Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
islesofurth

Castle of Doom (1 Map)

This was a side project in my design course.
Originally intended to be a 32 pack but as my tutor got a job with Ubisoft the pack was never finished.
If you guys like my map i will upload the rest of the maps i have made that were inteded for the pack.
Perhaps i will also make some more :)

Follows Original Doom with classic Doom2
The map is in MAP28 slot, made for Doom 2 IWAD, uses IWAD assets only, tested with GZDoom.
Designed for possible Pistol start.
Yellow key non essential.
Non-linear progression.
Par time: 7min

WAD file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/97dz4zu44vi3tkr/CastleOfDoom_v1.1.wad?dl=0

sure looks huge... downloading now...

Played your map, is a huge and epic map in the vein of Deus Vault maps sets in MAP28 (a thing that you forgot to wrote, i was thinking this was for MAP01 and then i've idcleved all around the iwad searching for your map...), i liked it, is a very good effort for a first map (i think this is your first map...)!

The problems i found are:

- In general bad alignment and bad usage of upper/lower textures, on the caves the problem isn't really visible, but it seens on the GSTONEx textures... also add more health and ammo.

- The teleport sectors must be aligned too.

- The lava pit at the left side at the map entrance needs the damage effect on it's sector(s)

- The blue key door doesn't work for some reason

- The tower rooms needs more detail

- The platform with the yellow skull key and other goodies must be a normal sector instead of a secret one...

- The lower floor at the end of the staircase that leads to yellow key MARBFAC4 door needs to be enlarged, or that the imp on that spot could be at the upper section of said tower

- Same thing for the secret room at the right of the "activable staircases" room (that one with the puzzle switches that activates a staircase at the end of the long SP_HOT1 staircase...)

anyway for what port is intended (vanilla doom2.exe, boom-compatible, zdoom-compatible, etc. ?)

The map is in MAP28 slot, made for Doom 2 IWAD, uses IWAD assets only, tested with GZDoom.

and yes, its huge lol. so goodluck with the partime :P

islesofurth said:

Intended for Vanilla doom2.exe

Lol, no, doom2.exe would bomb out (or at least draw giant HOMs, but an immediate crash is more likely) with so many linedefs and planes in view.

Which port did you test with? At least PrBoom-plus, or just (G)ZDoom? Don't proclaim compatibility of your wads based on their format, always proclaim it based on actual testing in the intended engine.

It crashes with an "segmentation fault" error in chocolate-doom, so yeah it's definetely not vanilla compatible. PrBoom Plus crashes as well after some time with the default complevel.

thanks for testing with vanilla and limit-removing ports guys... played with zandronum or whatever is called and works perfectly.

scifista42 said:

Lol, no, doom2.exe would bomb out (or at least draw giant HOMs, but an immediate crash is more likely) with so many linedefs and planes in view.

Which port did you test with? At least PrBoom-plus, or just (G)ZDoom?

If you mean what game config it is set to, then its just set on "Doom 2"

tested with GZDoom.

And ya i did have trouble while making it, as its 1/2 the original size and many of the larger sectors had to be divided so it handled them better.

islesofurth said:

If you mean what game config it is set to, then its just set on "Doom 2"

No, I mean which program did you play with.

islesofurth said:

Follows Original Doom with classic Doom2 assets made with gzdoom.exe.

Now it's more like a nitpick, but a better wording would be "The map is in MAP28 slot, made for Doom 2 IWAD, uses IWAD assets only, tested with GZDoom." When you say "Original Doom with classic Doom2 assets", it's not clear whether the wad is for Doom 1 or Doom 2 IWAD, and "made with gzdoom.exe" doesn't make sense, as "made with" would imply that you're saying which editor did you made the map with, rather than which port did you test it with.

walter confalonieri said:

sure looks huge... downloading now...

Played your map, is a huge and epic map in the vein of Deus Vault maps sets in MAP28 (a thing that you forgot to wrote, i was thinking this was for MAP01 and then i've idcleved all around the iwad searching for your map...), i liked it, is a very good effort for a first map (i think this is your first map...)!

The problems i found are:

- In general bad alignment and bad usage of upper/lower textures, on the caves the problem isn't really visible, but it seens on the GSTONEx textures... also add more health and ammo.

- The teleport sectors must be aligned too.

- The lava pit at the left side at the map entrance needs the damage effect on it's sector(s)

- The blue key door doesn't work for some reason

- The tower rooms needs more detail

- The platform with the yellow skull key and other goodies must be a normal sector instead of a secret one...

- The lower floor at the end of the staircase that leads to yellow key MARBFAC4 door needs to be enlarged, or that the imp on that spot could be at the upper section of said tower

- Same thing for the secret room at the right of the "activable staircases" room (that one with the puzzle switches that activates a staircase at the end of the long SP_HOT1 staircase...)

anyway for what port is intended (vanilla doom2.exe, boom-compatible, zdoom-compatible, etc. ?)

Firstly thankyou & yes this is my first map :)

The wall textures were a pain to line up because of the height difference not following a divisible of the texture. I spent like 2 full days just trying to line that up lol.

Level 28 - Ya some key things that i should have pointed out sorry

The teleport sectors should be alinged, altho i had to move everything from map29 to map28 for the partime so they might be slightly off. Unless you found yourself in a door, thats because the door over the bridge wasnt lowered before entering that area. I duno about other doom adons etc but without clipping it shouldnt be possible.

The lava area on the left in the cave before you cross the bridge, ther should be a spot that doesnt have dmg on it but ill make sure its the correct area.

Blue key,yup right away i knew it.
I changed it from a 1 time blue switch to a repeatable blue door. But forgot to change sector properties to make it a door :(

Yellow key - these are only used for secret areas 2 total. So getting them is in itself a secret. Tho kinda obvious if you look around.

I will have a look at everything tonight and update OP with new link.

Tnx again this feedback is really helpful
😊

scifista42 said:

Now it's more like a nitpick, but a better wording would be "The map is in MAP28 slot, made for Doom 2 IWAD, uses IWAD assets only, tested with GZDoom." When you say "Original Doom with classic Doom2 assets", it's not clear whether the wad is for Doom 1 or Doom 2 IWAD, and "made with gzdoom.exe" doesn't make sense, as "made with" would imply that you're saying which editor did you made the map with, rather than which port did you test it with.

Ok tnx
And i dont mind the nitpick,it helps me become a better designer :)

Spent the last 6 hours updating map.

seems i had mixed my files and i was working of an older save.
Took some time but its better than ever :)

Castle of Doom V1.1 change log:

*Texture alignment for about 20 areas.
*changed brightness in some sectors to better suit the room.
*Blue door is now an actual door and works.
*Added more ammo, health and armour based on level difficulty.
*Archvile's now only spawn in 2nd last room on hard.
*Added a couple extra monster based on difficulty to compensate for the extra pickups.
*Monster now properly teleport into the Arena.

How Ammo and pickups should feel:

easy - i'ma wall check with rockets
normal - you ain't so tough
hard - you want me to punch em to death?

Secrets are non essential and pickup testing was done without use of any secrets.