Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MSPaintR0cks

Making sounds usable in Doom

The old doom source ports only allow sounds with 11025 Hz, so how can I turn down the quality of my own sounds that I want to put in my wad? I have tried it for a while in Audacity, but for some reason it only slows the sound down when I choose a lower sound quality. Also, after I exported it, Prboom (the old version) won`t accept the sound and just gives me an error message. What the fuck.

Could someone please show how that could be done?

Sounds have to be 8-bit mono but can be of any frequency, not just 11025. But if you want to lower your sounds to 11025 or 22050 in order to lower wad file size you can use windows sound recorder which I found actually seems to convert sounds in higher quality than audacity. still i think some ports are picky though

In addition to what SonicIce noted, you also need to save the sound in the DOOM sound format. With XWE you can do that, for example, using the Wave menu that appears when a recognized sound lump is selected.

SonicIce said:

you can use windows sound recorder

Not if you use Windows 7 or Vista, which killed off the application completely (it doesn't even have playback).

For now, I'm stuck with Audacity's pretentious project document interface. Everywhere I'm looking for the old sound recorder on the internet, the chaps tell me to get Audacity instead. While I appreciate that application, I prefer the simplicity of the old sndrec.

printz said:

Not if you use Windows 7 or Vista, which killed off the application completely (it doesn't even have playback).

For now, I'm stuck with Audacity's pretentious project document interface. Everywhere I'm looking for the old sound recorder on the internet, the chaps tell me to get Audacity instead. While I appreciate that application, I prefer the simplicity of the old sndrec.

try this
http://jord.nm.ru/sndrec32.zip
may need to copy it to windows\system32