Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Czerny399

My first map Rothes (Near Final- will be part of megawad)

5/23/2020 Edit:

I have essentially finished Rothes as of map now, for a GZdoom version uploaded here.Survival purposes).  Will change once more, as it will be part of a megawad with a friend. Midi Music is temporarily from Baten Kaitos Survival from Force Midi music.  Original music picked was actual music, and I don't won't anyone to get copyright notices playing on Twitch/Youtube.

Download at bottom of post.

There is also a Zdaemon compatible version, but that is intended for Thursday Night survival.

(older post)

Hello, Doom World.

First map I've made, started a few days prior to upload today 4/20/2020.

* What is included *

New levels : 1
Other files required: None

* Play Information *

Game: Doom 2
MAP01
Single Player: Designed for
Cooperative 2-4 Player: Not sure- would be over quick.
Deathmatch 2-4 Player: No!
Other game styles: None!
Jump Crouch?: Can be played without Jumping or Crouching.
Difficulty Settings: Assumed to play on Ultra Violence

* Construction *

Editor(s) used: GZDoom Builder 2.3 R2787
Build Time: A few days before 4/20/2020.  Mostly learning the hoops of Doom building.
Known Bugs: None.  Imp got pushed behind a wall, probably the fault of monster interaction.
Tested Source ports:GZDoom, ZDoom.
May Not Run With...: Vanilla Doom, or those of non-limit sources ports. I have not tested these methods.

Screenshot_Doom_20200420_142244.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200420_142358.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200420_142414.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200420_142420.png

1stMapRothes.zip

FnlRothesMaptMidi.zip

Edited by Czerny399 : Update

Not too bad for a first attempt at making a wad (or at least, for your first released wad). The gameplay was decently solid with no real major hiccups in terms of difficulty (at least on HMP difficulty).

There is one major flaw though, and that's the texture usage. It seems like you just chose random textures and painted them all over the place. A good wad almost always has a reason to use X texture here and Y texture there (especially when it comes to textures like crates, key-door signs, liquids, etc...)

Also if anyone wishes to play this in Vanilla DooM/Chocolate DooM I can confirm 0 bugs (though I didn't get 100% secrets).

On 4/21/2020 at 4:34 AM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Not too bad for a first attempt at making a wad (or at least, for your first released wad). The gameplay was decently solid with no real major hiccups in terms of difficulty (at least on HMP difficulty).

There is one major flaw though, and that's the texture usage. It seems like you just chose random textures and painted them all over the place. A good wad almost always has a reason to use X texture here and Y texture there (especially when it comes to textures like crates, key-door signs, liquids, etc...)

Also if anyone wishes to play this in Vanilla DooM/Chocolate DooM I can confirm 0 bugs (though I didn't get 100% secrets).

Thanks for trying it.  The secret in the very beginning sometimes doesn't register when walking over.  The rest should be straight forward in plain sight, aside from the one within the Blue door.

One setting I couldn't find is the Deaf option, which is actually Ambush players in some settings.  Thus the first fire of weapon, most of the monsters will come toward you right away, making it a huge chokepoint at the two pillar area if you aren't fast enough.

In terms of textures, if the map is small I wanted it to be different in each spot.  Suppose that if I were making a bigger map there would be distinct per area or sector using only a selection.  Again, still learning the chops.  I would make a marking as an entrance aside from key doors, even if the player wouldn't notice consciously.

Huh, not bad.  Off on the right foot imo.  I particularly like the little mini walk-up platforming structures in a couple places.  I'm a big fan of those and variations of those.

Here's a FDA recorded in prboom+ (complevel 2; limit removing; should be able to replay in ports like Crispy Doom etc)

noisy_caverns_fda.zip

@Clippy Ah thanks for playing my map, blind and go through a few times. I was learning as I go with it, so the secrets are not exactly planned thoroughly.  Sometime, may revise the map for a larger wad making with the pace.  Unfortunately the Deaf option I was seeing other tutorials, it was Ambush players for the ticked box, so most of the monster will attack, making a few Choke points between the two pillars and Marble ruins. That trick with the stairs was I learned from https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/74073-vanilla-level-editing-lesson-1-preliminary-reconnaissance/

BFG, I had in mind is like a Superbomb.

SSG secret with Commander Keen was done deliberate as an evil room.  One should look at the context of symbols and how used.  Also the angle of Commander Keen faces and where placed is also deliberate.

As for the name Rothes, I did open small bottles of Glenrothes Single Malt Scotch, drank them while making this map. Was kinda plain, but hey Rothes sounds like a good name- that was picked.  Glen would imply in the valley or river going through.  There might be more booze names, though probably on as Map name. Poli Morbida, Tomintoul or Cadens Head should be names in future.

Also I liked that you had Rise of the Triad music playing- that should be used more.

@NoisyVelvet  Sorry.  Couldn't figure out to replay the demos after trying them with Crispy, Chocolate, and PrBoom- I must be doing something wrong.  But thanks for trying the Map.  Platforming like that can be fun- it was less wide at first, but then made it larger so it would catch on.

Did a reworking of the Rothes map, and is essentially the final version. Download at first post.

Don't remember when I had completed it, but I had to deal with UDMF, and then finding out about ZDoom Doom 2 Hexen Format which allows play for Zdaemon.  So there is Zdaemon Compatible version with the correct use of flats and textures(though that will be uploaded when Megawad project with friend is finally done.)

Revenants up high sure dominate the field, hence 2 rather than 4 expected(Zdaemon version has 4 and more monsters)