Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DFF

Interception II CP (Old thread, Return to original)

Alright, bumping the thread to upload the aforementioned Map12 replacement proposal. Build time took just a couple days, but in the end, I think I produced an intro to E2 that's both more fun and more in line with what the rest of the episode's maps are like.

I ditched the gold theme and went for more of a Nukage/Mining Facility aesthetic, and I tried to stay consistent with the texture themes throughout. Ditching the gold theme also lets Map14 stay unchanged should DukeofDoom not want to make the yellow liquid damaging. We can also ditch that cumbersome planet sky now.

I call this level, Deep Space Mine: https://drive.google.com/open?id=15CXd7-aY-kCNuas7adqtZrCkJAXS2871

Let me know what you all think. It's a first draft, so it's obviously going to have areas that can be improved such as detail, skill balancing, etc.

map12-R1_1.png

map12-R1_2.png

map12-R1_3.png

map12-R1_4.png

@Moustachio

Played through map12. Don't have many individual points but overall its a fun little map. gameplay feels good overall, secrets range from a little easy to engaging to find. Overall its a nice map and I liked it. Just could use a bit of detailing. there's good elements already but I found that there was also long streches of uniform wall that could use a little extra definition, as well as some walls felt a bit too doom 1993 at least when compared to other detailing in the map.

I also am thinking about re-ordering all of chapter 2, and since you included the recurring shuttle exit, it may have to be moved from 12 to the other trio of maps with the shuttle.

I'd give it a 7/10, I can work on detailing if you wish.

The main issues I found was that the secret nukage wouldn't damage the player, It works if you change the generalized effect to damage for 5 every second. Also while cool the secret megasphere area is darker than the regular outside. may not be an issue but I find that unless there's a obvious reason, outdoor segments should have even lighting if its straight up sky over land. (reasons for shading may be an obvious sun location, building overhangs or caves, just thought to leave example in case).
Also in the southernmost tip of the map there's a gap between the base and some rocks where you can seee barren areas and some mismatched sky heighs, i'd suggest covering that up, Or i can fix that.

Edited by DerFurer'sFace

I think I'll try and detail the map as I wish. I don't want to detail it too much since I was going for a simple, more classic look akin to Interception I or, yes, 1993's Doom. I'll cover up the longer stretches of wall. I don't want to cover up any of the perimeters of the map since I want to give the impression that this is one huge building you're just not seeing all sides of. I'll add some more detail out there as well as a fenced area to give it a little purpose. The darker secret area was meant to be the side of the building the light is facing away from, and it looked more interesting anyway, so I'll just add some faux-directional shading in the corresponding outdoor areas. Thanks for playing through the map!

Alright, got the second revision of Map12 here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=17QlIWv3KF7nrA1QaUcGTvehS_LQ4E7iO

Changes:

• Ammo has been rebalanced on all difficulties.
  • UV has been made much, much more difficult, but still possible.
  • Added a ton of detail in as many areas as I could think of.
  • Coop cyberdemon!
  • More barrels!
  • All of the outside areas now have a consistent light level (looks like it's perpetually nighttime on this moon base).
  • Bug fixes!
  • One secret megasphere has been swapped out for the BFG.
  • The southernmost tip has been transformed into a new side area.
  • New CWILV is included in the wad.

I think this is as far as I can go, so @DerFurer'sFace can make any adjustments deemed necessary. Just about the only thing I ask is that the more "classic" aesthetic is maintained since that was sort of the theme of this particular E2 level (what with all the METAL2 variants, the TEKGREN, the BROWN textures and so forth).

uzBiIxp.png

@Moustachio Ran through R2 of the map. Looks really nice! I really love the outdoor areas, very nice changes. Overall UV was fair, not too easy or hard. There was a teleport of zombies, revs and an archvile outside I think after grabbing the yellow key, they tended to group up outside away from the yellow door and could be easily bypassed. Also an imp fell off the wall in the BFG secret making 100% kills impossible. Other than making some ledges not passable bu monsters and maybe a couple re-texturing or detailing in a few spaces, overall a very good map and probably not needing much work.

@NaZa Just wanted to send a reminder to have your map done by sunday the 17th, let me know if you need a little more time.

Map's like 96% done, but I couldn't transfer and make the changes yesterday (or today) because I was away from PC. I'll send the map in cca 24 hours from now.

Sounds good, I appreciate you working to finish it.

@NaZa Sorry I was rather busy this week, its past due, whats the progress on your map?

Here's revision 2 of Map10https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IyXrqh-A1XfOn_Twu36tYIzIavhXhqux

I took both the sky suggestions from the "what are you working on" thread and combined them. All the textures are included in the wad so you don't have to fiddle around with any resource pack, just load the wad by itself.

Here's the final sky I used. I took the royalty-free sky from elend's post, colorized it, and squished it vertically:

YoFrb1Y.png

Screenshots:

vlWW6kt.png

And here's revision 3 of Map04https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ffxDzV-QBf8yPwyND7Ma763iu53mTQ5p

This one doesn't have the textures embedded, so it should be loaded on top of the latest revision of the main wad.

Screenshots:

falYmGE.png

The sky I'm using in the Map04 screenshots is another Mechadon's Box o' Skies sky, but this one is vertically seamless, which looks a lot better in E1 where there is an abundance of sky.

1VzFTIH.png

Edited by Moustachio