Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Terraformer9x

Possible void glide skip for Map31?

So this isn't so much showing off a run more than it is showing what's possible. I found a void glide in Wolfenstein that can go straight to the exit. I have no idea how potentially faster it may be and the run itself is pretty sloppy since I'm not a speedrunner myself, but like I said, I only recorded this to show off that it's possible.

-complevel 2

-longtics (needed for mouse precision, it's possible without it but a pain)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/272004467791101963/670212181203091457/31glide.lmp

Mirrored locally 31glide.lmp.zip

I am pretty sure I have seen someone mention this geometry as a potential void glide location but I personally haven't seen a demo using it. I can't imagine it's faster than the normal method but for a "reality" demo it would help you avoid a ton of hitscanners. (Quick someone record a TAS reality stroller demo)

42 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Mirrored locally 31glide.lmp.zip

Thanks for mirror. Could I ask what's a good program to see a .lmp file? I would guess some port, curious to know the best way, like if there's a viewer or something.

ON TOPIC: I never knew void glides or similar might be possible in the Wolf engine. I know that normally impassable walls/doors/decorations can be made passable, there's one place in the game where you can walk through a normal blue door because a patrolling guard is right next to it, walking towards it in the editor.

I don't know the technical side but it seems like patrolling enemies on startup render the block in front of them passable while still showing the graphics of what's there. Maybe it's something in the code to guarantee no obstruction, though that probably makes less sense than some other artifact of the patrolling routine. It was used as a 'mapper trick' in user levels on rare occasion. I can't speak to any other locations that might be glitchy in this way.

Use PrBoom+ with the following command line:

prboom-plus -iwad doom2.wad  -playdemo 31glide.lmp -complevel 2 -longtics

LOL Forgot what forum I was on there for a second. Thanks for the clarification hahah

You all now know some trivia for that day you start your Wolf3d megawad. Interesting, thanks for making the thread and tyvm @jval I will use that.

Check my Map31 TAS from year 2014 :-)

This means, it is slower route.

This trick falls into the same category as the E2M6 void glide. The moment that was discovered is the moment every iwad map with such geometry was discovered.

I figured that this was already found out. It's ironic the glide exists on one of the most cubical maps in the game haha.

Again, sorry for the very sloppy demo. It was 5 in the morning and I was trying to atleast demonstrate that it's possible. Funny thing is, I had some pretty flawless runs going to the spot where you did the void glide beforehand. But I had to scrap those as I couldn't do it properly since I wasn't using -longtics.

Don't worry, the void glide can be quite annoying at times... and there's the speed-up feature in Prboom+ :-)