Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jeremixh

FMOD Ex or OpenAL?

in my opinion, i'd prefer both but mainly openal cause, for fmod ex, we have the sound system as the normal midi device, microsoft gs, fluidsynth, gus, opl, timidity++, and wildmidi, its obviously perfect to place in the audiopack from zdoom 2.8.1 to gzdoom 2.4.0 for fluid, gus, timid, and wild, any versions that's lower to 3.0.0. but openal, above gzdoom 3.0.0, sound system's removed, microsoft gs, fluidsynth, timidity++, wildmidi, gus, opl, libadl, and libopn, now its completely accessible to change through reverb and chorus at the midi player options for fluidsynth, which create a loud background sound comparing fmod ex, there's no setting for sound system, which it stays normal, and certain midi devices like timidity++, background sound's terrible, and wildmidi couldn't be played like 2.4.0 in above 3.0.0 no more, and i added the snd_wildmidi file in to 3.3.2. what y'all think?

GZDOOM g2.4.0  64-bit (2017-03-19 21_36_18 +0100) 6_8_2019 3_24_01 PM.png

DOOM 2_ Hell on Earth 6_8_2019 3_25_32 PM.png

5 hours ago, xvertigox said:

timidity++ with a SC-55 soundfont

i forgot about adding soundfonts in to timidity++, thanks my g.

On 6/8/2019 at 10:27 PM, Nevander said:

I prefer FMOD because OpenAL does not sound as clear and loud as FMOD does.

Victim of the loudness war... :P

On 6/10/2019 at 4:45 AM, Graf Zahl said:

Victim of the loudness war... :P

What can I say? I like my sounds loud.

Then turn up the volume! :P

Yes, it's a known issue that OpenAL's output is roughly 3 dB quieter than FMod on the same volume setting but aside from that it does a lot less postprocessing (FMod reduces volume of high frequencies and amplifies the bass to give it more 'oomph!') and I find its 3D sound field a lot more natural than FModEx.