Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Little Faith

Quicktime woes.

For some time ago I installed Quicktime in order to view Quicktime-specific movies.

My problem, however, is that when ever I open some sound or video part of a website Quicktime now insists on handling it. Even when it doesn't have the functionality to do so.

If I for example click on a link to a midi file Quicktime pops up with a window telling me it lacks the functionality.

How do I reset Internet Explorer to ignore Quicktime when trying to load such elemetents?

I have tried configuring Quicktime itself to no avail.

You'll have to go into your Control Panel>Folder Options to edit filetype associations. It's a pain, and it'll only be temporary, since QT and WMP(or whatever other all-purpose player you have) will always be fighting over domination of your computer.

I find it odd that QT doesn't play .mid files for you. Is it upgraded? Does it ask to download something? Anyway, you'd probably be better off just getting WinAmp and having that handle everything.

Quicktime has like 3 control panes to configure what it will or will not handle.

Check to be sure that you got them all. There's a MIME configuration which handles in-browser media, filetype association configuration which handles local media, and I think something else but I forget.

Numbermind said:

Anyway, you'd probably be better off just getting WinAmp and having that handle everything.

Except Winamp doesn't open Quicktime files, and if he installs Winamp on top then he is more than likely just going to add another combatant to the grand arena of file extension takeover wars.

insertwackynamehere said:

Goto Edit>Preferences>QuickTime Preferences and select File Type Associations from the dropdown bar. Then click File Types...

AND Mime handling.