Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

D3 Engine!

I am really happy that Carmack is starting the engine from scratch!
Let's take a look at ID'S history!
1)Wolf3D engine was revolutinary when it was first seen.
2)Doom engine was also revolutinary.
3)Quake engine wasn't revolutinary but it finally made FULL 3D enviroments unlike 2.5 of Doom (now it is better because of Zdoom and other modifications).
4)Basically Quake 2 engine is Quake 1 engine but because Quake 1 engine was upgraded so much it was called Quake 2 engine.
5)Quake 3 engine was almost a new rendering engine it wasn't a revolution but the graphics provided by it are increduble and it's the best engine on the market.
Halflife is actually based on Quake 1 engine not Quake 2!!!
But Valve rewrote 70% of the code which is the reason Halflife looks much better than other Quake 1 engine games (not that I can remember any except Malice but it was a mod anyway).
So D3 engine will definetly ROCK I can assure that!
It's John Carmack jesus!!!! and if anyone is worried about the framerates DON'T BE!!!! Carmack NEVER made a lousy engine in his life (WOLF3D,DOOM,QUAKE,QUAKE 2,QUAKE 3) Trinity was also supposed to be an engine but most of it's feature were implemented in Quake 3 Engine.
If u look at ID'S history from a graphic point of view it is clear that ID never had problems in the graphics department!
Their engines are always used for bechmarking!
They always make challenges to other companies!
Evertime they make an engine it is FAR than any other engine,and when other companies reach them they build another one like this!
So D3 engine will be FAR BETTER than any other engine!
Yes Geforce 2 GTS Ultra 64mb will be enough to play the game in low resolutions with IN THE BEST CASE medium details!
But in 2002 there will be Geforce 4 or 5 which will make it possible to play the game on 800x600&1024x768 resolutions with all options on including FSAA and still archieving beatifully stable 60FPS!
So DON'T WORRY!! D3 ENGINE WILL ROCK!
Carmack will make sure of that!!!

Yes!
iD never failed on technollogy, not even in graphics. We all can asume that the game will rock in this aspect. Now, it´s the content im worried about.

BTW, Dima, remember the Fake D3 pics contest? Based in Carmacks interviews, i´m cooking a pic in 3DSMAX that would look like (or even worse) D3. It´s a pain in the ass for today´s hardware, by the amount of time rendering.

Yeah it will be intresting to see ur picture send it to me when u finish it!
And what do u mean u r worried about the content?

Hexen 2 HMM...
It looked ok but very Quake alike enviroments it clearly showed the limits of the engine!

masterhassan said:

hexen 2 used the quake engine, it was also like the best looking game at the tiem (still not bad looking at its still fun to play)

Aah, Hexen II, i love that game. I can´t believe that the Egyptian Hub, Thysis, or the mission pack, Tulku are still beatiful to my eyes. You´re right, it was a major advance in terms of level designing. The detail amount was limited to Quake boundaries, but still it managed to shock me. I finish it again every couple of months, a very fun game, specially in coop.

Dima said:

Yeah it will be intresting to see ur picture send it to me when u finish it!
And what do u mean u r worried about the content?

Gameplay, story, innovations.

Like I said I don't think there is anything new to add to the gameplay especially for D3 the ideas u said in the "Will it make an impact" post are not right for D3.
D3 gameplay should have:
1)Elements from Halflife (It's story and maybe the interaction with the characters and scripted events).
2)Elements from Sof (Ghoul tech).
3)Elements from Doom (obvious) (scary enviroments,return of old monsters and weapons etc...).
I think ID aren't short of ideas yet...
I think the game will rock big time!

Zaldron said:

Aah, Hexen II, i love that game. I can´t believe that the Egyptian Hub, Thysis, or the mission pack, Tulku are still beatiful to my eyes. You´re right, it was a major advance in terms of level designing. The detail amount was limited to Quake boundaries, but still it managed to shock me. I finish it again every couple of months, a very fun game, specially in coop.

I just started that game over a week ago. I particularly like going through the first episode because I love destroying everything in sight. Afterwards, you can only bust up a few pots and statues ;( That egyptian hub was impossible to figure out though (had to run to the bookstore twice and check the hints), but the environments rocked. There was that one place in Episode 2, where there's a little stream running through a small outdoor area at the end of the tunnel. I swear I could live there, it's just got that at-home/at-rest feeling (minus the giant scorpions, of course.)