Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SirJuicyLemon

Fair way to play Doom on modern source ports?

tbh, i always hated Lost Souls, 'cause i see them as just a cheap way to strip me of bullets/shells. they are basically not a threat, and not fun to fight with. and so i hate PE even more, as it has no interesting attacks, only adds more bullet sponges.

sure, PEs can be used as a way to distract player from other enemies (as most people want to kill PE before it spits enough skulls), and as tactical element (some players can try to leave some PEs alive somwhere, with enough skulls to make other PEs harmeless), but for me, it doesn't justify their boringness.

meeting PE for the first time (and several times later) was interesting, but that factor quickly wears off.

it looks like map authors generally thinks the same, and aren't using PEs much.

2 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

Interesting! I knew that Terminator: Future Shock was the first game to include Freelook since i had read about that when i looked up all of Bethesda's games at one point (i also knew someone who actually had Future Shock and i did try it a little bit when i was younger) but i had no idea about the Duke Nukem part. Thanks for the info! :)

Future Shock was pretty cool if incredibly rough around the edges. It's probably my favorite Terminator game. If it hadn't been for the one-two punch of Duke 3D and Quake it probably wouldn't be as obscure as it is today.

also, we can say that T:FS pioneered GTA too -- it had 3d open world, vehicle driving, and mission objectives.

4 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

I ask so because in Hell Revealed 1, there was a neat 'trick' at the beginning of one map where you see a couple Pain Elementals but they seem to be 'sterile'. It's deceiving however because not long after tripping a linedef a buncha Lost Souls somewhere in the void get crushed and this causes the Pain Elementals to become harmful.

I completely forgot about this, this is pretty funny. Maybe there are other cases in that era of 100% vanilla mapping.

4 hours ago, ketmar said:

tbh, i always hated Lost Souls, 'cause i see them as just a cheap way to strip me of bullets/shells. they are basically not a threat, and not fun to fight with. and so i hate PE even more, as it has no interesting attacks, only adds more bullet sponges.

sure, PEs can be used as a way to distract player from other enemies (as most people want to kill PE before it spits enough skulls), and as tactical element (some players can try to leave some PEs alive somwhere, with enough skulls to make other PEs harmeless), but for me, it doesn't justify their boringness.

meeting PE for the first time (and several times later) was interesting, but that factor quickly wears off.

it looks like map authors generally thinks the same, and aren't using PEs much.

PEs act like a timer so you have to find a way to neutralize them fast. They are often set up in ways that have you wondering how to handle the issue while other pressing matters are going on. It's a time awareness matter. I suggest to read @Linguica's post about Doom 2 monsters, it's very good: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/69870-how-does-doom-compare-to-doom-ii/?do=findComment&comment=1300059

One could argue the way they work in modern sourceports is the full realization of the concept in this regard.

Edited by Kira