I need a handy editor to edit more than 4000 LineDefs without
bugs.
Doomed4 is buggy.
Deu2 freeze.
Deep97 is Shareware.
Waded freeze.
Dck32 not run.

Please help before Saturday.

What tool do you use to tell how many linedefs you have in a map? The reason I ask is that I created a massive map using WadAuthor, and with the exception of one visual bug (texture bleeding at one point) everything runs fine. However, I don't know how to tell how many linedefs it has. WadAuthor tells me the size of various aspects of the map (e.g., linedef size is 188,538) but it does not tell me how many. I tried WinTex and WinDeu to tell me, but they couldn't tell me either.

The massive map in WadAuthor (complex.zip in the Ports directory of ftp.cdrom.com) takes up the entire editing grid, and has many, many details, so I imagine the linedef count is way up there. I have used WadAuthor to make many other large maps, and I highly recommend it.

Guest spacedog

DCK 2.2 runs in does and can handle loads of linedefs but it does occasionally crash every hour

Deth rulz.

Hard to learn but worth the pain
I made levels with 31,000+ sidedefs and go fine. (32,000 or more sidedefs and mbf pops "segmentation violation"...)
Cya.

Guest spacedog
spacedog said:

DCK 2.2 runs in does and can handle loads of linedefs but it does occasionally crash every hour

Wadauthour is also shareware,(it runs out after 30 days), and deth is a right pain (i only use it for boom specials), but i just finished a level with over 4000 sidedefs (almost 3000 lines) and dck seemed to cope alright, i'm struggling to think what sort of level might possibly have 31,000 sidedefs, I must see it.

I checked my map Complex.wad, and it has at least 13,376 linedefs. As mentioned in my earlier post, I used Wad Author, which worked very well. (To check the number of linedefs I opened up the map in WadAuthor, and selected linedefs that I knew I had created last on the map. WadAuthor labels each linedef with a number, which is assigned in the sequence the linedef was created. The last sectors I created had linedefs numbered at over 13,300.)

Here's what I do... I design all my maps in WadEd. But for the big ones, I do them in little sections. Then I use an editor (Deep97 for me) or even WadAuthor to just paste the sections together. It's easier to split them by hallways or doors.

DETH is great if you're patient and methodical. It is extremely stable and bug-free but relatively slow and kind of hard to learn.

Guest timpani

The editor I use is Doomcad v6.1. I can load any sized level but it gets slow on a 10,000 linedef level. Depending on your CPU speed, I reckon it will be fine on a PC with a Pendium III 966mhz Proccessor and 256mb of ram. I've got an old trusty P200 and It goes fine on levels up to 6,000 linedefs before it begins pissing me off with slow speed. I made a 4500 linedef level for Doom Millennium (not released yet because of the fate of Doomnation).