling you they won't work, after which you'll be switched to Vanilla Guns
- Alternative death animation for Chaingun Guy, similar to Smooth Doom, but with improved blood graphics (and less smooth, to correspond to the original sprite rate)
- Sprite variations for decorative marine corpse
- All scripts connected to toggling special effects were moved to the MAIN wad, so that now there's only one section of controls related to turning on/off the SFX in 'Customize Controls'
- Decorative dead bodies don't spawn decorative blood as often
- Changed the font and the position of the SFX-toggle on-screen messages
- Added improved HD sprites for Medikit, Stimpack, Berserk, Health Bonus, Green Armor and Blue Armor
SEE THE EARLIER CHANGELOG ENTRIES AT THE BOTTOM OF THE DOCUMENT
* Copyright / Permissions *
Authors MAY use the contents of this file as a base for modification or
reuse. Permissions have been obtained from original authors for any of
their resources modified or included in this file.
You MAY distribute this file, provided you include this text file, with no
modifications. You may distribute this file in any electronic format (BBS,
Diskette, CD, etc) as long as you include this file intact. I have
received permission from the original authors of any modified or included
content in this file to allow further distribution.
* Where to get the file that this text file describes *
You can always find the latest version here:
- FINALLY, PLAYER'S ALT. DEATHS AND GIBS!
All the same that zombies have: fire, green fire, plasma, BFG, chainsaw deaths and advanced gibbing with unique gibs
- Secrets and kills counters to the statusbar
- Health, armor and ammo counters on the statusbar now change color depending on the amount
- Steampack, Medikit and Berserk HD sprites are slightly improved
- Enhanced Guns now don't work in Deathmatch (although the player class can be selected, you'll still get vanilla guns)
- Possible bug when SFX would turn back on when entering a new level even if you'd turned them off before that
- Removed unnecessary TEXTURES lump from BDoom_Monsters.wad that may have caused some errors
- Enhanced Shotgun alt. attack doesn't leave holes on the walls anymore
- Zandronum: Replaced CheckClass command with a different one so that the mod works in Zandronum
- Zandronum: changed rocket's damage type so that it doesn't trigger fire deaths anymore (seems like in Zandronum rocket has damagetype "Fire" internally)
- New STATUSBAR: a 'remix' of Doom's original status bar that works in all
aspect ratios. It works as a fullscreen statusbar (with alternative hud off only)
and is basically the same old statusbar, just rearranged on the screen
- Enhanced Fist alt. attack (temporary experiment to see how it goes):
secondary attack alows to push enemies away for quick getaway, dealing to damage;
with Berserk Pack push is much stronger and hurts enemies if they hit something;
this attack's effectiveness is boosted by your spead (use while running)
- perkistan's HD Doom sounds are now included in the mod; you can hear the HD
weapon sounds if you use Vanilla Guns, while Enhanced Guns still use my sounds
- Dynamic light for Megasphere
- New smoke for bullet puffs and guns: now the smoke spawned by bullets and
over gun barrels is different fromt the smoke spawned behind rockets and
raising over charred bodies.
- A replacement actor for BFG sprays (secondary small plasma explosions
spawned at enemies when BFG ball explodes)
- A second type of "plasma death", a "BFG death": it blackens corpses
like plasma death, but doesn't prevent gibbing and bleeding (so the corpses
end up sort of black-and-red or black-and-blue in case of Cacodemon)
- Imps, Hell Knights and Baron of Hells now spawn particle fire in their
hands prior to throwing a fireball
- Minor enemies now have "green fire death" in addition to "fire death", which
activates when they're burnt by a Hell Knight/Baron of Hell
- Teleport Fog animation is now shorter (takes less time)
- Updated information on enhanced pistol on HELP (F1) screen according to
changes (no +1 damage anymore)
- Chaingun drawing sound
- Plasmaballs now leave a decal that fades out much quicker
- But plasma railgun leaves a long-fading decal, similar to the one
previously used by plasmaballs
- Chainsaw idle animation is now much less pronounced, just minor shaking
- Idle Chainsaw now produces some smoke
- Missing Rocket launcher drawing sound
- Missing pickup sounds for SSG and Shotgun
- Missing float-bobbing on Soulsphere
- Cacodemon not clipping into TERRAIN water when killed with plasma
- Dual pistols not having a gun flash when dual wielding
- Enhanced Pistol still having 6 damage instead of 5
*** BUG FIXES
- Fixed a bug where a gibbed enemy would drop double items
- Fixed vanilla chainsaw having faster deselection animation like enhanced one
*** BEHAVIOR CHANGES
- Vanilla Guns now always use Doom vanilla sounds, Enhanced Guns new use new sounds
- If you use both the Weapons wad and the Monsters wad, then enemy's attack
sounds will always correspond to the chosen weapon set (i.e. they will use
either vanilla or enhanced sounds depending on the chosed weapon set)
- Chainsaw used to have small delay (3 tics) before beginning its attack
which is not how it works in original Doom. Now the delay is still present
visually, but the actual attack begins and happens at the same rate as in
- Slightly reduced the chance of getting an extra pistol (Enhanced Guns only)
from a Zombieman
- However now with a 50% chance an extra pistol may spawn next to a chainsaw
(for those maps where there are no Zombiemen at the beginning), if you're
using Enhanced Guns class
- Fixed buggy light halo spawning. Fixed that a blue halo would spawn on
non-blue torches if you turn Advanced Flames off and then on again.
- Short torches now have smaller light halos than big torches
- Chainsaw death animations can also be occasionally mirrored, like other
- I removed smooth wall textures for water-/lava-falls. The reason is that many
wads use replacements for these textures, and even original Doom wads other than
doom2.wad also use different textures for these, and my replacements often screwed
them up. So even though it makes me sad now only water/lava/slime flats (i.e.
floors/ceilings) are smooth.
- Footsteps are now more frequent
- Chainsaw now has some idle animation. I didn't like animations from original
Doom or Smooth Doom because, in my opinion, they both made the chainsaw look
like the blade is moving which shouldn't happen in idle state, so I use mine
*** STRUCTURAL CHANGE
- I decided to put wads indise a PK3. Why I keep the wads? Well, I'm old-fashioned this way. Anyway, now the important thing is that there's a BDOOM_MAIN.WAD inside this pk3: this wad contains all baisc objects and sprites for the game. If you want to play any other wad separately (like only weapons, only objects, only monsters), you will ALSO NEED THE BDOOM_MAIN.WAD with any of them! So be careful with that.
*** BUG FIXES
- Fixed code for light halos so that it should work more efficiently and also work in Zanondrum
- Fixed the bug that resulted in Enhanced Guns player being unable to use enhanced weapons after leaving the first map
*** BEHAVIOR CHANGE
- Increased Chaingun's alt. attack bullet spread
- Enhanced Guns Pistol now has 5 points of damage instead of 6, as it makes no sence for a pistol to deal more damage than a chaingun (the faster fire-rate for Enhanced Pistol is still present)
- Light halo size variation/flickering is now smoother
- Added smooth BFG ball explosion and proper gl lights
- Added smooth explosion sprites for revenant's, mancubus' and cacodemon's fireballs
- Turns out I had forgotten to actually include proper translucency change for a rocket's explosion. Now it's there.
- Revenant's seeker missile now makes a looped flying sound, similarly to player's rocket (but the sound is different)
(it's pretty cool to actually hear them fly)
- Arch Vile now shows animated fire spawning from his hands when attacking (if Advanced Flames aren't off)
- Hell Knight's/Baron of Hell's fireball has better (shorter and thicker) trail
- Enhanced Teleport Fog now added to the objects wad: includes new sprite, dynamic lighting, light halo
- Implemented a (hopefully) less memory-consuming method of creating light halos for torches and other light sources
- Light halos are now brighter
- Added a more efficient way to make blood drops disappear when they fall in water that will work both on TERRAIN water and water defined via other ZDoom and GZDoom methods (Transfer Heights, 3d floors)
- Incorporated footsteps scripting by The Zombie Killer instead of previous footstep mechanics
- Increased pistols spread when dual-wielding
*** NEW ALTERNATIVE ATTACKS (enhanced weapon set only):
- DUAL PISTOLS: Zombiemen have a chance of dropping an extra pistol (requires BDoom_monsters.wad as well). The basic attack of this weapon is the same as one pistol (during this attack Doomguy just holds the second pistol in the off hand), but the alt.attack allows you to dual-wield pistols for increased firerate. The trade off is inferior accuracy, harder ammunition control and there's a small delay before shooting while the Doomguy takes aim.
- HOMING ROCKET: enhanced rocket launcher's alt. attack allows to fire a homing rocket that flies slightly slower than regular rocket and homes in on targets within your field of vision. It may be erratic sometimes, homing in on different targets than you expected, but it's effective for delivering long-range explosions. On the other hand shooting these rockets is much slower than regular ones.
- Enhanced BFG alt.attack plasmaballs now can only bounce off planes a limited number of times (so that if you play GZDoom and fire them directly upwards or downwards you won't be stuck with them bouncing up and down forerever).
- Rocket's smoketrail is less opaque (so it doesn't block your vision too much)
- Rocket's explosion sprite were adjusted, proper translucency has been added, so the explosion looks smoother and better; the number of smoky debris spawned in the explosion is now randomized and reduced
- PlasmaRailgun (Plasma rifle alt.attack) now has a light halo and stays a little longer in the air, looks better
- If you choose Vanilla Guns, the Fist and the Pistol will be left-handed as in original Doom.
*** BEHAVIOR CHANGES
- Rocket Launcher deselection animation in enhanced guns is no longer faster than regular
- Monsters now rarely enter Decapitation death animation. Decapitation was originally intended to be a 'lighter gibbing' animation, mostly triggered only by explosions which didn't land close enough to fully gib the monster, while bullet weapons should almost never trigger it. That's how it works now.
- Imp enters gibbing animation slightly more often (in original Doom he's very resilient to gibbing).
*** BUG FIXES
- Fixed a bug where Chaingun spinning sound could get stuck playing on the loop if the weapon runs out of ammo while firing
*** VANILLA RULE VIOLATION FIX:
- As it turns out I was using wrong code for Fist which resulted in slightly different damage. Changed to fully vanilla now. (It used to be occasionally higher.)
*** NEW ALTERNATIVE ATTACKS (enhanced weapon set only):
- Much requested PLASMA RIFLE RAILGUN ALT.ATTACK. It takes 20 Cell, requires short charge and longer cooling than regular attack and deals 250-625 damage (10*random(10,25) to be precise) which is averagely the same as the same amount of plasma can do.
- SHOTGUN ALT.ATTACK: buttstock melee. Hits slightly stronger and further than fist but more slowly.
It also pushes enemies away. It's affected by Berserk too (as it's a physical attack).
Notice that you can shoot very quickly after performing melee.
- BFG ALT.ATTACK: similar to beta-Doom BFG attack with some tweaks. It has a slow charge and you can hold the charge button as long as you want;, the gun won't fire until you release the fire button.
When you do, it fires 40 green plasma balls each dealing 5 damage and able to bounce off floors and ceilings (not walls). The total damage is somewhat lower than a full BFG blast but has different tactical applications.
*** BUG FIXES:
- The mod now works with Ultimate Doom without the need of doom2.wad
- Fixed decorative dead bodies bugs
- Fixed resurrected Cacodemon being stuck to the floor
- Fixed a bug where imp would stay mirrored (walk backwards) when resurrected by Arch-Vile after certain death animations
- Fixed a few GL lights and changed Armor Bonus GL light
- Added a sweet HD pickup for Armor Bonus (thanks again, Death Egg)
- Added new death animation for Zombieman
- Added new death animation for Cacodemon
- Added sound variations to BFG ball explosion
- Added a flying mid-air sound for the flying rocket (if BDoom_weapsounds.wad is used)
- Removed one of Imp's deaths (it didn't look good plus even now he still has 3 basic variations)
- Added sprite variations for big brown tree and small burnt tree
*** BEHAVIOR IMPROVEMENTS:
- Small blood drops don't produce any sound when hitting TERRAIN water (big ones still do but there are much fewer of them)
- Lamps now don't block bullets and block projectiles (which is vanilla behavior) but still can be destroyed by explosions
- Lamps have more health (cannot be destroyed as easily)
Note: the logic here is that lamps are functional (i.e. give light) and shouldn't be easily destroyed
- Lamps' lens flare is now not completely static but flickers and varies in size
* New sprites for Cell Pack and Rocket Box (thanks Death Egg)
* Fixed a couple of typos in wads; now one small effect of Arachnotron's plasma works properly (thanks unRyker)
* Fixed Pinky and Spectre; turns out I still made a mistake in 6.0.9 that resulted in bugs in some versions (thanks Yutrzenika)
* Non-development versions of (G)ZDoom and Zanondrum shouldn't give an error now
* Fixed bugs with Demon and Spectre
* More death animations: new death anims for Shotgun Guy, Imp, Baron of Hell, Hell Knight, Mancubus and Revenant
* Fixed no pistol start
* Minor Sprite Fixing project sprites are now included in the mod
* Returned vanilla Chaingun screen sprite (not stretched)
* Death animations are occasionally mirrored for greater randomization
* Better Cell HD sprite
* Fixed Chaingun HD pickup sprite not appearing
* Fixed slightly wrong SSG firing animation length (this one is soo dificult; checked it 4 times)
* Fixed wrong sprite in SSG first frame of reloading animation
* Playerclass selection now works better
Detailed information about weapon stats is provided on the help screen (F1)
Added faster deselection for all enhanced weapons except BFG
Enhanced chainsaw doesn't pull you towards the enemy
* Added 2 player classes: vanilla weapons and enhanced weapons. They only differ in weapons.
The enhanced weapons has:
- Fist: faster, silent (doesn't alert enemies)
- Pistol: a little faster, +1 point of damage
- SSG: has alt.attack (the vanilla weapons player doesn't have it anymore)
- Chaingun: has alt.attack (the vanilla weapons player doesn't have it anymore)
* Added HD sprites for Light Amplification Goggles and better ammo boxes hi-res sprites (thanks Death Egg)
* Fixed decorative corpses: they now use proper sprites and are randomized just like actual monster corpses
* If you're high in the air you can't hear footsteps on the ground below anymore
* After trying and failing to change keys so that there would be different pickup sounds for keycards and skull keys as well as doors requiring cards or skulls, I stopped doing that. Now there's only one locked sound and one key pickup sounds, but keys work properly.
* Added missing XY sprite billboard flag to Invisibility Sphere
* Fixed correct version showing up in load screen (seems to be seen only if loading wads unpacked)
* Correct release date in txt :)
* BDoom_HDsprites.wad is included in the archive again (forgot it in the previous version)
* Added keycards and skullkeys HD sprites (thanks Death Egg)
* Added missing blue skull key dynamic light
* Fixed SSG main attack alternative sound (has more punch, sounds like pre-6.0.1)
* Cacodemon's fireball now looks better and also has correct coloring if fire effects are turned off
VERSION 188.8.131.52 (mini-update)
* BFG ball explosion is now original size (was smaller before) (thanks Zhs2)
* Decapitation death (losing head or arm but not gibbing) now doesn't appear as often (thanks Zhs2)
* Demon's head flies in the correct direction in the rare death animation where he loses his head
* HD and hires sprites are now in a separate Bdoom_HDsprites.wad. Those who do not like the new sprites can simply not use the wad. Those who like everything can just load the whole BDoom_60.zip as usual
* SSG main fire sound is not cut off by reload sound anymore
* SSG alt.fire sound is not quiet anymore
* Fixed a few missing GL-lights definitions
* EvilEye code looks slightly different
* Fixed SSG using 1 ammo instead of 2 in version 6.0.3 (thanks Kombine)
* Fixed multiplayer keys, now really, yes (thanks Zhs2)
* Changed sounds so that weapons only have a drawing sound when you use the sounds wad, but don't have it if you use standard sounds.
* Fixed menu sounds so that they work with any wads used
* Fixed wrong baron ball trail
* Weapons kickback is now original
* Blood pools are now limited to the amount of 50. They start despawning starting from the earliest one when more appear. Helps to conserve memory.
* SSG shells falling position is more varied
* Some small fixes in weapons original/alternative sounds
* Added BDoom_weapsounds WAD: if you don't use it, the weapons will have standard sounds.
* Fixed Debris Toggle function so that it properly affects all weapon