• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Finely Crafted Fetish Film [7 puzzle maps for boom]

8 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Also let's all talk about this for a while:

image.png.d23084f8a7a5c4a2ee9c3dc0b4ee88a5.png

I hadn't seen that before! What a cute detail.

I also like the 

Spoiler

Vending machine

I'm stuck in M07, specifically in the enclosure where the red skullkey keeps. I got the three keycards and the red skullkey, but I can't find the way to return to the main hall or the initial enclosure. Walk through areas with E1 and semi-distorted arquitecture which I love too much + that creepy music that reminds me the lavanders town song, is going to make me mad or sadomasochist.

I need an "yes or no" answer for the next question: Can I leave this enclosure IN THE WAD OLD VERSION? I don't know if the author corrected some relevant mechanicals in the new version.

Anyway, great wad. Very original. 01, 03 and 07 are my favourite maps.

EDIT: Don't answer, I found a way. I was overwhelmed by all I wrote above.

Edited by Rednov : Problem solved

Thought I'd resurrect this instead of posting in frog/toad thread...but more clarification for someone getting into your maps...please? Thanks a ton!

First up: Am I not supposed to jump? I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to be jumping and am a big cheater! What about crouching?

I got pretty far on map01...is the chess board puzzle, er checkers, yeah, is this critical path? Didn't figure out the puzzle, but no hints (yet)! Am I supposed to be able to scroll around the mini-map to check the numbers when I'm at the board? I'm using gzdoom, but don't know how to pan the mini-map without also moving the player, and I think I see people able to doing that on YT vids. Am I hopeless?

I loved map02! Great stuff there! Are the enemies (other than the starting 2) ones you are meant to encounter? Part of a secret...or some map thing I don't understand?

Will playing on "I'm too young" mess up the maps? (That's difficulty 1 right?) I noticed you said above that playing on HMP or lower will nerf some puzzle stuff in a later map? I'd like to nerf combat sure, but not puzzles unless "puzzles" means "combat" as I've learned they often can in this crazy Doom mod scene! Is difficulty 1 like an unmentionable no-no? I need to know...

You make cool stuff! I'm might just make this mapset my personal Doom rite of passage!

46 minutes ago, z_bill said:

First up: Am I not supposed to jump? I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to be jumping and am a big cheater! What about crouching?

The maps are all beatable without jumping and crouching. Jump at your own risk, I didn't design around it so you'll likely sequence break the maps or possibly get stuck somewhere ;D

47 minutes ago, z_bill said:

is this critical path? Didn't figure out the puzzle, but no hints (yet)! Am I supposed to be able to scroll around the mini-map to check the numbers when I'm at the board?

That area is completely optional, feel free to skip. Also, for many things in this wad I assumed the players would probably write stuff onto pen and paper (unless your memory is really sharp).

Worth noting that the actual route to complete that map requires a bit of familiarity with some doom engine quirks. Notably:

Spoiler

red key: how monsters behave when on ledges (this is port dependent, for zdoom make sure you have "boom (strict)", and "Monsters get stuck over dropoffs" set to YES

blue key: what kind of platforming jumps are possible to make

53 minutes ago, z_bill said:

Are the enemies (other than the starting 2) ones you are meant to encounter? Part of a secret...or some map thing I don't understand?

There's a decent chunk of that map which is wholly optional (a running theme in the wad). Fair warning that the extra content is pretty hardcore (on any difficulty setting) and is probably not to most people's tastes :p

56 minutes ago, z_bill said:

Will playing on "I'm too young" mess up the maps? (That's difficulty 1 right?) I noticed you said above that playing on HMP or lower will nerf some puzzle stuff in a later map? I'd like to nerf combat sure, but not puzzles unless "puzzles" means "combat" as I've learned they often can in this crazy Doom mod scene! Is difficulty 1 like an unmentionable no-no? I need to know...

I'm glad to see someone choose skill 1/2 honestly, those were the settings I intended for players who wanted the puzzle elements but with less obnoxious combat getting in the way. The only place in the wad where the puzzliness is affected is map07: where UV is borderline impenetrable, but on skill 1/2 the obscure progression elements are reduced or eliminated.

Best of luck!

Just to maybe prove I'm not a total loss!

I actually loved the end content of map02. Weird glitchy platforming is a lot of what I'm looking for!

fcff02.png

Finely got around to playing this after seeing physixcat playing map 01 on stream. 

Wasn't sure what to expect from anything, first time through map 1 I barely found 2 secrets. Checkers secret wasn't too bad because I had read the comments here, I did miss the checkers board guide on the minimap and ended up googling to see how moves are recorded. 

Map 2's puzzle was fun to figure out, once it was figured out the solving part seemed to drag. It possibly could of used a non-linear progression to spice it up. 

Map 3 felt like a throwback to crumpets, you can SSG the icon through the gap in the ground near the blue key tease area. 

Map 4. Oldschool moving boulder puzzles.  I sr50'd across the red key scroll floor without the red key, it took a lot of attempts and was meaningless but fun to do. Punching the barrel across the moving floor was a nice twist.  The ending had me confused for quite some time, trial and error solved it more than anything. No idea how to kill Mr Imp. 

Map 5. Theme, puzzles, ending. 10/10 map honestly. Even if I did get stuck in the 2nd pillars puzzle for approximately 4 hours due to multiple red herring paths that had no solution. Took a break, came back fresh and solved it in short time. I love this map.

Map 6. The opening to this map might be me favourite part of the wad, surreal and sexy.  The southern slaughter encounter was spicy, trippy and wonderful. I'm really glad it was a 3d floor and not platforming like I initially feared. The blending of city and hell works surprisingly well. The only criticism I would have for the map is it felt like I had to repeat the northern areas route many times while exploring and it felt dragged out with the multiple lifts. 

Map 7. Oh boy this is a map. No idea what the hell is happening at the start, freaked me out a little. Finding the initial secret keycards took approximately 4~ hours. Eventually I decided it was quicker to learn how to download, load and use a map editor. At some point I was thinking about trying to rocket jump to the exit vile and then double vile jumping to the yellow key, it might of worked but I'm glad it wasn't the solution. Using TNTEM to kill monsters certainly had me confused with the teleporting keycards, bravo. 

Decided to tackle the Bunnyhop/white platforming section next, my favourite area in the entire wad. Reminded me of all the hours I had spent playing CSS bhop, exploring was encouraged and I loved every moment of it. The rocket jumps were clearly indicated and the final fight of the area was a nice touch. 

Lastly the hard section. Rocketing imps will always be fun, even if it drags on for an entire year (slaughter max map 31...). Fun little infinite ammo pool at the cost of health, used as much ammo as I dared to clear the remaining monsters and progressed on. From here it felt like a throwback to crumpets in some ways. After the monsters were dead I was stuck, the exit was right there but I couldn't find the yellow skull key. Several hours of wandering around with IDDT enabled, I recalled the secret red keycard in magnolia map 01. Finally I could progress! Then there was barrels, many barrels.  

After solving the barrel situation, I was able to finally progress to the finale, back to where it began. Took about an hour of attempts to beat the finale without saves, fun way to end the map. 

Normally it'd end there but I had skipped a glide, I swear I saw a linedef between two pillars. Decided this was the time to learn how to glide, poor choice. I read zeromasters posts on the topic and went to practice. It took approximately 10 hours of practice to finally land the north to south glide for the cells. Doubt I'll ever use glides again but it was fun to learn something new about such an old game. Doom 2 map 21, underhalls and plutonia 09 were the maps I practiced on. I had no idea at the time if a glide was even possible in the spot I was thinking of.

Thank you for this journey Ribbiks.

P.S I listened to the midi the entire time.